Bryopsis cure using fluconazole

EnderG60;1113707 wrote: Day 7 update.

Bryopsis is almost totally gone. Granted I didnt have much of it but whats left is about 1/4" of the stem so I would guess a few more days till its not visible and a few more to kill the roots.

BUT my thick *** hair algea remains and appears unaffected so far.

I was told that this treatment would work on hair algae! Don't want to use this treatment if it won't take out hair algae! Anyone have some positive results using this on hair algae?

DonS;1113710 wrote: I was told that this treatment would work on hair algae! Don't want to use this treatment if it won't take out hair algae! Anyone have some positive results using this on hair algae?

GHA took a week or so longer, but definitely disappeared. I also added a few Mexican turbos after the first week and they ate both types as it was dying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DonS;1113710 wrote: I was told that this treatment would work on hair algae! Don't want to use this treatment if it won't take out hair algae! Anyone have some positive results using this on hair algae?

Give it time, every report so far says GHA can take up to 3 weeks, Its only been one week.

EnderG60;1113707 wrote: Day 7 update.

Bryopsis is almost totally gone. Granted I didnt have much of it but whats left is about 1/4" of the stem so I would guess a few more days till its not visible and a few more to kill the roots.

BUT my thick *** hair algea remains and appears unaffected so far.

Does anyone have an update on this product for hair algae?
I got a prescription from my Vet and got it filled at Kroger's Pharm. $93.00 inc tax for 50 x 200 tablets
(Need to be crushed) but am still reluctant to use it 🙁

Im on day 12 now Bryopsis is pretty much gone and I am seeing the smaller strands of GHA are losing color like the Bryopsis did when it started to die off. I cant tell if the thicker strands are effected yet but signs look good.

Im going to finish out 3 weeks, If I still have any GHA after that I will do a large water change and do a second treatment.

EnderG60;1114030 wrote: Im on day 12 now Bryopsis is pretty much gone and I am seeing the smaller strands of GHA are losing color like the Bryopsis did when it started to die off. I cant tell if the thicker strands are effected yet but signs look good.

Im going to finish out 3 weeks, If I still have any GHA after that I will do a large water change and do a second treatment.

Thanks for the update. I'm all in at this point. Treated the tank today, very nervous but it's now history, sort of!
Skimmer went wild, took it off-line for time being! Keeping a side log that I will share down the road!

Week 2 update. Byropsis is gone. I see no signs of it. GHA is fading. The thinner strands have died off and the thicker ones are starting to turn greyish like the bryopsis did at the start, so its dying but slowly.

I think I will watch it for the next week and decide if I will do stop treatment next week or push it to 4 weeks.

So I decided to do a 3 day lights out while doing the treatment. Result. Small GHA is gone. Thicker stuff is short and grey looking. Shouldnt be long now.

EnderG60;1114317 wrote: So I decided to do a 3 day lights out while doing the treatment. Result. Small GHA is gone. Thicker stuff is short and grey looking. Shouldnt be long now.
Thanks, will keep eye on it? Might try lights out in a day or so!

DonS;1114327 wrote: Thanks, will keep eye on it? Might try lights out in a day or so!
Hair Algae
Day 12 of treatment, cut lighting to 2 hours a day! Don't see significant change in main tank, but did notice some reduction in refugium.
Question: should I go to 21 days? Or do a water change and re-treat?
Note: everything else in tank seems to be doing OK.
Thanks for any comments ��

my is been 11 days with very minimum results, i am going to stop soon because my corals are not too happy at all

Oh, I stopped treatment on Friday after a full 21 days. There is nothing but the small rotten nubs of some GHA left on some egg crate in my tank. Everything else is gone.

I had a few zoas come off the rocks but that may have just been due to the nutrient spike.

I did a big water change and got everything back running and all is well.

If you have GHA do the full 21 days at full dosage. It took mine more than 14 days to even show signs of distress, then it gave up and died over the next week.

EnderG60;1114721 wrote: Oh, I stopped treatment on Friday after a full 21 days. There is nothing but the small rotten nubs of some GHA left on some egg crate in my tank. Everything else is gone.

I had a few zoas come off the rocks but that may have just been due to the nutrient spike.

I did a big water change and got everything back running and all is well.

If you have GHA do the full 21 days at full dosage. It took mine more than 14 days to even show signs of distress, then it gave up and died over the next week.
Thanks, will go the 21 days as you suggest as I don't seem to have any other signs of distress. Fortunately
I only have mushrooms and other soft corals + fish and inverts.

UPDATE. Found a few spots of GHA popping up on my frag rack. Looks like a patch I didnt see didnt fully die.

If you are trying to kill GHA Id say up the time to a full 4 weeks at full dose just to be sure. Ill be doing that when I get back from my trip in a few weeks. In the mean time I am just going to bleach that frag rack as I dont see it anywhere else.

Well, went a bit longer than expected but results were great. 100% reduction
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

How long did you end up doing the treatment and how long since you stopped?

EnderG60;1117426 wrote: How long did you end up doing the treatment and how long since you stopped?
Treatment was over 5 weeks! Had a little left at the 4 week timeframe so kept it going!
Embarrassed to say I've done nothing else since starting! Golf has taken front stage, but everything in the tank is looking good. So I guess answer is I haven't stopped, but have been running protein skimmer non-stop. I can't imagine that the drug continues to be active after such a long period of time.
Even found one of my sea hares out grazing on other stuff! Will not credit sea hares with the GHA demise as I've never seen it grazing on anything but smaller algae .

This is an amazing discovery, Amen!

Has ANYONE had or heard of reported negative results?
Impressive pictures!

Camellia;1117756 wrote: This is an amazing discovery, Amen!

Has ANYONE had or heard of reported negative results?
Impressive pictures!
Just some additional info in case I didn't mention it earlier. Got prescription from my Vet. Had it filled at Kroger Pharm using one of those PetMed Cards. Just wasn't comfortable with imported Chinese Drugs.
Cost was $90+ vs $65 + from online source.
Note: I have no high end stuff in my tank, mushrooms, Kenya tree, snails and crabs plus a couple of fish.

Back