BRS 150 GPD RO Upgrade Kit

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
Has anyone used this? Looks pretty good. You add it to your existing 75 GPD unit and it is supposed to decrease your waste water:product water ratio to 1:1.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/150-gpd-water-saving-upgrade-kit.html?utm_source=www.Bulkreefsupply.com+Newsletter&utm_campaign=9d61f321db-Weekly_Specials_7_25_4_5_stars_7_25_2011&utm_medium=email">http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/150-gpd-water-saving-upgrade-kit.html?utm_source=www.Bulkreefsupply.com+Newsletter&utm_campaign=9d61f321db-Weekly_Specials_7_25_4_5_stars_7_25_2011&utm_medium=email</a>

I have a Melev's Reef 100 GPD RODI unit that the RO membrane has reached the 3.5 year mark and needs replaced, and I was able to buy a replacement 75 GPD Membrane and flow restrictor, and the additional 75 GPD upgrade kit for the same price as the replacement 100 gallon RO Membrane ($100). So now I'll have a 150 GPD unit with a much better waste:product ratio. I had to purchase these as well to convert my 100 membrane to a 75 GPD membrane. So if you already have a 75 GPD unit you don't need these and can do the upgrade for $60 instead of $100.

[IMG]http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reverse-osmosis-filters-and-systems/replacement-filters-and-di-resin/reverse-osmosis-membranes/75-gpd-filmtec-ro-membrane.html">http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reverse-osmosis-filters-and-systems/replacement-filters-and-di-resin/reverse-osmosis-membranes/75-gpd-filmtec-ro-membrane.html</a>

[IMG]http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reverse-osmosis-filters-and-systems/replacement-filters-and-di-resin/reverse-osmosis-membranes/75-gpd-flow-restrictor-with-quick-fittings.html">http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reverse-osmosis-filters-and-systems/replacement-filters-and-di-resin/reverse-osmosis-membranes/75-gpd-flow-restrictor-with-quick-fittings.html</a>

The first membrane waste water feeds the second membrane.

Install video. [IMG]http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/video?file_name=59">http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/video?file_name=59</a>

Can't wait to get this and install it.

I think this upgrade will pay for itself pretty quickly, in addition to being a bit greener than the old setup.

Only caveat I can think of is that you do need water pressure of 65 PSI for this to work with the dual membrane setup. Not an issue for me, as I have a booster pump already.

I live at the bottom of a huge drop off as anyone that has been to my house can attest. Pressure is NOT an issue...
I just got my first RO/DI setup online last week and have been playing around with it but am really quite ignorant. hehe
I replaced the carbon but the membrane and DI are suppose to have 4 months on them. I couldn't gauge otherwise by look alone and have been contemplating replacing them anyway. I would have already but $$$ is the issue. Hopefully in a few weeks I may be able to resolve that??? This is good to know towards their replacement though!

Yup, I did this to my unit last year when I moved up from a 90 gallon to a 180. Makes water soooooo much faster. Even at 65 PSI, I'm getting ~1:1.5.

(I should say I WAS getting 1:1.5... I need to replace my filters)

I've done to my old kent unit and love it!!

You do need 65 to the first membrane to work right....

blakejohn;672804 wrote: I did this to mine a couple yrs ago, didn't know they made a kit for it. I did it cause I thought I could get more product with the same amount of waste.

I did measure it earlier this year though and at 80 psi I had 1:1.25.

1:1.25 would be a huge improvement. I run my booster pump at 84 psi.

Acroholic;672815 wrote: 1:1.25 would be a huge improvement. I run my booster pump at 84 psi.

... I should really get my h20 station up and running. I've had the booster pump for the better part of a year just sitting in the box...

rjrgroup;672799 wrote: I live at the bottom of a huge drop off as anyone that has been to my house can attest. Pressure is NOT an issue...
I just got my first RO/DI setup online last week and have been playing around with it but am really quite ignorant. hehe
I replaced the carbon but the membrane and DI are suppose to have 4 months on them. I couldn't gauge otherwise by look alone and have been contemplating replacing them anyway. I would have already but $$$ is the issue. Hopefully in a few weeks I may be able to resolve that??? This is good to know towards their replacement though!

I've found that the DI Resin lasts a lot longer than the Vendors tell you, probably because we have such low TDS in our tap water to start with. I just replaced my DI resin and it was not completely exhausted, and it had been about 15 months since the last change with product water still at 0 TDS. You can buy color changing resin that shows you when to change. I have a clear DI container so it is easy to tell. I think most manufacturers recommend you replace the sediment and carbon block filters at a 6-12 month interval. RO Membranes should last 3-5 years in Georgia, more towards the longer end of it, again because we have such low TDS.

Acroholic;672794 wrote: I think this upgrade will pay for itself pretty quickly, in addition to being a bit greener than the old setup.

Only caveat I can think of is that you do need water pressure of 65 PSI for this to work with the dual membrane setup. Not an issue for me, as I have a booster pump already.

Dave,

Please tell me about this booster pump that you speak of !!!!!!

Does BRS sell them or where to get??????

I only have about 35--- 40 Psi, but would like to get the upgrade.

Thanks

Dennis

Wineman;672823 wrote: Dave,

Please tell me about this booster pump that you speak of !!!!!!

Does BRS sell them or where to get??????

I only have about 35--- 40 Psi, but would like to get the upgrade.

Thanks

Dennis

Yup it is the 8800. Here's the booster pump kit I got....it has everything you need for automatic operation. One of the equipment buys that is really worth it. Almost doubled the production of my RO unit.

a>

blakejohn;672834 wrote: I'm not Dave but. I know air water ice sells them. They run about $200 or they did when I got mine. Just Google reverse osmosis booster pump.

Acroholic, if you got 15 months from your Di, then I might have some Di to sell. I've noticed that from my membranes I get zero tds before the Di. At this rate my stock of resin will excede its shelf life. Lol.

Yea, you can get booster pumps from a lot of places, not just BRS. The AWI "Water Station" unit is $129 on sale right now. Doesn't say what Model Pump it is, but I'd guess the 8800.

Most RO units should do a great job with Georgia tap water since it is soft to begin with. The DI is really just to get anything else that might get through, I guess.

Great, thanks for the information guys.

I will look into getting one of these boosters.

Dennis

I have the bra dual membrane with no booster pump and it works fine.

I'm the same boat as Wineman. My water pressure is just horrible. Under 40 psi usually. Sometime, I'll get around to getting a booster pump. I just wish they didn't cost as much as the RO/DI unit did!! :lol2:

I had the upgrade done and it has been a great improvement. You save a lot of water adding the upgrade. I am curious if I can add another upgrade and save even more water. Of course if I do that then I am going to need a booster.

Do it !!! I like to see what results you get.

blakejohn;673343 wrote: I Ben thinking the same since I did.it. heck. If it cut my waste more than half the first time. Will it cut it.the same again? I might just try it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

blakejohn;673343 wrote: I Ben thinking the same since I did.it. heck. If it cut my waste more than half the first time. Will it cut it.the same again? I might just try it.

I have never seen any manufactured water saver units with three RO Membranes. It would be nice if it works. Would there be sufficient pressure after two RO membranes to make a third work? I wonder if a second booster pump in between the second and third RO membrane would take care of it?

Back