Asterina star eating zoas

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
I’ve noticed a few times an asterina star on my single head of CB space monster zoa. Each time I pull it off and the zoa looks like doo doo for a few days then perks up. I wouldn’t say I have a star problem either. I’m not sure if they need more food or what. I noticed the one I do pull off has some color to it so I assume it’s been munching on other zoas too. How I’ve you guys taken care of these?

I really was hoping not to go that route. I have a feeling they’d go through what I have super quick

the only other way I know of is manually pulling them whenever you see them.

They are quite hardy - I can't imagine there is a reef safe way to get rid of them any other way than the Harlequin or manual removal

I would go so far as to say that manual removal doesn’t work for Asterina. Even if you think that you got all of them... wait 4-6 months and you will see a few of them popping up again.

Harlequins or similar predatory species are a necessity.

I would go so far as to say that manual removal doesn’t work for Asterina. Even if you think that you got all of them... wait 4-6 months and you will see a few of them popping up again.

Harlequins or similar predatory species are a necessity.

I would agree - but I also don't think all of them are damaging corals - I have them but 90%+ of them don't roam around on corals.

Snagging them anytime you see one on a coral may eliminate the bad ones, leaving the harmless ones.

Or - I may be fully crazy.

I've always just removed them manually. When I see them, I pull them and I've never had anything more that the occasional issue over the years. If I were in you position, I's try removing them when you see them before going the shrimp route. I wish there were a hard and fast rule about these things but the idea of "bad ones" and "harmless ones" seems to be be pretty accurate in my experience.

Back