another red slime question (w/picture)

stickx911

Market
Reaction score
I converted my backup sw 10g into a frag tank a few weeks ago. The two damsels and frags are doing great. The zoa growth in this really amazes me. But it's slowly developed this red slime everywhere the light can reach. Now I know a lot of people recently have had similar problems, but due to the logistics of this 10g tank I am sort of limited to just increasing water changes. I've been doing 5% changes every week, and I am about to do a 20% change does anyone have any other reasonable recommendations?

ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 25ish
Cal: testing now
KH: 300
nitrites: 0
PH: 8
Lights on: 8 hours (give or take)
Lighting 2 15w CFL 6500k
flow/filtration: hob filter rated for 40g, carbon is 2 weeks old

Picture coming up in 5 min!

Do you have anything else in the tank for flow? While flow alone won't solve the problem, if you have poor flow (ie - just the hob filter), then it won't help, either...

200001eb0.jpg
alt="" />
By
camerabuy.php

Yea, thats about it for flow. Just add a little powerhead? toward the glass, over the corals, or under the corals?

I'm working on the nitrates...each damsel gets one (maybe two) freeze dried shrimp twice a day...should I cut that back?

so flow and water changes?

Looks more like a diatome bloom than cyano to me. Diatome blooms are common in newly set up tanks and usually go away on its own.

cool, ok, so I found a powerhead in my closet...wierd but cool. But I only have 3 outlets by this tank (cannot expand any more as this is an expansion from a very expanded outlet set in my office). So my idea is to unplug the lights at night and plug in the powerhead at night. (penguin 1140 which may be a little too strong for this tank)

Would this flow be beneficial or too much=harmful? I am sure the fish wont be happy as their lights out time will be like a hurricane, but I only really need to do this until it clears and then a couple times a week...just a guess.

Why don't you unplug the heater and us that outlet for the pump? Having flow at night only is backwards...it's usually more calm at night.

good idea. the lighting should help maintain the temperature...I'll just monitor it the first day to be sure though.

Yeah those definately look like diatoms to me not red slime, it will go away on its own, your not using tap water are you?

diatoms; worse, better, or just a different thing?

link that helped me get some ideas.
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/algaecontrol/a/aa091100.htm">http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/algaecontrol/a/aa091100.htm</a>

I am unable to test phosphates at the moment, but I bet my carbon filter is adding to that problem...

[QUOTE=]The use of improper bulbs, lack of maintenance, and extended lighting hours are contributors that can lead to all sorts of algae problems.[/QUOTE]

Could my CFLs cause this, or are they thinking of something else?

OK. So my new plan.
Add a powerhead to increase flow, replace the cheap carbon filter with something designed for salt water use. Rinse the tray to remove the buildup from the system. keep up with water changes. any thing I should add to the list?

thanks a billion guys!

lol, I'm bad with that one. I'm going to try to do them one at a time because I really am in no rush. If it crashes, I wont be crushed, there's no real value in it, it's just something to tinker with.

If there's only fish in there right now, turn out the lights and let nature do it's thing... the fish don't need lights.

mojo;195192 wrote: If there's only fish in there right now, turn out the lights and let nature do it's thing... the fish don't need lights.

BINGO! This will have a huge impact on algae and won't bother the fish at all.

stickx911;195189 wrote: diatoms; worse, better, or just a different thing?
http://"></a>[/QUOTE]
Different. It will go away. I will be willing to bet you went through a small cycle. I have usually noticed it when a new setup is either at the end of its cycle or shortly after then it just disipates. I would also increase your waterchange volume from 5 % to around 20% I have found it easier to control my perameters with larger volume waterchanges on these small tanks and my corals love it.

Back