Apex owners tip corner

rdnelson99;1067783 wrote: Not critical but sure nice. Put a mag switch on your sump door and connect thru a breakout box. Each time you open the door the sump light comes on. Close the door it shuts off. I love it on mine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

+1 Just picked up mag switches to do the same. I have five doors, so the cabinet lights will come on anytime a door is opened.

If you are really paranoid, you can also have an email sent when the doors are open. That way if you are out of town and the grand-kids are playing in the office by the tank and doing something they shouldn't be doing you can start remotely flashing lights and turn on an exterior alarm to get them running out of the office.... I'm just saying.

elFloyd;1067894 wrote: I guess you can tell I love my Apex.

Don't we all :)

FYI

As Larry gives his examples above he says "email sent" but actually you can program it to send a TEXT and email both. Just adding this because personally I dont "monitor" my email. However, more often than not I do check my text messages...

I assume everyone knows this... but... detailed Apex information is found at:

https://www.neptunesystems.com/support/docs/">https://www.neptunesystems.com/support/docs/</a>

Especially valuable is the "Comprehensive Reference Manual"

I have 2 Jebao RW-8s in my 60 gallon cube. Plugged into V1/V2 with a DIY board I made. The board is simply an RJ45 keystone jack on a small circuit board, also soldered to the board are 2 power ports for the Jebao power supplies. Resisters soldered into the Jebao cables to cut the voltage from the Apex in half since the RW-8s run 0 - 5v. I can give more details if people are interested.

Programming is below.

LEFTPUMP
Set Calm
If Time 08:00 to 10:00 Then WaveLeft
If Time 12:00 to 14:00 Then ON
If Time 16:00 to 20:00 Then WaveLeft
If Time 22:00 to 06:00 Then Night
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If FeedB 000 Then OFF
If FeedC 000 Then OFF
If FeedD 000 Then OFF

RIGHTPUMP
Set Calm
If Time 08:00 to 10:00 Then WaveRight
If Time 12:00 to 14:00 Then OFF
If Time 16:00 to 20:00 Then WaveRight
If Time 22:00 to 06:00 Then Night
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If FeedB 000 Then OFF
If FeedC 000 Then OFF
If FeedD 000 Then OFF

Then I have profiles as named above setup with the length and intensity.

Calm & Night both run at 40% right now
WaveRight and WaveLeft both run for at 60% for 10 seconds, off for 10 seconds etc

elFloyd;1067953 wrote: I assume everyone knows this... but... detailed Apex information is found at:

https://www.neptunesystems.com/support/docs/">https://www.neptunesystems.com/support/docs/</a>

Especially valuable is the "Comprehensive Reference Manual"[/QUOTE]

+ the Community forum under Apex support is excellent for quick response and expert knowledge. There are several support members that no Apex inside and out including every content of its guts. I have yet to be let down by the community forum.
When I've asked a question whether stupid or complex, I've had an answer within three or four hours tops!!
If you're having problem with code or a program you wrote you can post it for review. If you don't know how to write the code and ask you'll get the answer.
A+++ to using the Apex community forum for Apex related issues!

Pretty basic float switch setup. I have an inverted float switch in my 20g ATO brute to warn me when the water is low. Also alerts me if the temp is high.
Set OFF
If Temp &gt; 81.0 Then ON
If Temp &lt; 79.0 Then ON
If Top_Of CLOSED Then ON
If Top_Of OPEN Then OFF

This one is pretty basic, but if you have the apex lunar module... "If Moon 000/000 Then ON"

Your moonlights will match the phase of the moon outside.

Also - my dosing pumps:

Calcium:
Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/001:00/059:00 Then ON
If Time 09:00 to 23:00 Then OFF
If pH &gt; 8.35 Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If FeedB 000 Then OFF

Alkalinity
Fallback OFF
OSC 030:00/001:00/029:00 Then ON
If pH &gt; 8.35 Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If FeedB 000 Then OFF

For translation on the dosing pumps:

OSC 000:00/001:00/059:00 means TimeOn/Duration/DurationOff

So in this example, the pump turns on at the top of the hour/ run for one minute / then stays off for 59 minutes.

You might be looking at ALK and thinking "but crew, Alk comes on twice as often as calcium."

Programming this way results in everything resetting at the top of the hour. My alk program runs opposite my cal program: Wait 30 minutes / run for one minute / turn off for 29 minutes (which takes you back to the top of the hour and resets the program).

Line 2 shows that these two pumps only run from 11pm to 9am.

Line 3 is a pH safety net should either doser get stuck on

Line 4 and 5 are for if I decide to screw around with the tank during that 11 - 9 time frame.

Feed A = my feeding cut off
Feed B = my water change cut off

Here is a tip on the dosing. If you have 2 pH probes you can run 1 upstream of your doser and 1 probe downstream. That way you can monitor the small Alk spikes while dosing (put in a failsafe for overdosing) or lack of spikes if the doser fails.

I have a 65 gallon with 2 radions and an mp 40 all run off the WXM. I was wondering how everyone else ran theirs i.e. The graphs and modes. Tried to add pic of mine but can't upload photos for some reason

Crew;1068050 wrote: Also - my dosing pumps:

Calcium:
Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/001:00/059:00 Then ON
If pH &gt; 8.35 Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If FeedB 000 Then OFF

Alkalinity
Fallback OFF
OSC 030:00/001:00/029:00 Then ON
If pH &gt; 8.35 Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If FeedB 000 Then OFF

I'm kind of a newbie to dosing... what dosing pumps do you like to use with your Apex? Currently, I just manually dose Seachem Reef Builder and Calcium, and use kalk in the ATO.

I use the BRS dosers. They are incredible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Crew;1068121 wrote: I use the BRS dosers. They are incredible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

+1 I had the BRS dosers and I switched to the Jaebo wanting the extra 2 heads. I wished I had never switched to the Jaebo doser. The BRS is far easier to control via the Apex.

Are the BRS dosers low wattage, thus needing to be placed on outlets 4 and 8 on the Apex (the mechical relay outlets)? I've already got my ATO and media reactor pump on those outlets.

dasianguy;1068176 wrote: Are the BRS dosers low wattage, thus needing to be placed on outlets 4 and 8 on the Apex (the mechical relay outlets)? I've already got my ATO and media reactor pump on those outlets.

yes, for safety these would need to be plug in to 4/8.
if you have multiple items plugged in to the eb8 that have the exact same programming you can plug them into a splitter to make space, if not you may need an eb4 or eb8.

Back