Advice on fin rot?

oceandeep85

Market
Reaction score
Have one blue damsel that appears to have fin rot. Other than two hermits and a snail, it's the only piece of livestock in the tank. Not sure what to do. Not sure how it happened. Any sagely advice?

This is probably from the in proper cycle and he is burning from water contamination.

Rehome him and do things right and patient

He's got undetectable ammonia now.

PFCDeitz;974838 wrote: This is probably from the in proper cycle and he is burning from water contamination.

Rehome him and do things right and patient

Just listen to you! Do what's right.. Rehome your damsel. Gotta be kidding me

Ocean I'm not trying to be rude either but man you need to slooow down

Take some good advice from the long time reefers.

I'll even make a deal with you. Rehome your critters and cycle properly and I will gladly buy your first pair of clowns once your tank is ready.

Pictures would be helpful.

I don't think the mention that the fish went through a rather lengthy ammonia cycle is harsh. It is relevant to the potential cause of the ailment. It's not a slam, or an attack. It's just a fact, nothing more, nothing less. Someone reading this thread, who had not read the other, may not be aware of this as a potential cause of the problem.

What are your current parameters?

If it's a bacterial infection, which is likely (pictures might help confirm that, but it's unlikely to be mechanical injury without any other fish present to have inflicted damage), quarantine in a cycled hospital tank and treatment with antibiotics would be the best course of action.

Since that is probably unlikely, then spiking the food with Seachem Kanaplex and Focus would be the next best option, in my opinion. Kanaplex is a better choice than Metronidazole in this application.

I'd also dose with Prime. Prime helps stimulate the slime coat of fish, which may help protect against re-infection.

Fishes' tissues should be able to regenerate within a week or so if the infection is stopped.

Jenn

PFCDeitz;974843 wrote: Ocean I'm not trying to be rude either but man you need to slooow down

Take some good advice from the long time reefers.

I'll even make a deal with you. Rehome your critters and cycle properly and I will gladly buy your first pair of clowns once your tank is ready.

Slow down?

I added a damsel. Waited a few weeks, cycled fully, added another damsel and live rock. Had a horrible ammonia situation as new live rock had a lot of die off, yellow damsel died. Got two free corals from Bobz back when water params were good and I was about to focus on lighting.. then the ammonia situation ruined that.

Now I've got the ammonia situation well under control, 0 detectable ammonia, trace amounts of nitrite and Nitrate around 40ppm (before a 10% water change) recently.

I added two small hermits and a turbo snail not long ago. All of which seem very happy. I'm feeding 4 times a week in very small amounts.

I appreciate the advice and information... but it's like telling a batter who's been hit by a pitch to dodge the ball.. AFTER getting hit. All I asked about was some advice on what I think might be finrot.. not "hey, so, is it cool if I add 2 clowns, a sea-star, some coral, a goby, some chromis, an angel or two, some anemones and one of those fun little plastic divers with the treasure chest?" haha... at least give me a little credit.. sheesh.

I don't want to re-home the guy because the backlash against damsels in this club is insane, so I'm sure no one would want him anyway.. plus, I love him. Yes. I purposely chose him. He's beautiful and I love the behavior. I'm a fan. I also have a 10 gallon nano. No sump. No cycled hospital situation, so I can't exactly go home, net him out and do that. So I'll do another water change, wait a little longer and if his condition deteriorates, I'll come up with a way to get some meds in him. He's still swimming around happily and it's only the pectoral fins that seem threaded as if he's recently been in a fight.. but there's nothing in there for him to fight with.. except for rock. Or hermits. or god forbid.. the snail.

Then the treated foods JennM suggests, improved water quality and time are your damsel's best bets. Plus the low-level dosing of Prime - think maybe 1/4 what was being used to treat the ammonia spike? (JennM, I'm soliciting your opinion on this, you've rehab'd more fish than I'll ever own).

From my experience if it's eating and swimming normally then the fat lady's not singing for it by a long shot. ;)

One important note - do not administer a tank-wide dose of an antibiotic product! There's a good chance it'll nuke your biological filter and set you back to square one.

yeah... I mean, I'm much more comfortable with that approach anyhow. I may even soak some food in the garlic soak when I get home too. I've heard that can be helpful in building their immune systems and is a powerful natural anti-biotic. I'm also going to do a 20% water change.

But yes, still eating like a pig and swimming around through rock work and all over the tank.. still changing colors readily and out in the open.

