Bryopsis cure using fluconazole

mgerald

Reaction score
I looked and didn't see much regarding bryopsis on here besides using kent tech M to raise mg but from what I hear/read they have changed ingredients and it is no longer working to eradicate this mess and didn't want to mess with keeping mg levels high for weeks on end.

I figured I would share my success with eradicating bryopsis in 10 days using a medication called fluconazole which is typically for humans. I had a few small patches I was unable to get rid of so I did a lot of research and found this medication works wonders and let me tell you it does. I dosed 800mg to my 46gal bow and it was gone in 10 days no changes to any of my livestock or corals. I was able to source this medication online and even got extra stock supply incase it ever comes back but hoping for the best it never does. I'm just glad to see its gone.

If any one is really interested and has an issue with Bryopsis you can find all the information you need about using this medication at https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/">https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/</a>

If anyone has any questions let me know and I would be more than happy to share any other information you need. I know this stuff is nasty and hard to get rid of.

Yeah, been following that one as well... I saw somewhere in the thread that one of the participants had said that it worked on some of the more traditional macro algae as well. Did you have any in your system ans if so were there any changes to it?

I have some Caulerpa that comes and goes and I won't mind finally getting rid of all it. Tried Tangs, hand picking and even H2O2 but it seems to come back after a few months. Not a problem exactly but wouldn't mind nipping it in the bud

Hey Jenn I did not have anything else besides the bryopsis I unfortunately picked up from a frag I bought so I am not real sure if it would work on Caulerpa. From what I've seen that's pretty tough to get rid of as well either putting your rock in a fuge if you have one, removing the rock and getting new rock, or letting your rock dry out epically if tangs have not worked for you. I hope you find a cure and wish I could help more. You could always try this medication and see if it works. Like I said it had no effect on any of my livestock or corals.

--Matt

What is the brand in the blue and white capsules, I would like to give it a try on my 60g cube. I bought a frag of zoas a few years ago and have cleaned on it constantly, no problems, put it in my new cube and it spread like wild fire. I'm willing to give it a chance and keep a picture record of it. Holley:D

Fluconazole is the brand also called flucon or diflucan which is the same thing, the capsules are best to use but can use tablets crushed up. I was able to source mine from payless pet products or if you have a close physician that will give you an Rx that would work also. I as well tried scrubbing my rock out of the tank and it just kept coming back until I used this and within 4 days after dosing with medication you will start to notice die off. Just make sure to read through the link I posted above a lot of helpful information

--Matt

Two and a half months ago I dosed my JBJ28 Nano, followed the R2R thread, and have been bryopsis and GHA free ever since!!!

Not the best shots, but some before and after.
3e1e2a0f63aadfdc4f81212c1385bf34.jpg
alt="" />
7a0e2ca36d44887ac9d81befe4ae45ff.jpg
alt="" />
27da59b48f8e8e89514feb2ce19b7930.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I dosed a little over the recommend amount for my system (said to use 46 caps, I just rounded to 50 or 10,000 mg on a 450g system) I turned off my GFO, carbon, UV and skimmer but left my algea scubber running after cleaning the screen so it kills whatever is in there too.

I have carbon and a full 100% water change ready to go if anything goes wrong. As well as another full dose if I need to do another treatment.

Current status, Day 4 of treatment.

I can definitely see a slight reduction in the bryopsis. There are less leaves on the strands and the strands are shorter in some places. So far the only corals affected were my tubs blue zoas diappeared overnight, but they were recently added so could be unrelated.

Otherwise everything operating as normal.

I started mine today, I used 8 200mg capsules for 80g of water. I have a question, I read what was posted on R2R and am not sure if I understand what was meant when they said turn off actinic light then said under Lighting -that you don't need to do anything. I either didn't read it right or there is a contradiction. Has anyone turned off their actinics?

https://www.payless-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html">https://www.payless-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html</a>

Put my order in this AM...

Raz0945;1113528 wrote: I started mine today, I used 8 200mg capsules for 80g of water. I have a question, I read what was posted on R2R and am not sure if I understand what was meant when they said turn off actinic light then said under Lighting -that you don't need to do anything. I either didn't read it right or there is a contradiction. Has anyone turned off their actinics?

I didn't change my lighting schedule, but know people moved rocks for better flow and light exposure. I didn't touch a thing for two weeks and all went well.

Thank you for the info! I'm on day 2 and the algae is a little lighter in coloe.:D
QUOTE=Wally;1113589]I didn't change my lighting schedule, but know people moved rocks for better flow and light exposure. I didn't touch a thing for two weeks and all went well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Wow... this is great news for everybody. However, I am a bit surprised by the amount of people who are getting the treatment, I didnt know so many people had this green hairy demon in there tanks. ;-)

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

Sewer Urchin;1113595 wrote: Wow... this is great news for everybody. However, I am a bit surprised by the amount of people who are getting the treatment, I didnt know so many people had this green hairy demon in there tanks. ;-)

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

For my case, I relocated back to GA and did a poor job at nuking my rocks. I had a little before I moved, but when I set me tank back up GHA and bryopsis went crazy. I happened to come across the thread on R2R just in time and am grateful for it!

Yeah, it was the massive amount of senior members that got me to jump onboard right away and that so many people's progress has been documented.

You shouldn't have to change anything with lighting schedule in your tank. I ran mine as normal and didn't change anything. I left my Carbon and skimmer on but that's all I run on my tank besides filter pads. I actually dosed 120mg less than recommended for my tank size because I wanted to see would it actually work and it worked great. I noticed a few other reefers dosing less than recommended with success. Still eradicated this nasty stuff and has been 3 wks and a water change later and no sign of it still. I also only had 2 small patches in my tank but wanted to rid it before it got any worse.

Day 7 update.

Bryopsis is almost totally gone. Granted I didnt have much of it but whats left is about 1/4" of the stem so I would guess a few more days till its not visible and a few more to kill the roots.

BUT my thick *** hair algea remains and appears unaffected so far.

Back