Apex owners tip corner

myreefclub0070

Market
Reaction score
* here is were we will be listing tips and tricks for all apex owners.
* with endless posibilities, we would all like to maximize the use and safty of our beloved neptune system.

* tip of the day :
Your apex system contains the ability with proper programming to send you via text or and email notice if anything goes outside the limits you set which includes lost of communication due to power loss.

Stay tuned, more to come.

As a new Apex owner.....I'm anxiously awaiting posts. I'm up and running on mine but very minimally so I'm looking for tips to start tweaking thing such as my Tunze pumps, the ATO, the skimmer shut off float, etc. I'll be looking at profiles and programming for my AI Hydras soon. Right now they are still on the AI wireless controller and will be the last item moved in to Apex control.

Marlon....thanks for starting this.

Not critical but sure nice. Put a mag switch on your sump door and connect thru a breakout box. Each time you open the door the sump light comes on. Close the door it shuts off. I love it on mine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BLACK REEF;1067777 wrote: Anybody using the new 4.40 software? Any issue when upgrading

I've been using version 4.40_8F15 for while and I've had no issues with it.

I'll have to say my favorite option I've installed is a momentary switch programmed to shut down all my equipment while I do a water change and it automatically comes back on after 4 minutes. I have a horrible problem with remembering to turn things back on. Lol.

Doing a delay on a skimmer can be tricky. If you apply the delay to the feed mode - the skimmer will come on immediately if you cancel the feed mode manually.

Instead - put a delay on the skimmer outlet - that way any time the outlet is triggered to come on it will wait the number of minutes in your delay statement.

Might be common knowledge but something for newer users to take note of.

I have two 500w heaters on my system. I run one on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Run the other on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Here's programming for each heater:

Fallback OFF
If Temp < 77.3 Then ON
If Temp > 77.3 Then OFF
Min Time 003:00 Then OFF
If DoW -M-W-F- Then OFF

Fallback OFF
If Temp < 77.3 Then ON
If Temp > 77.3 Then OFF
If DoW S-T-T-S Then OFF

Momentary Switch

Set OFF
If Sw2 CLOSED Then ON
Defer 004:00 Then OFF

Then add the Sw2 statement "If Outlet WC_Mom_SW = ON Then OFF" to each individual piece of equipment you want shut off momentarily (4 mins) while doing a water change.

elFloyd;1067875 wrote: I have two 500w heaters on my system. I run one on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Run the other on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Fallback OFF
If Temp < 77.3 Then ON
If Temp > 77.3 Then OFF
If DoW -M-W-F- Then OFF

Fallback OFF
If Temp < 77.3 Then ON
If Temp > 77.3 Then OFF
If DoW S-T-T-S Then OFF

That's a good one! I like it!

elFloyd;1067875 wrote: I have two 500w heaters on my system. I run one on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Run the other on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Fallback OFF
If Temp < 77.3 Then ON
If Temp > 77.3 Then OFF
If DoW -M-W-F- Then OFF

Fallback OFF
If Temp < 77.3 Then ON
If Temp > 77.3 Then OFF
If DoW S-T-T-S Then OFF

That's a good one! I like it! You could also program your seasonal chart to reflect whatever temp you want to mimic in the world seasonally.

I've done that too. I get bored and change it back and forth every few months.

</em>

Dimmable LEDs (RapidLED Onyx)... Example below is for the white lights and includes the three profiles. Repeat the same for blue lights, and mixed (red/green/UV):

Set OFF
If Time 08:00 to 11:00 Then WhiteUp
If Time 11:00 to 16:00 Then WhiteOn
If Time 16:00 to 19:00 Then WhiteDown

Profile: WhiteUp
Type: Ramp
Ramp Time: 180
Start Intensity: 10
End Intensity: 50

Profile: WhiteOn
Ramp Time: 1
Start Intensity: 50

Profile: WhiteUp
Ramp Time: 180
Start Intensity: 50

I would like to see some programming for dimmable fixtures.

AutoFeeder:
First Feeding: 09:00
Repeat Interval: 420
Drum Rotation: 1
Feedings per Day: 2
Feed Timer: A

rdnelson99;1067882 wrote: I would like to see some programming for dimmable fixtures.

Rich... see the post above yours... This is using the controller Var ports, and its for my RapidLED dimmable fixtures.

Thanks Larry. That's wat I was looking for. :)

Hi / Low temperature email:

base_alarm
Set OFF
If Temp &gt; 82.0 Then ON
If Temp &lt; 75.0 Then ON

Following

Reading about all these cool things to do just put the apex to the top of my equipment wish list :)

Leak Detection

I use moisture switches placed on the floor of the stand. These are in parallel and connected to the breakout box. If any of them detect water an email is sent and a very loud alarm goes off. The Apex has its own audible alarm, but I've connected an external alarm (115 db) to wake me if there is a problem. I'll do the same in the garage.

Redoing the programming so can't show it to you now. I started using these before Neptune came out with their lead detection system.

Back