Apex supposed to ship tomorrow.

Mine will be here tomorrow. Now I will have to spend a week figuring it out. LOL. The problem for me is that I have AT&T uverse and do not need my old router anymore. I guess I will have to set it back up which may be a pain.

Joe

I received mine yesterday. I've got it hooked up (just on the floor) and sending out alerts, but I haven't quite figured out how to program the outlets. It's not as intuitive as I had hoped. I spent all of 10 mins looking at it, so I'm sure it's something I'm missing.

Definitely, definitely get the networking piece working and configure through the network. The menu system on the display is very slow.

My biggest complaint so far is that I ordered the variable voltage cables or whatever they're called for my Tunzes... they're just cat5 cables with stripped ends. Looks like you have to procure and wire up the DIN connector yourself.

Wow that doesn't make much sense. All the wiring for the aquasurf was fully assembled, if that is the norm I don't see too many folks having much of a clue how to wire and crimp the plug on correctly if they don't do it for a living.

If the display menu is anything like the AC3, its mostly for show except for basic functionality like feeding. Anything you need to push more than 3 buttons for don't bother and hit the web admin.

sailfish;375094 wrote: Mine will be here tomorrow. Now I will have to spend a week figuring it out. LOL. The problem for me is that I have AT&T uverse and do not need my old router anymore. I guess I will have to set it back up which may be a pain.

Joe
I was thinking about the network connection (it's a standard network cable with RJ-45 fitting, right?). I've got a desktop that sits close to where I'm putting my tank, so I'll probably just run the controller into a network card in the back of the desktop (or I might just move my wireless router into the office and use one of the ports on the router)

I'm trying to get my head wrapped around all of these issues BEFORE I begin setting this stuff up... (that's PART of the reason my build is taking so long)

molson;375194 wrote: Wow that doesn't make much sense. All the wiring for the aquasurf was fully assembled, if that is the norm I don't see too many folks having much of a clue how to wire and crimp the plug on correctly if they don't do it for a living.

I agree. My profilux cables were all pre-made. What ticks me off is that there's not even a pinout diagram or anything to know what goes where...

Rbredding;375217 wrote: I was thinking about the network connection (it's a standard network cable with RJ-45 fitting, right?). I've got a desktop that sits close to where I'm putting my tank, so I'll probably just run the controller into a network card in the back of the desktop (or I might just move my wireless router into the office and use one of the ports on the router)

Yup- just a cat5 ethernet cable. If you go direct to your desktop, you'll need a crossover cable. Otherwise, any standard cable would work to your router.

Only concern I would have with the crossover direct connect setup is that accessing the web interface remotely is a bit more challenging to setup than via a router where you can easily forward the ports. The PC would have to always be on and running a configured web service to allow access to it.

mojo;375219 wrote: Yup- just a cat5 ethernet cable. If you go direct to your desktop, you'll need a crossover cable. Otherwise, any standard cable would work to your router.
(not that it's related so feel free to PM me with an answer)
When exactly would you need a crossover cable vs a straight through cable? (which applications) I've found that sometimes one is required from modem to router, sometimes it isn't.. (wasn't sure if there is a SET time to use a crossover) I have purchased bulk cat5 cable and made my own patch cables for about 9 years now, and of course used it when I hard wired my parents house for internet (wireless was too expensive at the time)

molson;375234 wrote: Only concern I would have with the crossover direct connect setup is that accessing the web interface remotely is a bit more challenging to setup than via a router where you can easily forward the ports. The PC would have to always be on and running a configured web service to allow access to it.

Oh- I thought he just wanted to control the Apex from that computer- he didn't mention any kind of routing or hosting from that computer...

computers and router are always on... running with an APC backup... but I'll probably just run through the router to simplify the setup

Rbredding;375235 wrote: (not that it's related so feel free to PM me with an answer)
When exactly would you need a crossover cable vs a straight through cable? (which applications) I've found that sometimes one is required from modem to router, sometimes it isn't.. (wasn't sure if there is a SET time to use a crossover) I have purchased bulk cat5 cable and made my own patch cables for about 9 years now, and of course used it when I hard wired my parents house for internet (wireless was too expensive at the time)

The only time you should need a crossover is from computer to computer. Some older routers will require a crossover cable between themselves and a certain device (like an uplink router). 99% of the time you can just use a regular cable and do just fine- most routers these days figure out if you're using a crossover cable and will adapt accordingly.

To think about it a completely different way, in a cross-over cable you're literally sending the Transmit signal to the Receive pin on the opposite computer; a switch handles the send/receive internally.

mojo;375236 wrote: Oh- I thought he just wanted to control the Apex from that computer- he didn't mention any kind of routing or hosting from that computer...

Yeah, but it seems once its up and running everyone wants to play with it from their iPhone lol.

Got mine running for the most part. I have a few questions.

If I want a plug to run a pump no mattter what 24hrs a day what is the best way to do this. The pump wizard format looks to be more for powerheads?

The people at Neptune are supposed to be sending me a how to configure my browser because it will not allow me to access the configuration section from the internet. All other section work correctly but the config and XML sections. The graph section works some of the time. I can turn things on and off but can not configure anything. I have an apple and have tried both safari and fire fox anyone have any tips for me as Neptune is taking their time to get back to me.

My display also goes nuts sometimes if I push to many buttons at once. (like when I arrow down fast and get ahead of the menu) It keeps running down the menu indefinitely and I have to reboot it to make it stop it. Anyone else have this?

Thanks Joe

sailfish;377835 wrote: If I want a plug to run a pump no mattter what 24hrs a day what is the best way to do this. The pump wizard format looks to be more for powerheads?

Not 100% sure, but I'm guessing something like this in Advanced:

Fallback ON
If Time > 00:00 Then ON

The people at Neptune are supposed to be sending me a how to configure my browser because it will not allow me to access the configuration section from the internet. All other section work correctly but the config and XML sections. The graph section works some of the time. I can turn things on and off but can not configure anything. I have an apple and have tried both safari and fire fox anyone have any tips for me as Neptune is taking their time to get back to me.
If you're using Firefox, then go to "about:config". Then set the parameter: "network.http.max-connections</em>-per</em>-server</em>" to 2. That'll fix it, although at the expense of speed for every other site in the world. I don't know why they couldn't come up with a better solution.

My display also goes nuts sometimes if I push to many buttons at once. (like when I arrow down fast and get ahead of the menu) It keeps running down the menu indefinitely and I have to reboot it to make it stop it. Anyone else have this?
I used the display to set the ip address and haven't touched it since...

Back