Bulkhead questions

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
I have dual overflows on my set up with bulheads like this as they were set up by the previous owner. They chose this "barbed" attachement on this drain and had 1" clear tubing pushed up on to it. I would prefer to plum it with PVC or spa flex from this point. This barb is cemented and I guess I will need new ones. Plus it looks to me like this reduces the flow a good bit. I would prefer to open it a little.
*Will PVC thread on to these? Doesnt look like it. I guess I need slip fit PVC here??
* Also when installing these to the bottom of the tank, even though there is a gasket, I am tempted to spread a little aquarium silicone on both sides of the glass to ensure a water tight seal. Replacing these bulkheads does not look like something I would need to do again

Any other plumbing/pvc/bulkhead tips appreciated.

Thanks!

576198073_8G8kU-M.jpg
alt="" />

you are on the right track getting rid of the barb, it does reduce flow volume. As far as the silicone goes...I have been using plumbers grease...which is like vaseline and seems to work well and won't be a problem to remove when the time comes. Good luck.

BASSCYN;363186 wrote: I have dual overflows on my set up with bulheads like this as they were set up by the previous owner. They chose this "barbed" attachement on this drain and had 1" clear tubing pushed up on to it. I would prefer to plum it with PVC or spa flex from this point. This barb is cemented and I guess I will need new ones. Plus it looks to me like this reduces the flow a good bit. I would prefer to open it a little.
*Will PVC thread on to these? Doesnt look like it. I guess I need slip fit PVC here??
* Also when installing these to the bottom of the tank, even though there is a gasket, I am tempted to spread a little aquarium silicone on both sides of the glass to ensure a water tight seal. Replacing these bulkheads does not look like something I would need to do again

Any other plumbing/pvc/bulkhead tips appreciated.

Thanks!

576198073_8G8kU-M.jpg
alt="" />

That setup does seriously restrict the drainage of the overflows. Not an issue if your pump does not return more than they can drain, but most folks use a different setup. There is a large inner diameter difference between that barbed fitting and say 1" PVC pipe.

If you go PVC, you will need two 1" slip x slip bulkheads. But be cautioned that once set up your PVC is not really removable, unless you incorporate union fittings, and if you use unions, you should upsize them then use reducer bushings becasue a 1" union fitting has a seriously small hole for flow.

Another option is to use the same two 1" slip bulkheads, but buy two 3 foot long ribbed drain hoses (spa flex), like what comes with wet-dry filters. I use these. They come in 3', 4', and 6' lengths. They have an ID of 1.25", and slip over the end of 1" ID PVC pipe. Cut two pieces of 1" pvc pipe about 4 inches long, and glue them to the bottom slip of the bulkhead. Then push the end of the ribbed pipe over the end and clamp. Do the same for where the drain lines connect to your sump. Here is a pic of what Spa-flex looks like. Optimum sells them, and you can buy online (ebay) as well.

drainhose.jpg
alt="" />

I would not use silicone on the bulkhead gasket assembly. It is not needed. Hand tighten only.

I thought this was a question about Buckhead........

Oddly, I know more about it than bulkheads

Dakota9;363209 wrote: I thought this was a question about Buckhead........

:lol2:Sorry for the typo man...but a fine topic on its own.

Me too! I thought we were going to start talking @ some old skool clubbing!

You can add a lil' silicone if you want, but it's not necessary. If you use some, it'll come off easily, so done worry about removal.

:lol3: me too! I thought I was finally going to be able to answer a question. Not!

Susie

A slightly different view on the bulkheads, I used the outer threads connected to 1 1/4' pvc piping for my return. (thread fitting BTW, larger ID than slip)
I fit a thread to slip coupler from the bulkhead fitting to a union, then an ell, to a union valve, to another ell and into the return portion of my sump.
If the pipe you choose has the same or larger inside diameter as the union, you will have no restriction other than whats inherent in the ells and valves.
As pointed out above, flex hose works well, you can find the higher quality (spa flex type) washing machine return hoses at Lowes and use that, however unless you restrict it somewhere you will not have a valve to isolate or regulate the return flow.
I've found most stores inventory the barb fittings nearer to the HVAC stuff for some reason, not in the plumbing section, generally near the center aisle, and in the second bay forward.

Yeah, the outside threads of the bulkheads are an electrical conduit fitting. PVC is just barely not big enough or too big. The electrical conduit doesn't have the exact same thread, but enough to get them on 1" or so and put some silicone in the threads and let it seal. I had mine set up like this for a while on the advice of LFS, not sure why he told me to do it this way and not the "correct" way.

Actually they are schedule 20 PVC, or commonly used as waste and drain, but they do cross over to real close to the electrical dimensions.
Getting the ones too small and boiling them for a couple minutes allows you to 'reform' them to the correct size. I use a heat gun or a wallpaper steamer from one of my old remodeling projects.
Most plumbing parts found at the home improvement places are schedule 40, but there is schedule 20 stuff there, you have to ask or just get lucky to find it.
Getting this stuff from a plumbing wholesale shop would get you off the shelf stuff that will fit minus mods, but they are usually open regular hours when everyone else is working, canceling out just picking them up.
PVC is PVC, if it's black, grey or white, it should all fit the pipe and glue up no problem.
ABS pipe would be different, FYI, it will not meet the pipe diameter.

This is kind of what I had in mind. but still a little fuzzy.

wbrown;363373 wrote: I fit a thread to slip coupler from the bulkhead fitting to a union

This coupler sound like more of a specialty item than a Lowes/Hd stock item. Yes?
So...this coupler threads on to the bulkhead and I can attach standard size PVC or spa flex to this slip fitting??

nope, you should be able to find 'em at either store. Bear in mind if you don't find it in the schedule 40 stuff to look or ask for the schedule 20 parts.

Thanks guys!
Hey I assume this "barbed" attachement will unscrew?
Shes pretty cemented in there.

Should I just hunt down some new ones?

<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Ok...I hooked up with some standard thread/slip type bulkheads. I guess the normal procedure would be to cement 1” PVC up into this bulkhead. But I had really envisioned using pool hose or flex hose of some kind <u>over</u> this fitting to maximize the flow and reduce the number of elbows. This is all getting plumbed through the wall behind the display. I have a pretty tall sump so plumbing is going to come out of this bulkhead and go 90 deg.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">So how come I don’t just get some pool/flex hose and <u>clamp</u> on to this threaded bulkhead? I mean…it’s just a drain right? It shouldn’t be under enough pressure to warrant cement.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Is that crazy?</span></span>

I think the main thing is you can still remove the bulkhead fairly easily if you use slip inside the bulkhead, whereas if you put something outside on the threads, then it will be a PITA to get that off if you need to remove the bulkhead for whatever reason. How big is the return pump? 1" PVC should be able to handle like 500gph no problem.

I'm running a MAG 9.5 on a 1" return.. I'd glue it up to a pipe and install a union somewhere in the event you ever want or need to take it apart.

If being a PITA is the only issue I may give it a shot. If its just clamped on...it should be easy enough to un-clamp. Dont want any leaks though.

My pump is rated for 1500 gph. I will regulate the flow with a gate valve and am going to branch it off to a refugium as well as a display fuge/planted tank. So I expect to get 6-7 times turnover in the sump/display per hour.
(Its a dual overflow)

Back