atlorange's new slow upgrade

Leak test is going good so far. No leaks, knock on wood. VECTRA L1 is very powerful. Have it on lowest setting. I am sure I will have to raise it for frag tank and a couple reactors.

Found out frag tank stand will be another 2 or 3 weeks, it was damaged during shipping so planet is rebuilding it. It will be harder to plumb it with display already in place and running, but I'm not waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Secondary drain started leaking. I tried to 'goop' some pvc glue on the outside of the fitting, but that looked bad. So I will redo that driain tonight. Then start leak test again tomorrow.

I think I have found a line on someone overnighting me some Fritz-Zyme Turbostart 900 bacteria. This stuff is supposed to be the bomb for quick cycling. I will dose with ammonium chloride, test, dose the 900, test again. Repeat. I will have marine pure and a very small amount of liverock from my current sump. I hope this will be enough as my fake aquascape will not provide much surface area for bacteria. May have to add some more rubble or marine pure if ammonia is not processed quickly.

Tank in place:

e63765371243a9f64d07e3243647663b.jpg
alt="" />

Saltwater and aquascape in:

7a81eb2d8de19b64180ce968717ce5a9.jpg
alt="" />

Not bad, but it would look good with Blue cloves over it
;-)

Talk about clean looking......I can't even see the overflow.

Sewer Urchin;1113309 wrote: Not bad, but it would look good with Blue cloves over it
;-)

Talk about clean looking......I can't even see the overflow.

Well. It's just a quick/bad iphone shot. I will try to get a better shot showing the overflow. But I really, really like that it only take 2"X5"X16" on the tank side. Very low profile.

Just ordered mine..... can't wait to get it

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

So I added Fritz Ammonium Chloride and Turbostart 900 on Sunday. Ammonia was 8ppm on Sunday, 4ppm Monday, and 1ppm yesterday. Turbostart 900 seems to work as advertised. It's still unbelievable to me that NO Atlanta LFS carries this. I had to drive to Athens to get it. It's incredibly popular on the national forums and with people that have tried it. Oh well, hopefully I won't need any more anytime soon.

atlorange;1113553 wrote: So I added Fritz Ammonium Chloride and Turbostart 900 on Sunday. Ammonia was 8ppm on Sunday, 4ppm Monday, and 1ppm yesterday. Turbostart 900 seems to work as advertised. It's still unbelievable to me that NO Atlanta LFS carries this. I had to drive to Athens to get it. It's incredibly popular on the national forums and with people that have tried it. Oh well, hopefully I won't need any more anytime soon.

Oddly enough, I find most fish stores don't support (support could be the wrong word) the idea of bacteria + ammonia when compared to selling live rock and doing it the natural way. I am forever going to be a dry rock, ammonia and bacteria guy.

Tank looks sweet, after a couple of years when its fully grown in the scape is going to be truly awesome. Are you going to be starting this one fresh with frags, or moving some colonies into it?

xilez;1113560 wrote: Oddly enough, I find most fish stores don't support (support could be the wrong word) the idea of bacteria + ammonia when compared to selling live rock and doing it the natural way. I am forever going to be a dry rock, ammonia and bacteria guy.

Tank looks sweet, after a couple of years when its fully grown in the scape is going to be truly awesome. Are you going to be starting this one fresh with frags, or moving some colonies into it?

I will transfer all fish and corals from my 68 gallon display, which is pretty full.

The Fritz line sat on my shelves for 2+ years and rarely did anyone touch the stuff. So we dropped the line.

I like the scape but was wondering what kind of bioload will it support. It seems like there's not alot of surface area.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

BrandonMason;1113803 wrote: I like the scape but was wondering what kind of bioload will it support. It seems like there's not alot of surface area.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Correct, not much at all. There is a 4" block of Marinepure in the sump.

Busy day. Got the light lowered to about 10" above water. Got the doser set up for Alk and Ca, just 10mls a day since no corals yet.

I set up the skimmer, got a email to Battle Corals on this. It seems to me that the DC pump is too powerful. Foam/water line is very turbulant in 10" of water at the lowest setting. Might be switching to the nonDC pump if this keeps up.

I added my new Icecap ATO after several test. So far it seems to a really solid product.

Should have my frag tank stand this week from Premier Aquatics. Jakub has been instrumental in working with Planet on a few issues with stands. Once I get that I will get my dry area figured out. I have a lot of equipment to try to stuff in a 24x24x40 stand.

Awesome work! Your really getting it done! Nice you can work out the kinks while other tank is running.

outdrsyguy1;1113825 wrote: Awesome work! Your really getting it done! Nice you can work out the kinks while other tank is running.

Thanks.
Yeah, it's good to have the old system still running. I can take things slowly that way. However, having these many tanks in my tiny office is so cramped. I am ready to shut the old system down, but scared of transferring all of my SPS. I plan to try out some test frags this week.

Not much to update as I have been struggling with my Deltec skimmer for over a month. I can't seem to get it to skim consistently. I've lost my patience and put it up for sale, for 50% of what I paid.

I received my Reef Octopus Elite 200sss yesterday. This thing looks like a beast (barely fits), and is built like a tank. Very thick heavy acrylic. Going to give it a vinegar bath and get it online this weekend.

Once I get the skimmer dialed in I will finally plumb in the frag tank and start moving more corals over. I have put a few tester frags in from the old system, they are doing okay, not great.

Back