awesome led tank

grouper therapy

Supporting
Reaction score
Awesome growth 300 gallon dd under Mars Aqua leds
This tank has made a believer out of me for Leds. This tank is under 6 Mars aqua leds. It started out under MM leds
Awesome growth and color!
This thing was actually just trimmed back. The sps were topping out at the waterline.

Two dct 12000 on closed loop and 4 rw 8?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1073683=66495-Gary's tank.jpg
>
1073683=66495-Gary's tank.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Gary's tank.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Beautiful tank David! The growth is incredible.

I've been resaerching lights for a while now and I was leaning towards Mars Aqua already and this confirms that for me. I'm planning on putting 3 over my 220 with 2 5' 60w LET t5's. I may add a couple 360we's down the road to get some shimmer and target light areas of the tank.

anit77;1073691 wrote: Beautiful tank David! The growth is incredible.

I've been resaerching lights for a while now and I was leaning towards Mars Aqua already and this confirms that for me. I'm planning on putting 3 over my 220 with 2 5' 60w LET t5's. I may add a couple 360we's down the road to get some shimmer and target light areas of the tank.

I think the color is pretty good as well.
If you want to talk to the owner of the tank let me know. He very seldom visits here anymore. I think he is selling the huge leather

If you don't mind sharing who's tank is it? I'd love to see the "behind the scenes" stuff ;)

grouper therapy;1073695 wrote: I think the color is pretty good as well.
If you want to talk to the owner of the tank let me know. He very seldom visits here anymore. I think he is selling the huge leather

I thought it was yours. I'd love to see it and talk to him sometime.

Not bad. I still like the color and growth of halides better.

But at least the LED's have gotten cheap enough to actually have a payback period in their lifetime.

How long was it lit with the MM's and these?

fun part is that those are mars aqua leds haha...

yes leds can grow sps if the caretaker is a good aquarist.

no leds can not grow sps if the caretaker sucks at growing corals.

b

EnderG60;1073740 wrote: Not bad. I still like the color and growth of halides better.

But at least the LED's have gotten cheap enough to actually have a payback period in their lifetime.

How long was it lit with the MM's and these?

I'm not sure how halides could grow them any further than the leds did. Top of the water is pretty much it.

Stags, setosa, digitata are the biggies in there. These are some of the "weeds" of the sps family. The tort has good color but clearly shows a lack of flow from its growth pattern. Weak flow in an acro tank gives an illusion of fast growth. It's sparse and stringy rather than thick and dense. The stags are obviously getting good flow in their portion of the tank but they grow under a flashlight. The fact that leather can sit there also tells the story of flow. That thing would be thrown out the tank like an Aaron Rogers Hail Mary were the flow geared for acros.

All that being said, it's a nice looking tank if that's what you're going for. I don't think there's much debate of how well LED's can perform with a less finicky array such as this. When I see a multitude of tanks like Reggie's with hard to grow acros thriving, I'll be a believer it's for the masses to adopt and have as good a chance of success as MH.

My next tank will most likely be an LED <u>dominant</u> lit Acro tank. I'm simply not willing to run a pure MH setup on a very large tank due to costs involved after having great success with a LED/MH combo. Who knows, it may be pure LED. But, I don't consider myself the average bear and can pull it off...

Seth The Wine Guy;1073868 wrote: Stags, setosa, digitata are the biggies in there. These are some of the "weeds" of the sps family. The tort has good color but clearly shows a lack of flow from its growth pattern. Weak flow in an acro tank gives an illusion of fast growth. It's sparse and stringy rather than thick and dense. The stags are obviously getting good flow in their portion of the tank but they grow under a flashlight. The fact that leather can sit there also tells the story of flow. That thing would be thrown out the tank like an Aaron Rogers Hail Mary were the flow geared for acros.

All that being said, it's a nice looking tank if that's what you're going for. I don't think there's much debate of how well LED's can perform with a less finicky array such as this. When I see a multitude of tanks like Reggie's with hard to grow acros thriving, I'll be a believer it's for the masses to adopt and have as good a chance of success as MH.

