Any guesses on the Algae?

When was the last time you tore open that canister? That may be the root of your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About 10 days ago, I used to have a bag of phosban in there, so removed that and added a bit more media. There really wasn't much going on inside the canister.

It does look like plain brown algae. I also like Red Sea tests.
Have you cleaned your sump recently? Can you and do you vacuum your sand bed? I'd try a small, long tube vacuum and get it really good.
Most people use the vacuum wrong. Holding it on an angle with a low flow (smaller tube, less water flow) will get you 10X the crud...then try doing a few 20% water changes and start running bio pellets.
It's what I'd go for if in your shoes...
GL

I don't think your water will test that differently regardless of the test kit. The reason is, the algae is probably consuming the nutrients so they won't show up in a test. If you have algae growing then you have nutrients that are not getting exported quickly enough, no magic to that. Ditch the canister filter for sure unless you are going to clean/rinse it on a regular basis. Like Deb mentioned water changes and utilize some other nutrient removal, Bio pellets, GFO etc. Are you running a skimmer? If not I would most certainly consider running one.

LSU_fishFan;1074166 wrote: Yes, they use salifert and/or sera can't remember

I recommend Red Sea test kits, but like Hanna checkers for phosphorus.

They use both!

Thanks All, ok so the canister is full of bio SeaChem Matrix. I can always move that in the sump if I needed. Isn't that a kind of bio pellet?

I have the BubbleMag Curve 7 skimmer which is doing great. I have not vacuumed the sump, the first chamber has some detris on the bottom.

Yes I do vacuum the sand! - maybe not deep enough into the sand bed so I can try that.

thanks again.

Gfo is a media made to absorb phosphates. Bio pellets are a carbon source that is made to feed bacteria that, in theory, outcompetes the algae for the nutrients thereby starving said algae.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I have 2x Ecotech Radeon's 30W. They use the EcoTech LPS/Soft program, on at 9AM-slow ramp to 11AM then off at 8PM.

I did try cutting back on lighting but didn't see much change.

Algae needs both light and nutrients to grow. Have you considered just cutting off the lights except for an hour to feed the fish? You must find the nutrient problem. Over feeding or not adequate skimming are likely.

Actually I'm going back to this is Cyano - why?, I can't believe a normal algae can cover the entire sand bed in an hour. I rebuilt the reef, clean the sand, totally white - I timed it, 1 hour and the bed is covered. Can even Cyano grow that quickly?

Looks like Dino to me. I was fighting it a long time. Keep cleaning and try dosing microbacter 7. You need good bacteria to out compete the bad.

As long as it's not hurting anything you can keep trying it. I did not Have good luck with it. It will kill starfish and urchins from my experience.

Not a fan of dosing stuff personally....
I would just keep a clean tank and give it 3 or 4 months to fizzle

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Back