blocking off bulk head holes????

w_hartyjr;1001184 wrote: What is the best permanant way to block off bulk head holes in the bottom of a tank?

Probably the best way would be to get a square cut piece of glass or acrylic, depending on what your tank is made of, like for like, a bit larger in diameter, maybe 1" or better wider than the hole on all sides and the same thickness as the bottom, and either silicone it in place for glass, or use the appropriate acrylic solvent cement if the tank is acrylic.

The easier, but probably less desirable method would be to use a sealed bulkhead fitting, with the flange/gasket side of the bulkhead on the inside of the tank, and the lock nut on the bottom side.

The above just guesses on my part.

Acroholic;1001186 wrote: Probably the best way would be to get a square cut piece of glass or acrylic, depending on what your tank is made of, like for like, a bit larger in diameter, maybe 1" or better wider than the hole on all sides and the same thickness as the bottom, and either silicone it in place for glass, or use the appropriate acrylic solvent cement if the tank is acrylic.

The easier, but probably less desirable method would be to use a sealed bulkhead fitting, with the flange/gasket side of the bulkhead on the inside of the tank, and the lock nut on the bottom side.

The above just guesses on my part.
its a glass tank,how thick should the glass be

I've used a square patch as suggested above multiple times. I'd go with 1/2'' thick glass. Clean the patch and tank with alcohol first if possible.

I would expect glass the same thickness as the aquarium pane to be likely sufficient.

w_hartyjr;1001188 wrote: its a glass tank,how thick should the glass be

I'd use the same thickness as the glass pane the hole you are covering is. If the hole is in 1/2" glass, then use 1/2" glass to patch it. 3/4" thick glass hole, use 3/4" glass to patch it.

I have 4 holes closed up on my current setup. Two have glass patches over then, the other two, original overflow and return holes, have bulkheads in them with PCV plugs in the bulkheads, both methods seem to work fine.

Another option would be to plumb it and stop with a valve. Keep it closed and if you ever want to use it just complete the plumbing and you're good to go.

Bulkheads with PVC caps. It's the safest way, and it's easily reversible if you change your mind and/or sell the tank down the road.

Bulkhead with a small length of PVC glued in, and a PVC cap glued to the PVC. If you want to undo later on, you'll need a new bulkhead but that's it.

The patch method can/will work too but I wouldn't trust it as much. I've used the bulkhead/cap method successfully numerous times.

Jenn

w_hartyjr;1001460 wrote: After there installed how would you plug them off?
Threaded male to slip female adapter and a glued in plug/pipe with cap Valves are another option, they just scare some people.

freezerrat;1001467 wrote: Another option would be to plumb it and stop with a valve. Keep it closed and if you ever want to use it just complete the plumbing and you're good to go.
That would be my choice as well.

So all you bulkhead fans think a bulkhead would be more durable than a siliconed glass piece, huh? I have seen a lot more failed bulkheads than failed silicone/glass interfaces in my time in the hobby.

But then again, I have not patched a tank hole with either, so can't speak from actual experience.

Acroholic;1001786 wrote: So all you bulkhead fans think a bulkhead would be more durable than a siliconed glass piece, huh? I have seen a lot more failed bulkheads than failed silicone/glass interfaces in my time in the hobby.

But then again, I have not patched a tank hole with either, so can't speak from actual experience.
How does a qaulity, properly installed bulkhead fail? If it does start to leak you can usually just tighten it up a little or totally replace. The replacement can be done without draining the tank with the use of an oversize pipe. To repair a silicone patch job would require a total tear down if in the bottom of the tank.
Just curious how many qaulity, properly installed bulkheads have you seen fail? I don't recall as many on here as I have leaking tanks.

I do like the water change valve idea. I think I will go with new bulk heads and just plug them off. Thanks for the great ideas and all the info

Back