Are you ready for bad weather?

rdnelson99;934702 wrote: Drive in this morning from NW Forsyth Co. to Kennesaw was not bad at all. Little slick but with no traffic it was actually kind of enjoyable.

Good to hear you made it safely. It's been sleeting all morning here in Kenensaw/Acworth. Having a snocation today. So far so good.

Sean, my office is only a few blocks from your house. Roads here are great compared to where I live. :)

SaltyVixen;934704 wrote: Power just went out . Don't know what to do.

Sent from my Z993 using Tapatalk

Do nothing for now. If power doesn't return in a couple of hours, then you'll need to figure out a way to get the tank circulating. You could just use a large mixing spoon and swish water around in the tank for several minutes per hour. The other thing to be concerned about is tank temp. If you have no way to heat the water (gas stove, etc) then wrap the tank in blankets to keep it as warm as possible.

I guess it kind of passed over me. Shoot I don't even really have that much snow that I can see anywhere either.

k3nnyP;934692 wrote: Not insinuating what you're plans are but a friendly reminder from what I hear RODI water is not for drinking.

Really??? Have you ever looked on a bottle of drinking water to see where it came from. 90% come from RO/DI processing. 5% from RO process and the remainder are from natural sources.

Edit:
JennM;934698 wrote: Our power went out at 3:30 AM for no apparent reason.... back on about 5:30.

I'm not going anywhere today.

John - 7" of snow is for sissies. Remember where I come from. I shoveled 16" of the cr@p last year when I was home helping my Mom (and lived my first 33 winters up there).

Google, "Ice Storm 1998" See what you see. I was without power for a week in that one - no phone, no power, no WATER (we had a well).

Been there, done that, bought the woolen sweater.

Jenn

Whhhhaaaaaa!!! Look up the winter storm of '77-'78. I quit shoveling after the 2nd day and 6 feet of snow! We didn't go to school the entire month of January that year. I actually had snow drifts in my back yard that were in the 12 foot tall range. We built snow tunnels through them!:eek:

Its bad where im at.They are calling for 8-12" of snow.Got 3" already.

Jeff- if I've got a 93g display, how much water do I roughly need to hear on the gas stove? There are so many variables...

k3nnyP;934692 wrote: Not insinuating what you're plans are but a friendly reminder from what I hear RODI water is not for drinking.

My understanding is it tastes bad after the DI resin and has had electrolytes removed

Sn4k33y3z;934723 wrote: Jeff- if I've got a 93g display, how much water do I roughly need to hear on the gas stove? There are so many variables...

Jake....first I'd start only if the temp gets below 70 and there's no sign of power coming back on. If you've got gas heat in the house though, you should be ok. If you have to heat......it's going to be labor intensive.....heat as much as you can at a time...probably 2 gallons. Take it to boiling and pour it in a 5 gallon bucket. By the time you fill a bucket, it should be cool enough to dump in to the tank. Remember that salt water boils faster than not-salted water.

rdnelson99;934709 wrote: Sean, my office is only a few blocks from your house. Roads here are great compared to where I live. :)

Stop by if you get bored today

I_will_always_learn;934716 wrote: I guess it kind of passed over me. Shoot I don't even really have that much snow that I can see anywhere either.

Yeah, I'm surprised the Cobb/Cherokee area area isn't worse. Not much snow, just sleet.

porpoiseaquatics;934717 wrote: Really??? Have you ever looked on a bottle of drinking water to see where it came from. 90% come from RO/DI processing. 5% from RO process and the remainder are from natural sources.

Edit:

Whhhhaaaaaa!!! Look up the winter storm of '77-'78. I quit shoveling after the 2nd day and 6 feet of snow! We didn't go to school the entire month of January that year. I actually had snow drifts in my back yard that were in the 12 foot tall range. We built snow tunnels through them!:eek:

Remember that one well. In NE Montana they never canceled school and I can honestly say I walk to school everyday. Mom didn't have a car. Didn't matter if it was -40. You just walked faster to stay warm. :)

Yes I know most of you don't believe me but the facts are the facts. But I did have shoes and it was only uphill one way. :)

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

porpoiseaquatics;934717 wrote: Really???

