Canister Vs sump..

dylan ringwood

Market
Reaction score
1st of all sump in future being completely new I thought canisters would be ok but nope. Huge problem with it today lost about 14 gallon of water went into a panic it's up and running again now I am paranoid for the canister doing the same thing.. well lesson earned wouldn't no unless I did it right? Well tank is running again ever piece of coral is really aggravated except the Kenya.. what a champ. Btw I'm in a apartment complex. ...... oh boy

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I was moving it to to clean up and I bumped it I'm guessing my luck one of the notches were off

This is for my 40g breeder main saltwater tank. Me being dumb and unlucky I guess

3rd floor apartment is what I was really worried bout haha

Haha that's funny. But 2nd floor didn't catch much thank goodness carpet soaked as much as it could

A few months back I had a tube pop off of my reactors and I lost about 3 gallons. Thank god my wife was home at the time to turn it off when she saw it

The issue with canisters, and reef tanks, is that most canisters were designed for freshwater planted tanks. Low flow, they are closed systems, and do not provide for much gas exchange. Keeps the CO2 higher, and pH lower. That's the exact opposite of what you want to do in a reef tank.

Also, the biological media is frequently insufficient, and over time, if you aren't careful, nitrate will build up. Again, freshwater plants would take up some of that nitrate, so it's not a big deal with freshwater applications.

Canisters are "doable" in a pinch, with the right attention paid to extra flow (ie powerheads) and keeping a close eye on the nitrate and exporting it via water changes.

Doable but not ideal, in my opinion. