Adding CBB to tank with yellow tang...chances of survival?

davidinga

Market
Reaction score
I have a 210gal mixed reef with an established 3.5"ish yellow tang in it; what are the odds of being able to add a medium sized copperband butterfly with the yt? If I added the CBB I would initially keep the CBB in a isolation container inside the DT to see how bad it might be. Then if that goes ok I would rearrange the rockwork and be prepared to use a big mirror and/or lights out for a few days... Thoughts?

Current fish:
medium yellow tang
medium/large foxface lo
medium clown tang (no aggression yet)
medium blonde naso
percula
3 chromis
watchman goby
starry blenny
matted filefish
red coris wrasse
melanarus wrasse

I should also add I've just recently upped my flow even more and am not sure the CBB would care for the higher flow environment....???

Standard 210gal and I am running a 1262 eheim return (800ish gph) and then I have two WP40's (usually running 80-90% power) and 1 WP60 (50-100% power).

i have had luck with that, although the ccb did get chased a lot in the beginning, the biggest problem i had was the ccb at night getting caught in my mp40 power heads

larrynews;957575 wrote: i have had luck with that, although the ccb did get chased a lot in the beginning, the biggest problem i had was the ccb at night getting caught in my mp40 power heads

The CCB gets caught in your mp40?! I wonder what would happen if one got near my WP60?!! Hmm...

mine was in a 125g, 6 ft tank, and ccb drift around when they sleep, even in night mode it happened. that would be only real concern. but as you know anything can happen, with any fish

i have had a cbb and yellow together for 3 years or more with very little aggression.ive NEVER seen my cbb sleep,hes constantly moving at night.if your cbb is getting caught by a powerhead,i would worry about its health,they are excellent swimmers.in my standard 120g,i have a 1262 return,2 mp40s and an mp10 all 100% and have never seen my cbb even get close to getting caught.the wp60 may be another animal though,ive heard of fish getting stuck to the mp60

On kind of a separate thought I ordered a CBB from live aquari and was wondering when he arrives should I do a slow/fast drip or fast pour acclimation? I know CBB are delicate so I'm kind of undecided on which acclimation to do. On the one hand a slow acclimation would help with SG shock but then on the other hand ammonia build up from a slow drip could be just as deadly....thoughts?

Back