Apex software update and Fusion

hnguyen

Market
Reaction score
I'm wanting to update my Apex to run fusion and was looking through the steps to do so. I've never done a software update on my apex personally and have always had an IT friend do it so I'm new to this. I'm on the neptune website and this is what I see.

1) Using the Apex web interface, back up your current configuration just in case something goes wrong:
Configuration Menu
Load / Save
Save Configuration

2) Download the Apex Flash zip file from here: http://www.neptunesystems.com/downloads/firmware/apex_4.33_BD14.zip">http://www.neptunesystems.com/downloads/firmware/apex_4.33_BD14.zip</a>, and double-click it to open it.

3) You MUST directly connect your Apex, using a network cable, to your home router. DO NOT use wireless. If connecting your Apex to your home router is not possible, see page 129 of the Apex Comprehensive Reference Manual for alternative options.

4) Disable WiFi on your PC. Commonly, on a laptop, there's a switch for this; alternately, WiFi can typically be disabled via a control panel in the menu bar.

Step 1 check, step 2 check, step 3..... I always have my apex hard wire with an ethernet cable to my game switch soooo (check????) Step 4 is where I got lost, it says to disable the wifi on my laptop, ok.... Do I need to hard wire my laptop to my game switch/router with an ethernet cable as well? I also have this red ethernet looking cable that came with my apex, can I use that and hook my apex directly to my laptop? I remember being told the red ethernet looking cable was used for firmware updates but not 100% sure on that. Any input and advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You need to use the Ethernet cable to connect your computer directly to your router. No wireless connections for updates.

Not sure about apex connected to game switch, I would connect it directly to the router with an Ethernet cable as well just to be safe.

ghbrewer;1011225 wrote: You need to use the Ethernet cable to connect your computer directly to your router. No wireless connections for updates.

I understand no wireless. So laptop - ethernet - router and then apex - ethernet - router?
I also mentioned my apex is hooked up to a game switch which of course is hooked up to my router. That should work the same right? I can also just hook up my laptop to game switch so they both are hooked up to the same thing.

There's no way for to me hook my apex directly to my router. Apex and fish fish room is in basement. Router is upstairs in living room.

I am not familiar with how game switches operate, so not sure how it handles the signals. It might or might not work for all I know. Hooking computer and apex directly to router is how I have always done it, with no issues. Be sure to disable wireless on laptop, even plugged in it might try to use wireless.

Take your laptop down to the basement and connect directly. Wireless from laptop to Internet is fine.

rdnelson99;1011241 wrote: Take your laptop down to the basement and connect directly. Wireless from laptop to Internet is fine.

I'm not sure you can do a direct connect of the laptop to the Apex. But could be wrong, I've never tried a peer-to-peer connection.

The important thing is that complete path from your PC or Laptop to the Apex be wired. No wireless hops. So the most basic configuration is Laptop plugged into Router (wireless off on laptop to force the wired connection) and the Apex plugged into the Router. You can have hubs and switches along the way as long as every part of the path is wired. So you game switch should be fine if it is wired to the router. (there are also Game "Bridges" that are wired to the Apex but wireless back to the router - you don't want one of those in the path.

rdnelson99;1011241 wrote: Take your laptop down to the basement and connect directly. Wireless from laptop to Internet is fine.

FYI, I have had issues with doing the update with the computer running wirelessly. Not saying it cannot be done, but it caused issues on more than one occasion for me.

Not according to Neptune.

I would not use a game switch for firmware updates.

Power line adapters can still cause hiccup problems. Although I'd comfortably use one if I new the connection strength was strong.

Drydock;1011243 wrote: I'm not sure you can do a direct connect of the laptop to the Apex. But could be wrong, I've never tried a peer-to-peer connection.

The important thing is that complete path from your PC or Laptop to the Apex be wired. No wireless hops. So the most basic configuration is Laptop plugged into Router (wireless off on laptop to force the wired connection) and the Apex plugged into the Router. You can have hubs and switches along the way as long as every part of the path is wired. So you game switch should be fine if it is wired to the router. (there are also Game "Bridges" that are wired to the Apex but wireless back to the router - you don't want one of those in the path.

I think this is the answer I was looking for. When I built my house, I had them install over a dozen Ethernet outlets all over the house (4 in the living room alone). I have my router wired to my modem, and an ethernet plugged into my router. I took note of which ethernet outlet was plugged into my router and made sure to find the correct one in my basement. I took that end of the ethernet wire and plugged it into my game switch to feed it. From there I proceeded to plug in all of my ethernet wires to my game switch and now all my ethernet outlets around the house is live. My apex is also connected to my game switch. Even all that info, I would assume everything is hard wired together and nothing is on wifi minus my laptop correct?

Give me the model or picture of your game switch. Maybe the unit is not what were thinking it is.

Hnguyen;1011247 wrote: I think this is the answer I was looking for. When I built my house, I had them install over a dozen Ethernet outlets all over the house (4 in the living room alone). I have my router wired to my modem, and an ethernet plugged into my router. I took note of which ethernet outlet was plugged into my router and made sure to find the correct one in my basement. I took that end of the ethernet wire and plugged it into my game switch to feed it. From there I proceeded to plug in all of my ethernet wires to my game switch and now all my ethernet outlets around the house is live. My apex is also connected to my game switch. Even all that info, I would assume everything is hard wired together and nothing is on wifi minus my laptop correct?

Yes, you need physical copper connection between your computer and your apex. I think where you're throwing people off is the "game switch." Most people think wireless gaming adapter when we read that. As long as your apex has a physical connection to your laptop you'll be fine. If you're still unsure, I can run over this weekend and double check everything with you.

From what you described I'm confused why you'd be using a game switch as I know them.

You can disconnect the apex head unit and take it to the computer, update it then go hook it back up.

I found a youtube video that walked me through the whole thing including rebooting into safe mode, if I can do it, I know you can too.

Also, look on YouTube for firmware updates
Much more user friendly that written directions. I have a deposition @ 1:30. If you can wait until 6 or so I'll find the one I watched awhile back that spelled it out clearly.

This is the one I followed:

watch

I believe this is the switch I have. I'll double check when I get home but I'm also 100% sure. http://www.microcenter.com/product/385168/DGS-108_8-Port_Gigabit_Ethernet_Desktop_Switch">http://www.microcenter.com/product/385168/DGS-108_8-Port_Gigabit_Ethernet_Desktop_Switch</a>

D-Link DGS-108 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch

DawgFace;1011252 wrote: From what you described I'm confused why you'd be using a game switch as I know them.

I think I may be calling it the wrong thing. All this networking stuff isn't my thing.

if that's what it is, your good. That is just a basic "hardwire" switch.

Back