Building a Canopy

brisco15

Market
Reaction score
I've never done a project like this before so all suggestions are appreciated! I want to put a canopy on my 75 to house my LED fixtures. First questions involve hardware and paint. Any specific wood, salt resistant paint and or special methods of bonding ie. Glue or screws? I wanna start this project ASAP but don't wanna waste time or money doing it the wrong way. Thanks in advance. Anyone out there build canopies or rent there services out?

Wood glue and a Craig jig. I really like modeling my projects in Google sketch up before building to make sure I think through each piece.

Any specific glue better? Google sketch? Dont paint where im gonna glue id assume as well.

Most people paint after construction. Some will chalk the seams on the inside. I think the purpose is to keep moisture out of the seems. Sketchup is free software from google. Check it out on you tube!

I'm no paint expert but I just bought some to paint a stand that I have in the works. I bought valspar latex enamel from Lowes because another member used it and the paint job turned out great. I'm planning to use a good primer also. I'm probably going to do 3 coats of primer and two coats of the paint and a light sanding between each.

As far as wood goes, I've seen every thing from 2x4 construction skinned with 1/4" plywood (or bead board) to 3/4" plywood only. Personally, I'm making my canopy out of plywood. I think the finished product looks much better, and most of the reputable stand makers use the same (some get really fancy).

As for renting out someone's services, groupertheropy does fantastic work. If you are looking for something simple I could do it. If you do it yourself, glue is the most important aspect of joining things. screws and or nail just hold it together while the glue sets up. Make sure the glue you use says, "Suitable for wet locations". Also, make sure you use a damp sponge or cloth to wipe up any glue that squeezes out. Glue doesn't take paint very well.

Ive got time and some $ not trying to go too crazy $ , still needing to purchase 3 LED fixtures for another tank. Looking for clean but simple look black flat no trim needed. Just trying to hide the LED lights and bring them lower, they currently hang and it isnt to nice on the eyes.

a miter box and skill saw is all you need... all other tools are a bonus. you can do a simple straight box to a tricked out box. of course you will need either a hammer and nails or a face/brad nailer

eagle9252;754110 wrote: a miter box and skill saw is all you need... all other tools are a bonus. you can do a simple straight box to a tricked out box. of course you will need either a hammer and nails or a face/brad nailer
Just use a butter knife there :)Mcgyver.

Edit: To the OP Have you ever worked with tools before?

grouper therapy;754129 wrote: Just use a butter knife there :)Mcgyver.

:yay::yay::yay:

But then, not everyone can afford a "Dedicated Morticer" NORM!!!! LOL

eagle9252;754110 wrote: a miter box and skill saw is all you need... all other tools are a bonus. you can do a simple straight box to a tricked out box. of course you will need either a hammer and nails or a face/brad nailer

to add to the post

after you decide on what you want it to look like then you have to make sure you have the tools. everything is pretty straight forward.

If youre really going for a Simple canopy, like a basic frame without decorative trim, design on paper, and take your measurements to home depot or lowes to have them cut the material for you. Then you can assemble the canopy at home and put the desired ammount of effort into the finish. Simple and very affordable, if that's what youre looking for! If you want it to be phenomenal, and painless, let Grouper build it!

I'm slammed right now with work but if you can wait a few weeks I will be glad to instruct you some.

For sure im very patient. and sorry few tools can get most just need to know what would be necessary.

Brisco15;754503 wrote: For sure im very patient. and sorry few tools can get most just need to know what would be necessary.

miter box
skill saw
hammer / nail set or face/brad nailer
glue
screws

pm sent

The best paint is to use....not that others won't suffice......is pool paint. I bought some for my project and it is awesome. Caulked the seam and painted with this stuff........you could hold water with it. Popular for those folks making the plywood tanks too. But it comes in white so it is great to in that it will also help reflect any stray light back towards the tank......not that it is in any way a reflector though.

Back