Bristleworm sting king.

dannybradley

Market
Reaction score
I still retain the crown. I've had countless stings, but this one might be the worst. I didn't even seem him, but he must have been huge. I had one a few years ago that was close, if not worse. They either hate me or love me.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
319904=16042-0402091120.jpg
>
319904=16042-0402091120.jpg
class="gc-images" title="0402091120.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

that's a good one. My finger tip still feels funny from a recent encounter. You should be on a flash light at night mission.

Ouch!

My tongue went numb yesterday after I was fragging some zoas. I washed my hands, but I guess not good enough as I had lunch afterward.

au01st;319917 wrote: Ouch!

My tongue went numb yesterday after I was fragging some zoas. I washed my hands, but I guess not good enough as I had lunch afterward.

Same thing has happened to me.

And......

Once I was stung by a lion fish wile trying to bag him..... Sick to my stomache and headache for an afternoon...

JAustin;319911 wrote: that's a good one. My finger tip still feels funny from a recent encounter. You should be on a flash light at night mission.

I don't mind them being in the tank. It's a 400 I maintain anyway, and have better things to do with my evenings... like surf the ARC :).

That's a beauty :)

I've had more than my share of stings. I think now my fingers are toughened and they don't bother me much at all anymore, unless they hit a part of my hand, like between the fingers or the back of my hand, where the skin isn't so tough...

I find vinegar works well to melt the nematocysts out. I tried the duct tape method - that hurts worse than the initial sting.

Scott (my ex-husband/business partner) has been tagged by long-spined urchin, rabbitfish and (dead) coral catfish... he's felt the burn on many occasions.

Where I used to work, before I knew that rabbitfish were venomous, I used to handle them with my bare hands - lifting them into and out of specimen cups for dips/baths. Then one day somebody pointed out that they were venomous - ignorance is bliss! I never did that again - because you just KNOW I'd have been tagged then...

Jenn

OH - and I have had my share of bites... large clownfishes, big wrasses, the occasional trigger, and once, a viper eel. That one made me jump. Broke the skin, bled for over an hour. A week later my finger swelled to the point where I couldn't bend it. I was out of town at a trade show when it started to puff up. As it happened, I had a doctor's appointment a couple of days after I got home so I showed it to her, but by that time it had started to un-puff. She said if it flared up again to come back and she'd prescribe some antibiotics for it - but it healed up on its own. Lots of nasty bacteria in an eel's mouth... :::shudder:::

Jenn

JennM;319958 wrote: OH - and I have had my share of bites... large clownfishes, big wrasses, the occasional trigger, and once, a viper eel.

An 8" Rectangulas Trigger nicked my thumb one time- Didnt' break the skin but left scratches int he nail. I was very lucky. I've taken spines from Long Spine urchins several times. I've been bitten by countless times by clownfish. I've had a 10" Sohal break the skin

JennM;319938 wrote: That's a beauty :)

I find vinegar works well to melt the nematocysts out. I tried the duct tape method - that hurts worse than the initial sting.

I soaked it in vinegar right away. And is it a nematocyst?

Oh yeah, I forgot when the Blackedge Moray got me. That one bled and I have a scar.

I think it's a nematocyst. At the very least it's a spicule - somebody will correct me on that if need be :) In any event it hurts!

I had the palm of my hand slashed by a rather large Atlantic Blue Tang once. I was giving him a FW dip - in a bucket (he was that large)... when I went to lift him back to the saltwater vessel, he flipped and slashed the palm of my hand diagonally. That one smarted. But surprisingly, it didn't leave a mark.

We should have a tank war wounds contest sometime :)

Jenn

Three months ago, my landlords dog bit me in the butt while I was pet sitting in his absence.......... Is this still on topic?

ps, no pics......sorry.

Only if the dog was swimming in your tank when he bit you ;)

:lol2:I needed that

It is never the bite that gets me, its my elbow smashing the glass edge when I yank my arm from getting bit. I have a pistol that has nailed me several times and a Huma Huma that broke the skin several times.

JennM;320167 wrote: I think it's a nematocyst. At the very least it's a spicule - somebody will correct me on that if need be :) In any event it hurts!

I had the palm of my hand slashed by a rather large Atlantic Blue Tang once. I was giving him a FW dip - in a bucket (he was that large)... when I went to lift him back to the saltwater vessel, he flipped and slashed the palm of my hand diagonally. That one smarted. But surprisingly, it didn't leave a mark.

We should have a tank war wounds contest sometime :)

Jenn

Ha! You and your F/W dips! That's what you get :)! After a little reasearch, the spine is made of calcium carbonate or silica, depending on the worm. I suppose it is similiar to a spicule in that it can be CaCO3 or a Si compound, but I believe the form is different and significantly larger.

Bristleworm king? I'm pretty sure the bristleworms have a different term for you :D

Skriz;320245 wrote: Bristleworm king? I'm pretty sure the bristleworms have a different term for you :D

Something along the lines of an itch where the B stung me?

Dakota9;320174 wrote: Three months ago, my landlords dog bit me in the butt while I was pet sitting in his absence.......... Is this still on topic?

ps, no pics......sorry.

It's a good thing you didn't turn around too quickly right before he gotcha.

DannyBradley;320249 wrote: Something along the lines of an itch where the B stung me?

Someone should come up with a repellant that is safe to apply before working in a tank.

Danny, maybe it's your Aqua Velva that they like?

Dakota9;320174 wrote: Three months ago, my landlords dog bit me in the butt while I was pet sitting in his absence.......... Is this still on topic?

ps, no pics......sorry.

It's a good thing you didn't turn around too quickly right before he gotcha.

Back