Calcium Reactor Feed

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
What are you guys using to feed water to your calcium reactor? I've read lots of people use Masterflex peristaltic pumps, but man are those pricey. My GEOs manual recommends an Aqualifter or MJ1200. Will a feed from my return work? I've plumbed my return for a manifold but never finished it. I figured that'd be an easy way to feed the reactor and adjust the effluent from the input just as you would with a peristaltic pump.

HiImSean;955848 wrote: What are you guys using to feed water to your calcium reactor? I've read lots of people use Masterflex peristaltic pumps, but man are those pricey. My GEOs manual recommends an Aqualifter or MJ1200. Will a feed from my return work? I've plumbed my return for a manifold but never finished it. I figured that'd be an easy way to feed the reactor and adjust the effluent from the input just as you would with a peristaltic pump.

Wondering the same thing here. Would be nice to be able to come out of manifold, but I guess you give up some control over a peristaltic pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

ghbrewer;955852 wrote: Wondering the same thing here. Would be nice to be able to come out of manifold, but I guess you give up some control over a peristaltic pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I would expect to have constant pressure from your return unless you have an issue with your return pump and it reduces output over time. I've found a
item.aspx

Acandoit;955855 wrote: I have been using my manifold for my MRC CR-2 but I have been told this is a no-no due to the head pressure, (will cause leaking). I am switching to a Maxi-Jet 1200.

Where would you expect a leak? The plumbing I assume?

What return pump are you using?

I think he is speaking of a leak from the reactor itself, they are not constructed to handle a lot of internal pressure (from what I hear and read online).

Manifolds in themselves are subject to changes in pressure when ever you adjust the flow in another line. If you were to change the flow going to another item, the flow for all other items would potentially be affected, at least that is my train of thought.

When mine was up and running I used one of these
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=32220&catid=956&clickid=searchresults">http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=32220&catid=956&clickid=searchresults</a>

coming off the manifold before the CA RX.

I have to say that I am disappointed in trying to get my GEO adjusted with a manifold. Too slow and the Eheim pump backs the manifold water back up. Too fast water from manifold and the geo leaks from top from screw holds all over the place. The efleuent needle wheel gets clogged often and the reactor
needs to be reset. Top gasket has to have the exact amount of silicon to properly seal. I have attempted to talk to George about but he will only email. In other words I do not have an easy solution. Minor adjustments appear to be the only way with often checks. If I did it again I would go a different direction.
I have way too many puddles and carpets to clean up.

You can use a feed off your return to run effluent, but it will require monitoring and adjustment much more often. I use MF pumps and they are basically set and forget. Changes in manifold pressure won't do much to your feed pressure, as you are using much les than you could, in most cases.

Either way, a plastic needle valve from US Plastics is a good investment if you are not using a peristaltic pump. Placing the needle valve in the effluent line vs the feed line of the reactor may also be a better job in regulating flow.

Big D;955948 wrote: I agree with Dave... needle valve is definitely the way to go, but I would use it in conjunction with an aqualifter.

D

I have never used an aqua lifter, but they are marketed by Toms as a dosing pump, not a continuous duty pump, so while an aqua lifter may work for a while, you may not see a long lifespan with one used 24/7. It is like when folks try to do the same thing with BRS dosing pumps. They are not marketed for continuous duty. That being said, they are inexpensive and replacement diaphragms can be installed.

I would personally use a power head of some type for continuous operation if you are not using a manifold in combo with the needle valve. I eliminated all that worry and maintenance and bought used MF pumps off eBay to feed my ca reactor and sulfur denitrator. I got my used MF pump off eBay that I use to feed my denitrator for $125.

All I do is replace the drip sets every few months. The main benefit to a peristaltic pump, IMO, is the consistency of the effluent rate it delivers. I have not had any clogging in the lines, leaks, or anything since I started using them about 17 months ago. Just one less thing to worry about in the system for me. Totally worth the cost for the chemical stability in the water they help provide.

My experience with a manifold. Once the line becomes obstructed slightly. Water will take the path of least resistance. With a dedicated pump it will be direct or constant pressure. Manifold was using a mag 12 and reeflo dart.

Back