Brown Jelly

Shawn

Market
Reaction score
I wake up this morning to a melting peach hammer. Two of the four heads completely gone. Brown jelly. So. Now that BJD is in my tank, what's the best way to kill it? I don't have a QT for all of my euphyllia and can't set one up. What are my options?

I'm currently dipping the hammer in iodine dip and then coralrx. But if this is in my tank now I'm in trouble. Is there a whole tank solution?? Thankfully I'm home today and can keep an eye on it.

As far as parameters, everything is fine. I can list them all out but my numbers are spot on :p

I'm running UV, and have been for a while. I run carbon for two hours a day but I suppose I should turn it on for a few days?

no point in dipping. Time to toss the affected ones. I know this is a painful choice but you need to cut the loss, and cut it quick. Ask me how I know.......
Alright. I'm setting up my portable frag tank as a "qt" frag tank... Let's see what happens.

Well - let's give this an hour or so and see how it goes...

i didnt know brown jelly could jump from coral to coral like that

I'm grasping so keep that in mind...

...I'd do a hydrogen peroxide bath on at least 1 to see how it does.

I've dipped quite a few things directly in 3% H2O2 with no long term affect on MOST things (chalices don't like it unless it's quick - zoas don't care - sps seemed mixed)

If you are dipping, make sure you dip the healthy ones too.

I got brown jelly years ago when an Aussie gold was $50-80. It wiped out my entire euphyllia collection at the time.

I'm keeping a close eye on the others.

Here's the aftermath of 20 minute concentrated iodine dip, 20 minutes of CoralRx, and isolation tank. 62681140474__FB8400D6-331A-4BE9-AE15-5FF56DFE108D.jpg

Dip each coral in Lugol’s as you are.

I would buy a large container of plain yogurt & several packages of baking or brewers yeast.

Take some tank water and pour into clean bowl or vessel. Add several teaspoons of yeast, say 1 per 50 gallons tank volume, into the vessel with tank water. Stir well and allow to sit for 20 min. Then pour into tank. Turn off UV.

Pour off the clear liquid from the yogurt container (without mixing). Drip acclimate the liquid with tank water for an hour then empty into the tank.

If you drink kombucha or kefir, that may be used instead of the yogurt juice above.

Maintain vigorous circulation. Dose as above daily for several days.

I promise I’m not nuts!
This is probiotics 101, or also may be called defensive allelopathy.

I just thought about it in my freak out - When I awoke and found this piece it was laying on a goni colony. Goni's are extended and look fine. I wonder if this was just the gonis killing those heads and the subsequent infection....

If brown jelly is a bacteria, I can understand why probiotics would work. Nice option! Hope you get all under control.

I have a 13.5 gallon tank you could borrow as needed. I plan to sell it soon anyways, so breaking it down. Draining water this weekend or sooner if you need it.

Now thinking about it even more, the side of the coral that landed on the goni was the one with zero tissue remaining on the head. So that would make even more sense.

If brown jelly is a bacteria, I can understand why probiotics would work. Nice option! Hope you get all under control.

I have a 13.5 gallon tank you could borrow as needed. I plan to sell it soon anyways, so breaking it down. Draining water this weekend or sooner if you need it.
Thank you Brandy! I think I was just too quick to diagnose rather than think about the cause and whether goniopora would kill euphyllia, lol. I wouldn't have thought that at ALL...

Dip each coral in Lugol’s as you are.

I would buy a large container of plain yogurt & several packages of baking or brewers yeast.

Take some tank water and pour into clean bowl or vessel. Add several teaspoons of yeast, say 1 per 50 gallons tank volume, into the vessel with tank water. Stir well and allow to sit for 20 min. Then pour into tank. Turn off UV.

Pour off the clear liquid from the yogurt container (without mixing). Drip acclimate the liquid with tank water for an hour then empty into the tank.

If you drink kombucha or kefir, that may be used instead of the yogurt juice above.

Maintain vigorous circulation. Dose as above daily for several days.

I promise I’m not nuts!
This is probiotics 101, or also may be called defensive allelopathy.

Ya know. I would call you nuts if I haven't seen a bunch of your other posts while lurking. And while it seems nuts to put that into a tank... your science is sound xD

Back