Are you ready for bad weather?

I've got the generator (tested and ready), three vehicles full of fuel and a power inverter.

My theory is that it's better to have and not need than to need and not have.

My generator has been sitting with gas in it since 2007.Went out and yep. Carburetor leaking.So i took it off , and rebuilt it,was done at 2:00.It runs.:wow2:

Generator fired up and tested - Brian is making sure we have enough extension cords (<----- DO THAT!)

He also went out today and got a gadget at Harbor Freight that you charge up and it holds power, good for recharging phones and stuff.

Make sure you have a radio or something with fresh batteries so you can find out what is going on in the outside world (it stinks when you have no source of information beyond your neighbourhood).

I survived Ice Storm 98 back in Canada and was without power, phones or water for a week. We heated with wood so we were warm but it was pretty primitive otherwise.

Flashlights, lamps/lanterns, water (just in case - last round we were under a boil water advisory because of a broken water main that day).

And if you have to travel, make sure you have some supplies in your vehicle - blanket, food, water, good shoes to walk in, hat, gloves/mitts, scarf, warm coat. You might think it's overkill but ask anyone who was stuck in their car for 20 hours...

Stay safe out there, folks!

I really hope everything stays ok. My power company has been pretty good at keeping the power on, or restoring it quickly over the years.

I'm out of town for this one though. We've got the ecotech battery backup, and my wife just bought a small computer UPS to get maybe 90 minutes of filter time on our two freshwater tanks.

****, I hope the lights stay on.

Two generators are at the ready with 7 extra gallons of fuel. All vehicles are full of fuel. I've got 40 gallons of freshwater made for whatever it's needed for. All phones, tablets, laptops are fully charged and ready. I have a small power inverter ready as well. I've got 7-18V battery packs fully charged for lighting and my fireplace is natural gas as is the heat in the house. Luckily, one of my generators can run all of our heat fan motors which leaves my bigger one for anything else I need to run. Hot water and cooking are also natural gas. I have a propane cook stove, rechargeable camp light and sleeping bags if we need additional warmth.

I think I'm all set.

Jeff you have us all trumped in the prepped department!

We're home from our evening job - got extra fuel, everything's charged... bring it ON!

Jenn

JennM;934616 wrote: Jeff you have us all trumped in the prepped department!

We're home from our evening job - got extra fuel, everything's charged... bring it ON!

Jenn

You say that now... last prediction for for Canton I saw was 7" of snow and 1/4" of ice...

I can say I have heard the word "catastrophic" more times in the last two days on TV weather reports than I can count.

I'm not sure what to do. My tank is in my dorm room and the building I am in doesn't have a generator. So has anyone had any luck with the cup of water and pouring into the tank method? It's 14 gallons so aerate every hour or so?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Allen;934679 wrote: A good computer battery backup would be your^ best bet. Be sure to test the battery in it every month or so to ensure that it is still in good health. Your local WalMart should sell the APC battery backups. You don't have much time, though, as they do have to be plugged in for some time to charge.

My $0.02.

Thanks so much Allen, I guess I forgot to mention that I'm at home riding out the storm. I'm depending on my roommates to take care of the tank. I didn't think it would get this bad and assumed that the building had a generator. I guess that's what I get for assuming things. :(

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

porpoiseaquatics; wrote: I've got 40 gallons of freshwater made for whatever it's needed for.

Not insinuating what you're plans are but a friendly reminder from what I hear RODI water is not for drinking.

k3nnyP;934692 wrote: Not insinuating what you're plans are but a friendly reminder from what I hear RODI water is not for drinking.

Yeah but, in a pinch, it'll work.
Better than sipping the saltwater. ;)

I would not use RO/DI water for everyday drinking but, for a day or two, I would.

And it's not normally water outages that we are concerned about.
Recently the only time I was considering using RO/DI was when the water main two houses down broke. Even then, we still had water flowing until they shut it off for the repair.

i have a big buddy propane heater that is safe for indoors i have 3-20 gallon tanks that should be good for about 2-3 days i have used it before and it heats very good not too much smell.plenty of food and water.since my house is total electric i have a coleman stove to cook on or a outside grill.last but not least ice in coolers. aquarium should be ok colder water = more oxygen FOWLR

Our power went out at 3:30 AM for no apparent reason.... back on about 5:30.

I'm not going anywhere today.

John - 7" of snow is for sissies. Remember where I come from. I shoveled 16" of the cr@p last year when I was home helping my Mom (and lived my first 33 winters up there).

Google, "Ice Storm 1998" See what you see. I was without power for a week in that one - no phone, no power, no WATER (we had a well).

Been there, done that, bought the woolen sweater.

Jenn

Suggestion, stay in and sit around you tropical tank and warm up.
Nice 76 degrees in there.....lol.

Drive in this morning from NW Forsyth Co. to Kennesaw was not bad at all. Little slick but with no traffic it was actually kind of enjoyable.

Back