Apex set up wireless via Airport Express problems

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
I've been using a 30' cord for my Apex & all is good but the 30' cord.

I got an Apple Airport Express (2nd Generation, new, N) and I want to run in on my existing Lynksys Router. I downloaded Airport Utility and nothing can find the Express. I've tried wireless from Utility on my ipad, connecting directly to my Router via eathernet, USB from hard drive, Apex, turning everything off and rebooting in proper order, resetting the Express.... Any thing I'm leaving out, not doing or doing wrong? It's starting to get on my nerves!

Thanks

you should be able to see it with the airport utility. If not, it could very well be a bad device.

You won't see it from your ipad though. The airport express acts as a bridge, not a router.

Hey Jeff,

I should be able to use it as an Extention to my existing router wirelessly. This is how I control my Apex (iPad) currently and it says it can do this.

Edit: Jeff,

It found it once and then I set up Network Preferences and opened up all communication and "poof" never to be found again!
I've even reset my Preferences with no avail.

Camellia;859636 wrote: Hey Jeff,

I should be able to use it as an Extention to my existing router wirelessly. This is how I control my Apex (iPad) currently and it says it can do this.

Right, but that's after it's setup in the Airport utility right?

It found it once and then I set up Network Preferences and opened up all communication and "poof" never to be found again!
I've even reset my Preferences with no avail.

Very weird. I don't even know what to tell you. I use both the extreme & express routers in several installs and never have any issue using the two together. Never had any luck with linksys or netgear routers in getting them to play well with other devices or getting them to last more than a year.

Yes, it should be set up to my router than as a bridge or dedicated Extention.

I understand, that's how I feel. I haven't got back to it either.
Thanks

Like Jeff my setup has always been Airport Extreme to Airport Express. However, something should be able to find the Express to configure it. I've found the app for the iPad to be very flaky. Do you have a mac? Have you downloaded the airport utility for a windows machine?

Or can you access the Express but can't configure it as the bridge?

RedStang;860472 wrote: Like Jeff my setup has always been Airport Extreme to Airport Express. However, something should be able to find the Express to configure it. I've found the app for the iPad to be very flaky. Do you have a mac? Have you downloaded the airport utility for a windows machine?

Or can you access the Express but can't configure it as the bridge?

I don't have a Mac. Only iPad and windows desk top, laptop, etc.

Airport Utilities found it about the 4th time trying on my iPad and wanted a password which it wouldn't allow me to enter....at the same time my desktop found it and wanted the Firewall disabled and a name and path on my existing network/Internet. So I obeyed my desk top and freed a path with NO restrictions and was going to password protect and enable firewall after set up. At this time I had the Ethernet cable from the Express connected to my existing router which is connected to my desk top. So after configuring express path on my desk top I googled "Airpot Express problems with password". I got the info I needed, etc.
unplugged, reset, etc. plugged back in and I can't find it on nothing now. Several posts I found said that with Comcast and an existing router it required unplugging the modem, plugging back in and doing a hard reset to the comcast modem. So I've done this and everything I could find everywhere with no success.
Honestly I gave up and disconnected the apex cause I got tired of looking at the 30' cord going across the room and was afraid someone would trip on it and pull the Apex off the shelf....
I guess when times available I will contact Apex. I posted this same question on the users forum with no helpful feedback.
If you have any ideas, I would appreciate the info. Even if its a guess,lol Ill try it.
Thanks

Do a reset of the Express. If you still can't find it then return it. You should have no trouble detecting the Express.

I have reset soft and hard. My only doubt that its the express is that it did find it once! But yes, It's worth a try on a new one.
Thanks

Back