Can someone please help me!

jp30338

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a fish bites a porky puffer and the puffer inflates while still in the mouth of that fish, will the puffer secrete a toxin? My snapper decided it did not like the fact that my puffer took some food from him and sooo the snapper chomped down on my puffer and held it in his mouth for a few seconds. The snapper is swimming in circles with its head toward the substrate, breathing hard and also swimming kinda erratically. It seems to be getting better but I'm kinda worried..I have no idea if porky puffers have a toxin or what??

I have no idea how to answer your question, sorry.

While you're waiting here, you can email WetWebMedia and ask them:
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman"><span style="color: #0000ff">Crew@WetWebMedia.com

</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman"><span style="color: black">They usually answer pretty fast.</span></span><span style="font-family: Times New Roman"><span style="color: #0000ff">
</span></span>

Thanks. The snapper is doing MUCH better now, just a wee bit off balance still. lol

Not sure what happened. but Ill ask Wet Web, as I am still curious about puffers and toxins. I have read mixed info. on the subject.

This is quote from wetweb.

"The toxin found in pufferfish is called Tetraodontin, which gets its name from the puffer, even though this toxic substance is found in many different species around the world. Creatures like the rough-skinned Newt, and many varieties of frog like the Harlequin frogs of central America, all have this located in the skin, thus making ingestion the only way of getting poisoned. But other creatures like the Blue-ringed Octopus, which delivers the same toxin, uses it's bite to do the job. As a special note, I would like to add in that this toxin is the main ingredient found in Voodoo Zombie Powder from Haiti. Also, this same stuff is responsible for over 150 human deaths last year in Japan. This is due to the Japanese tradition of eating of raw "fugu" pufferfish. Many people wonder why a person would risk eating something that could kill you. Is it just for the thrill, or is there another reason. People that I have talked with that have tried eating puffer, say that you gain an odd euphoric feeling after eating it. Your body gets a tingling sensation in the extremities, and you have a unique “high” sensation. Scientific reason for this; you are actually getting ultra small doses of neurotoxin, that is stunning your body and nervous system. Sort of takes the mystery and awe out of it now doesn't it…"

Wow, beats licking a frog anyday!

Thanks for the info fishscales

Sounds like you have been hanging out with Andrew Zimmern.
Also reminds me of when my scout leader told us "not to eat those" mushrooms as we did a nature walk around a cow pasture.

Back