I'm no expert, just going on what someone much more knowledgeable than myself posted on this forum a while back.

"You would be correct. Drinking deionized water is not recommended.

While small amounts may be tolerated, you risk what is known as hyponatremic shock (low electrolytes in your blood). Consumption is also known to increase morbidity (disease) and mortality (death) from all causes.

Reversing hyponatremic patients too rapidly can cause cerebral edema (inflammation of the brain). FWIW- I just had this discussion with two surgeons in the past week.

If consumed in large enough volume, especially after strenuous physical activity, intoxication and/or delirium may result (not the 'fun' kind either). Death is a possibility. In short, you can end up in an ER.
"

k3nnyP;934740 wrote:
If consumed in large enough volume, especially after strenuous physical activity, intoxication and/or delirium may result (not the 'fun' kind either). Death is a possibility. In short, you can end up in an ER.
"

The same can happen if you simply drink too much tap water. It's been in the news several times that, in an attempt to ward off dehydration, people consumed too much water and lowered their electrolyte levels.

Either way, hopefully not many have lost power. News reporting nearly 80k without power already and we've only just begun.

So I have an inverter (500w /1000w peak) and now I'm being told that I can't run some basic equipment off of an extension cord plugged into the inverter in my car because it will "burn up"

Are others not doing the same thing with no problems?

Btw I haven't lost power yet but it's flickering

rdnelson99;934733 wrote: Remember that one well. In NE Montana they never canceled school and I can honestly say I walk to school everyday. Mom didn't have a car. Didn't matter if it was -40. You just walked faster to stay warm. :)

Yes I know most of you don't believe me but the facts are the facts. But I did have shoes and it was only uphill one way. :)

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)
I've been to Montana and spent a total of eight weeks in the Summer and Winter. The Summer temps reach in the low hundreds but dry and the Winters OMG, I've never felt cold like I felt when I was in Great Falls, the wind will kill you. Montana has to be the coldest place on earth next to Siberia and I believe Siberia temperatures range in the -94 degrees.

If you walked to school in those temperatures, you either drank allot whiskey or did allot of drugs.

Reefkeeper;934763 wrote: I've been to Montana and spent a total of eight weeks in the Summer and Winter. The Summer temps reach in the low hundreds but dry and the Winters OMG, I've never felt cold like I felt when I was in Great Falls, the wind will kill you. Montana has to be the coldest place on earth next to Siberia and I believe Siberia temperatures range in the -94 degrees.

If you walked to school in those temperatures, you either drank allot whiskey or did allot of drugs.

LOL I am not telling. :D

If you watch the weather bands, there is one that comes out of Alaska and drops down the east side of the northern Rockies. At one point it dips into the US and then back up into Canada. My home town is dead center of that dip in the NE part of the state. In 76 we went two months where it never got above 40 below. And that was before wind chill. You learn to dress for it. Every day after school I would meet my mom at her place of work. We would buy enough groceries to fill two bags. One for her to carry and one for me to carry. With 8 kids, it had to be a daily occurrence. usually, before we got too far walking someone would stop and offer us a ride but many days we walked the whole way. Wouldn't want to do that again but at the time we thought nothing of it.

rdnelson99;934766 wrote: Wouldn't want to do that again but at the time we thought nothing of it.

I started out out-house poor. Then on to single mom that worked 3 jobs to keep the kids fed. People are shocked when I tell them but in reality as a kid it never once crossed my mind that I needed more. My kids on the other hand want everything and can't understand when they can't have it ( 2 and 5). Life struggles at an early age ( including poverty) builds character as long as you have parents that push through it to the best of their abilities.

Rich, don't let this go to your head. I'm not necessarily saying you have character. Just that people in similar circumstances could have built some.

JDavid;934761 wrote: So I have an inverter (500w /1000w peak) and now I'm being told that I can't run some basic equipment off of an extension cord plugged into the inverter in my car because it will "burn up"

Are others not doing the same thing with no problems?

Btw I haven't lost power yet but it's flickering

I am in Buford and our power went out. I used my DC converter and ran a heater and pump fine. Power is back on now.

Bryan

Back