Bristle worms

lilrobb

Market
Reaction score
I read a few different opinions on the web about em.

I just caught about 20 of these beasts in my tank today - what to do?

What's your opinion?

Robb

Catch em?
How do you catch them?

I know I have them...but they dont seem to cause a problem. Word on the street is they are beneficial.

But what do I know!

Drilled coke bottle and some shrimps...
I also had them temp down what made em REAL slow...

Robb

They are good until you get so many they start to aggervate all your corals. So I am going to thin them down a bit.

Well I guess I am curious how big they are. I think if they are small they are OK, mine started eating stuff when it got big. So are there several varieties here?

did you know you had alot of them and thats why you set out to catch them or what?

I know I have one, but Ive only seen one. I pulled him out months ago after freaking out about him to id him. Mine measured 13" long and left me with an uneasy feeling that lasted for days. But, I put him back in and still see him on rare occasions.

I saw them each night, the longest is a good 15" long and as think as a 3/4 PVC pipe, the smaller ones are tiny - the trap caught em too, LOL
Robb

I pulled one that was about half the length of my tank! But it was solid orange /red and i think it was a fire worm

They should be self limiting by what's available to eat. If you have a lot of them and/or they are that big then there must be a lot of dead stuff available for them to eat. If yoiu take them out, how are you going to remove the dead stuff that may now bcome ammonia without the bristle worms?

jason sartain;291103 wrote: I leave them in the tank but if I can catch some of the big ones I usually take them out.

What he said -- the big ones are fuge material, the rest are great to have.

Bristles are the best cleanup crew around -- they can last for months on end with no food at all, but as soon as the food comes in they can take care of any leftovers PDQ, keeping water quality high.

The only problem is when they start gettin' too big for their britches -- then they can and will make their own food if you are not giving them enough, and that's when you will see the "dark side of the bristle worm". This is all pretty rare, but very aggravating when you see it happen.

Basically if you see a bristle worm get large enough and bold enough to start wandering around the tank looking for food when it is hungry, then it's time to catch it and put it in the fuge.

If anyone has any bristle worms that they can catch and don't want, let me know. I don't have any right now since my tank is fairly new and could use a few. Thanks.

I'll know tomorrow if they survived the crab I attached to them in the fuge.

If they're alive - they're all yours.

Robb

LilRobb;290750 wrote: I read a few different opinions on the web about em.

I just caught about 20 of these beasts in my tank today - what to do?

What's your opinion?

Robb

You caught 20...great, you missed the other 200!

Leave them; they're beneficial. The only thing they'd really bother is Danny Bradley. So, unless he's going to be cleaning your tank, I wouldn't worry about them.

I know...

I think those were just the big and medium sized ones I caught - and why I started was a major sting while trying to get a coral that had fallen behind the rocks.
I am suspecting a bristle to be the culprit.
As long as they stay under 5" I'll be good to them.

Back