Anyone switch from Vortechs to the Jebao WP series?

WannabeeaReefKeeper;928246 wrote: P.S. Acroholic; Could you PM me the annual process cleaning you do on your MP40s? What solution ratio do you use? Do you keep spare in-tank assemblies readily available for easy swap?
Sent you a PM.

Edit:
barry_keith;928264 wrote: FWIW jebao has used the WP... name for a while now. I've have a fountain, that I've owned for at least 5 years, the pump is made by jebao, and shares the WP name

I do agree with you about the 40 and 10 part of the name though.

I just think they could have named it differently, and that would have cut off some of the obvious copy comparisons and the "Chinese knockoff" arguments you see all over the place. Jebao has the right to compete in the reef trade like any other company. I just think name differentiation prior to their introduction would have lessened some of the negative perceptions people have of the company. Like here is the new Jebao Brand of powerhead, instead of here is a Tunze knockoff with a name really close to a Vortech, like so many see.

Acroholic;928244 wrote: I am glad there are high flow pump options for people in different price ranges now, but sometimes I think we are comparing apples to oranges when we get into these Ecotech vs Jeboa or Tunze vs Jeboa, etc.

Now, if all you are comparing or care about is price, then my points may be moot here, but there are several key differences in the pumps.

Jeboa has all the electrics in the pump and it is in the water, power cord coming out of the water, and the resulting heat and possible electric shock issues. It is not hard to put a motor on a propeller and move water. Companies have been doing it for decades. Tunze, Marineland, Danner, etc.

Try doing that with a mass marketed pump/powerhead through glass of differing thicknesses, while eliminating all chance of electric shock from the product and all heat transfer to the tank water. Really an achievement. Also, at the same time, achieve flow rates in the thousands of gallons an hour with a much lower in-tank profile than either Tunze or Jeboa alike. Those pumps look like grapefruits in the tank compared to the EcoTech. In addition, throw in all the wireless programmability, and flexibility to coordinate with Radion fixtures and Reeflink (early this year) and all the other controllers EcoTech has in the pipeline, and you have pumps that will integrate into a total tank control system.

Have a different company develop a product that does it like Ecotech did and you have a true comparison, not just flow rates. I doubt anyone could make a pump that does all the EcoTech does at a cheap price point. I did not base my buying choice on cost alone, but because of the above features. I have MP40s that have been in continuous service for 5 years straight, only requiring a yearly soak. If there is a weak point in the EcoTech pumps, it is the power supplies, not the pumps themselves. People run Tunze pumps for 10+ years without issues as well.

Noise. Another apples to oranges comparison. The motor part of the Vortech is outside in open air, and it is a variable RPM pump, how are you not going to get some noise? The Tunze and Jebao pumps are totally in the water, so of course they will be quieter. IME Vortechs are not noisy at a stable RPM, but they make a whir when they are in their programing cycle changing RPM rates. That is just part of their nature. It goes with the design feature of no in-tank electrics and no heat transfer. Unavoidable because of the product design itself.

The only complaint regarding the Jebaos I have is their choice of name for the pump, about as close to MP40 as you can get without being totally plagiaristic. I don't think it does the Jebao company any good either. Like calling a Rolex a Folex, it only reinforces the cheapness of the price of the product, but not in a good way. I think they could have come up with a better name for the range instead of taking the easy way out like they did.

I really consider the Jebao line closer to the Tunze line of pumps versus the Vortech line, regarding technology and design similarities and comparable features.

Finally someone said it!

With all the jabao ya boy or whatever the hell they are I'm surprised your the first.... Honestly I was looking for a few people to dump their Vortechs before I started my write up. That happened at which point my only response now is I got lazy. Glad I didn't start, there's no way I could have said it better Dave!

I use old on their last leg sicce pumps for mixing salt. Due to the attractive price and output I'll consider replacing them with Jabao. But that is about the extent that their use is to me.

Was over at another reefers house recently and he had a MP40 laying on the floor in his basement amongst some other equipment. I asked him if it was damaged, it wasn't. He said he prefers to use the jebao powerheads because of noise. If his reason was cost, I would assume that he would sell the vortech!

I did make a point about how the vortechs make a huge aesthetic difference with the cord when it comes to rimless tanks, but that's about all I could come up with to defend the poor neglected vortech.

JDavid;938142 wrote: Was over at another reefers house recently and he had a MP40 laying on the floor in his basement amongst some other equipment. I asked him if it was damaged, it wasn't. He said he prefers to use the jebao powerheads because of noise. If his reason was cost, I would assume that he would sell the vortech!

I did make a point about how the vortechs make a huge aesthetic difference with the cord when it comes to rimless tanks, but that's about all I could come up with to defend the poor neglected vortech.

To each their own and honestly makes no difference to me but for me and what they do there is no question to what I'd use.

For those that were in the hobby before their introduction probably remembers the nuked tanks due to powerheads blowing and stray voltage issues that are virtually gone. No telling how many tanks they've saved unknowingly and unappreciatively.

But then again if it was noise that bothered him I understand fully.

Back