best HOB skimmer?

gwen_o_lyn wrote: mitch- u got me rollin' over here!! Too funny!!

He's right- ghetto top off units will get ya everytime!!!

I'm here for your entertainment. I take payment in the form of nice frags.

I expect prompt payment for services rendered.

Well seeing as how my tank is entering it's 2nd week of cycling, I would take a frag of fish poop right now.

Kinda boring staring at my rock and sand. But a couple feather dusters have emerged and they are neat to look at.

I'm like the fat kid at lunchtime............I'll take anything.

You can hold your payment for about 3 weeks or so, then it's time to collect.

lol... what kinda lights do u have so I can plan for the future??

Do you have asterina starfish in your tank? They are common hitchhikers.

Well, as of right now, I don't have any lights. I am planning on 2 x 250 Mh with VHO's. As for the starfish, there was one I noticed, but I don't know if it was alive or dead.

Tony, it was the same one that we saw at your place when loading up the LR. He is in the tank, but I don't know if he is alive or not.

Also, I kinda have like 3 mini mountains of sand and some sand in the middle, resulting from a Tunze 6000 and a couple ill-placed return lines.

I think he is buried in one of the mountains.

I just bought a couple big pieces of Base rock today, so this weekend, I will be rearranging my rockwork, re-positioning my pumps and return lines and smoothing over my sand.

Then if I am happy with the aquascaping, I will grace you all with pics of his holiness's creation.

Wow, Gwen, we totally took over this thread. I feel bad now.:sad:

I don't really know. Every time I look at SPS, I just am not impressed.

Maybe it will come with time and experience. But I like the LPS, softies, mushrooms, GSP, Xenia, clams, hammers, zoo's, etc.

Which, for once in this hobby, will actually save me some money. Amazing that I actually like something that is cheaper.

But, I am sure that won't last too long.

There's plenty of those starfish in there... they were all over the brute when I had it.

you guys did take over this thread.

and youre right... it probably wont last long. I didnt really like SPS either when I started. (if youre not that interested in SPS, why are you shopping for MHs?)

for his clams silly

I'm sure I can get some frags for ya... just let me get the infestation outta my tank first.

Listen to the smart woman Tony.

Yea, I want MH's, so I am not limited to what I can keep and also b/c I want clams.

If it wasn't for the clams, then I would probably go a different route right now and if I ever took to the SPS, then I would convert over.

But, I love those clams, so MH it is.

No hurry Gwen, like I said, it will be another 3 weeks at the least, before my tank is ready, hopefully.

Mav, have you considered using t-5s for your clams? They run cooler, less energy consumption, but no cool shimmer. As for the original thread question, I like my coralife super skimmer. I wouldn't really recommend running it HOB though, it has a tendency to flood so I keep it in the sump now.

Hoang,

Yea, I was contemplating using a T5 set-up, but I love the shimmer lines and right now, MH's have been around a whole heck of alot longer than T5's. So I will take the tried and true as opposed to the up and coming.

Don't get me wrong, I know alot of people run T5's and have great success, but to me, it isn't worth it to lose the shimmer effect to save a couple dollars a month on the electric bill.

Just my opinion though.

Thanks.

also somewhere it was thought that the shimmer created by lights helps the growth of the corals, dont know if thats total bs or not, but it sounds cool. Yeah I have a remora on my anemone tank at home, and it never really seemed to be doing much, but after tinkering with it the other night I finally got it to produce some crud. I was looking at the remora nano, but I think for the extra 20 i;ll get the full size one and have that extra skimming power; plus if I upgrade again, which we all do, I'll have it for a larger tank.

tsciarini wrote: While I've never actually seen a deltec in person so I can't comment on their materials/craftsmanship... but I've never understood why Deltec's are so expensive. Though I'll also agree that a HOB needlewheel is probably a great skimmer.

I saw Deltecs at MACNA this year. Crazy Big skimmers, even for Simon's setup. They had a lot there that wer 4-6 feet tall. They were all sold too. I couldn't believe it, especially for the prices they were charging. JMO.

they are considered one of the best skimmers, but wayyyy out of my price range, that and you need to convert the power supply cuz they have the whole euro plug going on; least all the ones Ive seen did.

Back