Apex owners tip corner

Bcavalli;1068128 wrote: +1 I had the BRS dosers and I switched to the Jaebo wanting the extra 2 heads. I wished I had never switched to the Jaebo doser. The BRS is far easier to control via the Apex.

Not trying to hijack, Brett have you noticed that jebao doser isn't as accurate as the BRS? I just feel my jebao has issues with consistency when pumping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bkostuch;1068271 wrote: Not trying to hijack, Brett have you noticed that jebao doser isn't as accurate as the BRS? I just feel my jebao has issues with consistency when pumping.

I've calibrated my Jaebo several times and it SEEMS to be spot on. But, can I prove it? I did figure out that instead of dosing eight times a night I reduced it to three doses and it seemed to help with the accuracy. Which really makes sense, sometimes I'm a little slow. Lol

Apex equipment IS susceptible to lightning strikes and power surges. A GCFI will NOT protect you from this. Run your EB8/4s, DC8/4s, modules and Controller through surge protectors and plug the surge protector into the GCFI.

Took me a while to learn. In the past two years I replaced one controller due to nearby lighting... Had the replacement and a display fixed. (the same power hit took out my TV and DRV).

elFloyd;1068295 wrote: Apex equipment IS susceptible to lightning strikes and power surges. A GCFI will NOT protect your from this. Run your EB8/4s, DC8/4s, modules and Controller through surge protectors and plug the surge protector into the GCFI.

Took me a while to learn. In the past two years I replaced one controller due to nearby lighting... Had the replacement and a display fixed. (the same power hit took out my TV and DRV).

If you plug the apex into a gfci, wouldn't it shut down if the gfci is tripped?

Bcavalli;1068289 wrote: I've calibrated my Jaebo several times and it SEEMS to be spot on. But, can I prove it? I did figure out that instead of dosing eight times a night I reduced it to three doses and it seemed to help with the accuracy. Which really makes sense, sometimes I'm a little slow. Lol

Thanks, I'll switch up to 3 doses as opposed to 8 or 10 that I have now and see if it does better

Yes... If the GCFI shuts down so will any equipment plugged into it. Not an electrician so someone more qualified can join in and set the facts straight. But, the GCFI looks for an imbalance between the circuits connected/plugged into it. It does not prevent bursts of electricity from passing from the grid to your equipment. It may trip after the fact, but by then the damage is done.

elFloyd;1068303 wrote: Yes... If the GCFI shuts down so will any equipment plugged into it. Not an electrician so someone more qualified can join in and set the facts straight. But, the GCFI looks for an imbalance between the circuits connected/plugged into it. It does not prevent bursts of electricity from passing from the grid to your equipment. It may trip after the fact, but by then the damage is done.

I understand how it works, but don't understand why you would want your apex on a gfci

I have submerged pumps and lights hanging over water that are plugged into EB8s. Malfunction of a pump, or dropping a light into the water could cause an electrocution event. The GCFI will detect such an issue and trip... cutting off power to the EB8 and the piece of equipment... hopefully saving a life.

The Apex controller gets it power from the EB8. I could have a separate power source for the controller (wall wart) not connected to a GCFI. But the controller is just as susceptible to being dropped or a water leak as the lights are.

Why would you NOT want your Apex connected to a GCFI?

Ok, i see how having the pumps on your apex and running through a gfci is good. I was just thinking about how if the main controller is cut off with the gfci, you lose complete communication, and the apex isn't even able to update you of the outage.

LSU_fishFan;1068308 wrote: Ok, i see how having the pumps on your apex and running through a gfci is good. I was just thinking about how if the main controller is cut off with the gfci, you lose complete communication, and the apex isn't even able to update you of the outage.

Luke I would plug your apex into a UPS battery backup and your network modem on another one. That way when you have a power loss you can still access your apex and it will notify you when the power goes out.

Bcavalli;1068320 wrote: Luke I would plug your apex into a UPS battery backup and your network modem on another one. That way when you have a power loss you can still access your apex and it will notify you when the power goes out.

+1... That too!

Ok thanks guys, just trying to figure out what all needs to be done for the addition of an apex

The UPS is a great idea but, if the GFI is in line before the UPS, you no longer have GFI protection. Should the GFI trip the UPS will continue to provide power and the risk of electrocution remains. If the UPS is in line before the GFI you get the full protectionn

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Are we going to let Rich have the last say here?!
anyone have anymore tips or tricks to add?
well I have a 5watt bulb with a flasher circuit and a little buzzer that is plugged into an outlet on the eb8 attached to the breakout box and a contact switch on my hood so if anyone opens it with out turning it off first it goes into alarm mode.
............just to keep the hands out...........

Rich always gets the last say. Hehehehehe

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back