3D Fish Tank Backgrounds

SuperClown;624322 wrote: What kind of paint did you use and what was it sealed with. Is this going to bea sw tank?
Dave's probably busy moving fish into it.. (if he doesn't mind, I'll answer)

he purchased the background (but had to do a lot of DIY to it to get what you see - like adding surface skimmer "teeth" and punching the holes in it for the purpose of equalizing pressure on both sides of the feature). there's about 4" of clearance at the top between the back glass and the feature.

it's for freshwater fish (discus)..

Rbredding;624325 wrote: Dave's probably busy moving fish into it.. (if he doesn't mind, I'll answer)

he purchased the background (but had to do a lot of DIY to it to get what you see - like adding surface skimmer "teeth" and punching the holes in it for the purpose of equalizing pressure on both sides of the feature). there's about 4" of clearance at the top between the back glass and the feature.

it's for freshwater fish (discus)..

What Ron said!!!:D

Edit:
SuperClown;624322 wrote: What kind of paint did you use and what was it sealed with. Is this going to bea sw tank?

I didn't make this. I bought it. If I could do that level quality work, I'd go into business!

It is an aqua-terra product:
a>

Looks amazing Dave!! I agree with Ron. I'm surprised you didn't start filling her up while we were there. Can wait to see her stocked with fish

Hey dave when you got a sec and not.busy would love some more info on where you got the background. I can make them myself but that is top notch and I would rather just by one and save myself.the trouble of digging foam glue out of my hair later

SuperClown;624384 wrote: Hey dave when you got a sec and not.busy would love some more info on where you got the background. I can make them myself but that is top notch and I would rather just by one and save myself.the trouble of digging foam glue out of my hair later

Here is the website of the place I ordered it from:

a>

Wow it looks super but also looked like it took up most of the tank too or was that just the 3d visual effect

redpacus;627296 wrote: Wow it looks super but also looked like it took up most of the tank too or was that just the 3d visual effect

It takes up a lot of room in the tank, but not a ton of water volume. That is the point, however, to a 3D background. It looks literally like a tree stump in the Amazon. I am guessing that the foam mass takes up about 30 gallons of water itself. If I was concerned about the actual amount of space it displaces, I would tape a picture background to the back of the tank. It is the realism these give you that makes it worth doing.

There are backgrounds like this that are very thin and don't protrude much into the tank, but you don't get the same visual effect of a tree stump foot within 1/2" of touching the front glass panel.

Back