blocking off bulk head holes????

grouper therapy;1001831 wrote: How does a qaulity, properly installed bulkhead fail? If it does start to leak you can usually just tighten it up a little or totally replace. The replacement can be done without draining the tank with the use of an oversize pipe.
Just curious how many qaulity, properly installed bulkheads have you seen fail? I don't recall as many on here as I have leaking tanks.

Not commenting on what I have read on here, just my own experience. Never had a leaky tank, but have had a few leaky bulks in my time. Maybe not properly installed.

If I were looking to block a hole, I would want a permanent block, and guess I think of a siliconed glass patch as more permanent than a plugged bulk.

You don't hear about them because, as stated, the repair is easy and generally advice wouldn't be needed. I agree with Acroholic about the glass patch being better, IF was meant to be permanent.

freezerrat;1001838 wrote: You don't hear about them because, as stated, the repair is easy and generally advice wouldn't be needed. I agree with Acroholic about the glass patch being better, IF was meant to be permanent.
Perhaps they don't need repaired could be the other reason you don't hear about them. Not sure I understand the permanency thing since both would be deemed permanent if left in place. If durability is what was meant then perhaps a glass patch may have a slight edge/ if any but not enough to offset the ease of replacement should either ever need it.

Both options will work well. For durability on a hole I knew I wouldn't want to use again I'd go with a glass patch. There's really no practical way that would fail. But I've seen threads in the past about bulkheads leaking over time. Nuts that work loose over time is one example I remember specially. I once a secondhand biocube that had been drilled. Being unsure if I would use it I stubbed it to a valve. I think the method would depend on the intent of blocking the hole. Permanent, glass. Maybe going too be used again, bulkhead. A glass patch could be removed also, just a pain to do so.

I agree , extremely highly unlikely either would fail if done properly. So all things being equal up to the point of failure the smartest method would logically be the easiest to repair or replace.

Grouper, could you explain a little bit on the method you mentioned to replace a bulkhead without draining the tank? I am intrigued by the oversize pipe reference. Never know when that may come in handy.

place an oversize pipe over the bulkhead so that the pipe is against the bottom of the tank and is somewhat sealed then either pump the water out of the pipe or let it drain into a bucket when you loosen the bulkhead. The pipe serves as a coffer dam .

Back