My next tank will most likely be an LED <u>dominant</u> lit Acro tank. I'm simply not willing to run a pure MH setup on a very large tank due to costs involved after having great success with a LED/MH combo. Who knows, it may be pure LED. But, I don't consider myself the average bear and can pull it off...

define "hard to grow".
i use this same setup except i use 6 black box evergrows. ill also say that not all leds are the same. like the ai sols or hydras i probably wouldnt get the par i needed. neither the orpheks. some of the kessils are good but rather weak penetration as they go for spread to avoid color striping.

just go off a par meter and dont add 20%, you should be good.

tbh. between my old phoenixs and this black box setup... i prefer the led for some corals, others not so much. (tenuis seem to do better under halides from my experience) , however it could just be a different setup.

there is a black box led proof group on facebook that has literally thousands of tanks growing sps (pics included). after seeing it, i picked mine up as a last ditch try for leds.

Seth The Wine Guy;1073868 wrote: Stags, setosa, digitata are the biggies in there. These are some of the "weeds" of the sps family. The tort has good color but clearly shows a lack of flow from its growth pattern. Weak flow in an acro tank gives an illusion of fast growth. It's sparse and stringy rather than thick and dense. The stags are obviously getting good flow in their portion of the tank but they grow under a flashlight. The fact that leather can sit there also tells the story of flow. That thing would be thrown out the tank like an Aaron Rogers Hail Mary were the flow geared for acros.

:shades:
Like I said that tank had been thinned down 25% or more. The tank has plenty of flow. Two 3600gph pumps on a closed loop with several large power heads. The leather can set there because it is the size of a basketball.
But thanks for the compliment and constructive criticism ,Ill make sure to pass it on to the owner. It will mean a lot to him.

Russ-IV;1073876 wrote: define "hard to grow".
i use this same setup except i use 6 black box evergrows. ill also say that not all leds are the same. like the ai sols or hydras i probably wouldnt get the par i needed. neither the orpheks. some of the kessils are good but rather weak penetration as they go for spread to avoid color striping.

just go off a par meter and dont add 20%, you should be good.

tbh. between my old phoenixs and this black box setup... i prefer the led for some corals, others not so much. (tenuis seem to do better under halides from my experience) , however it could just be a different setup.

there is a black box led proof group on facebook that has literally thousands of tanks growing sps (pics included). after seeing it, i picked mine up as a last ditch try for leds.
That is spot on. Some people define it as rare corals that cost a lot of money, others as slow growing corals, others as corals that are sensitive to various husbandry skills.
I think difficulty is in direct relation to the skill level of the individual. So what might be difficult to one may not to the other. For instance Seth confesses above that is not even an" average bear" so he may find many average expensive corals difficult.

Thanks for the feedback Seth! I was hoping you would chime in with your non average bear advice. But you are correct big, nice, natural looking tanks with mature colonies are not for everyone. Some people do prefer the more manicured unnatural look of all expensive corals in a 4 foot square area.

grouper therapy;1073882 wrote: Thanks for the feedback Seth! <span style="color: Red">I was hoping you would chime in</span> with your non average bear advice. But you are correct big, nice, natural looking tanks with mature colonies are not for everyone. Some people do prefer the more manicured unnatural look of all expensive corals in a 4 foot square area.

I know :D

To elaborate on growth patterns, here is an example of an Oregon Tort under high flow conditions. Note the obvious differences. I guess when you have a lot of real estate you need to fill you have to take a different approach. That, or just buy more coral and add adequate flow.

Also note how the milli on the right is tabling. Although, I didn't notice any milli's to compare it to in your photo. I paid $40 total for pinkie sized frags of each. Is that high dollar? Seemed fair to me...

Out of the two colonies, which looks more like a wild colony to you? IME wild colonies are much denser. But, that's just the ones I've seen. I'm sure there's a remote lagoon in Tonga somewhere that grows them long and stringy.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1073959=66527-Tort .jpg
>
1073959=66527-Tort .jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tort .jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

And that is a valid point. I think the colonies in the tank above are exactly what a tank that size needs. In a much smaller tank the smaller colonies look better, I hope so I have a 45 gallon now:D.

The millies I had in my 156 tabled like that as well. IME most have.

And Like I said those colonies had been thinned down quite a bit so they weren't really stringy.
But I disagree that the different growth patterns constitute an illusion of fast growth, just different.

Back