Arcylic sump

gmpolan

Market
Reaction score
First off, id like to know where the best place and cheapest place to purchase acrylic sheets would be at?

I think with the help of some other handy men, im gonna try to build a sump when i want i purchase a larger tank.
Now obviously i dont have any specs or size as for as what i want to do but i have been spending a great deal of time reading melvsreef in regards to building one myself.

Second off, how hard is this going to be?
Anyone have any expierence in doing so...?

Thanks, geoff

Curbell plastics is where I get my acrylic. They are located in Dallas Ga.
You will find people on both sides of the fence on this one. I have built numerous acrylic tanks both display and sump quality up to 160 gallons. I am a stair/cabinet maker by trade so some of the skills and tools needed I had already acquired through those trades. Some who have failed at it consider it difficult and those who have succeeded consider it not too difficult. lol I would consider it fairly difficult if you have never tried it. I think once you price the acrylic, solvent etc, you will find that the custom sump manufacturers are very competitive in price. If you just enjoy trying new things and learning then I say go for it as I am a fan of DIY. Please be prepared for a learning curve (big or small)! I will be glad to advise you on things I have learned via pm.
If it is quality and money savings driving your wanting to build it yourself then by all means you should consider a builder like My Reef Creations. Like I said the price will be competitive with a diy project if not cheaper when a you buy a second sheet of acrylic lol.

grouper therapy;443647 wrote: Curbell plastics is where I get my acrylic. They are located in Dallas Ga.
You will find people on both sides of the fence on this one. I have built numerous acrylic tanks both display and sump quality up to 160 gallons. I am a stair/cabinet maker by trade so some of the skills and tools needed I had already acquired through those trades. Some who have failed at it consider it difficult and those who have succeeded consider it not too difficult. lol I would consider it fairly difficult if you have never tried it. I think once you price the acrylic, solvent etc, you will find that the custom sump manufacturers are very competitive in price. If you just enjoy trying new things and learning then I say go for it as I am a fan of DIY. Please be prepared for a learning curve (big or small)! I will be glad to advise you on things I have learned via pm.
If it is quality and money savings driving your wanting to build it yourself then by all means you should consider a builder like My Reef Creations. Like I said the price will be competitive with a diy project if not cheaper when a you buy a second sheet of acrylic lol.
Yep, almost $300 for a 3/8's 4x8 sheet and almost $200 on a 1/4 inch. It may just be cheaper to buy one already done.

Only members can edit and then only in a 15 minute window.. On my blackberry so I can't see member status right now..

I would suggest you watch the forums and look for someone getting rid of a cracked sump or someone with scrap pieces of acryllic laying around and practice with it. IME as long as you can get a smooth, straight edge on the acryllic then it's not too difficult. I've done several acryllic projects for myself and others and haven't had a problem but i also have access to decent tooling. Definitely get some practice pieces before you spend $$$ on a full sheet.

Great advice here,
A) it will be cheaper to buy and modify a complete sump
B) the tools required for a decent job are less than cheap

Here is a link for my 29 gallon DIY sump. Made it out of an AGA 29 gallon and Lowes acrylic.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30724">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30724</a>

Dave

If up are going submerged pumps, then using an aquarium and building your own is the way to go, IMO, but if you want to go with external pumps and things that require drilling holes in glass, etc, then I'd buy one or make my own out of all acrylic.

Creation Reef has a nice line of sumps in stock right now. They used to carry MRC, which are great products, but their new line is by SeaLife Systems, called the Berlin Series, and they are not too bad pricewise. I just bought and installed their 48" x 18" x 18" sump on my system. They come undrilled, I cut two holes for my two external pumps no problem.

Grouper therapy nailed it.

Acrylic work is an art that needs practice. It's very unforgiving & a small mistake can lead to big problems.

If you're 100% commited to diy, then take Dave's advice & modifty a prebuilt tank. I wouldn't risk your house & livestock to a first time diy sump.

Back