Bulkhead questions

BASSCYN;366854 wrote: <span style="font-family: Georgia"><span style="font-size: 13px">Ok...I hooked up with some standard thread/slip type bulkheads. I guess the normal procedure would be to cement 1” PVC up into this bulkhead. But I had really envisioned using pool hose or flex hose of some kind <u>over</u> this fitting to maximize the flow and reduce the number of elbows. This is all getting plumbed through the wall behind the display. I have a pretty tall sump so plumbing is going to come out of this bulkhead and go 90 deg.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia"><span style="font-size: 13px">So how come I don’t just get some pool/flex hose and <u>clamp</u> on to this threaded bulkhead? I mean…it’s just a drain right? It shouldn’t be under enough pressure to warrant cement.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Georgia"><span style="font-size: 13px">Is that crazy?</span></span>

you're right.. it's just a drain.. unless for some reason further down there is a reduction or a restriction that will promote the drain "backing up"..

every person here will give you a different way to plumb your setup... it sounds like you're learning enough about plumbing materials in order to figure out the easiest way for YOU to do what your tank warrants..

I'm going to have unions that will screw into the bulkheads just under the tank (so I can completely remove the drainage if necessary) and plumb the drain and the first 2' of my return out of 1" pvc.. then I'm going to TEE off into flexible nylon tubing to connect to the rigid return bulkhead under the tank...

the flexible supply lines for my chiller, calcium reactor and the hard line return loop will all be plumbed in rigid 1" PVC before converting into the flex

Yeah, for my return I use 3/4" PVC and barb into clear flex pipe. No problems since it was set up back in August. For the 90, I'm planning the same thing, though it will be a considerably shorter piece of flex this time!

Back