Garlic is not an antibiotic. It's an appetite stimulant and possibly an immune booster - but there's lots of controversy about that too. I routinely used garlic, but it's not a substitute for medicine.

Changing colours? Usually damsels change colours (ie they darken) when they are stressed. If they are relaxed, they should be their normal, vibrant colour. If yours is 'changing' colours then something is happening to cause it stress. I would not ignore that.

Jenn

Jenn-

I meant changing colors given the part of the tank they are in... I.E.- if he's swimming through the rockwork or just waking up in the morning, he's not staying hidden and not staying black. As he's done since I brought him home and as I've observed in other setups, he changes given his environment.

Garlic IS an antibiotic with proven antibacterial properties both supported by medicine of antiquity and modern medicine as well as holistic healers- for all living things. Granted, it's most CERTAINLY not a substitute for, or as strong as, an ACTUAL pharmaceutical anti-biotic, it is, in fact, an anti-biotic with essential vitamins, nutrients and immune boosting properties and can be used to treat a whole host of bacterial issues.

I'd like to keep from using medicines unless I have to.

JDavid has offered to mail me some KanaPlex that I'm going to use in a day or so if conditions don't improve.

I'm of the opinion that garlic's "immune system boosting" property claims are more due to the fact that a well-fed fish has more energy to fight an infection than a malnourished one.

But then again, all my fish turn up their nose at New Life Spectrum's "finicky fish formula" that supposedly has extra garlic to stimulate appetite... so what do I know? :roll:

PS
Dave - just be sure to follow the directions on the packaging... one single day's usually not enough to effect a cure of almost any bacterial ailment I can imagine.

I will. Josh has been walking me through it but says there's all kinds of instructions on the packaging.

Maybe you can try this:
3044b8542b556922.jpg
alt="" />
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21424">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21424</a>

I have never tried it but it may be just what you need.

As you wish.

You asked for advice. You received it. You're under no obligation to take it.

Jenn

Jenn, I guess you got schooled huh? What's it been? Something like 15-20 years you been saving fish and it takes a newbe to teach you that you know nothing about the magical power of garlic? Just saying.

JennM;974969 wrote: Garlic is not an antibiotic.

When crushed, Allium sativum yields allicin, an antibiotic[112] and antifungal compound (phytoncide) discovered by Chester J. Cavallito and colleagues in 1944. Fresh or crushed garlic also affords the sulfur-containing compounds alliin, ajoene, diallyl polysulfides, vinyldithiins, S-allylcysteine, and enzymes, B vitamins, proteins, minerals, saponins, flavonoids, and Maillard reaction products, which are not sulfur-containing compounds. Furthermore, a phytoalexin (allixin) was found, a nonsulfur compound with a &#947;-pyrone skeleton structure with antioxidant effects, antimicrobial effects,[113] antitumor promoting effects,[114] inhibition of aflatoxin B2 DNA binding,[114] and neurotrophic effects. Allixin showed an antitumor promoting effect in vivo, inhibiting skin tumor formation by TPA and DMBA initiated mice.[114] Analogs of this compound have exhibited antitumor promoting effects in in vitro experimental conditions. So allixin and/or its analogs may be useful compounds for cancer prevention.

All I'm saying is that garlic contains a natural antibiotic. It's a scientific fact. To say that it is not antibiotic is just plain wrong.

Although I do agree that it probably wouldn't work treating the fish, and that metronidazole or kanaplex are much better choices, the fact remains that garlic contains allicin, which most definitely IS an antibiotic. It might not be the right antibiotic or concentrated enough to actually do anything, but still, it's an antibiotic.

It's not a slam, or an attack. It's just a fact, nothing more, nothing less.

The rest is just what else garlic has, so the cancer preventing/tumor inhibiting compounds are irrelevant, Just saying.

Either way, when the mail comes day after tomorrow Dave will have exactly what he needs to treat his fish per Jenn's suggestion if conditions have not already improved.

Points taken, and there is medicinal value. However if you had a bacterial infection - say, an infected cut, which is somewhat in line with what this fish might have, would you take an antibiotic preparation, or eat some garlic toast and hope for the best?

Or... take the medicine prescribed and enjoy some garlic toast with your supper?

I did not suggest that there's no value in the garlic, in fact I mentioned that I advocate its regular use.

Anyway - advice was solicited, and given. Whether the advice is taken or left is not up to me.

Jenn

Back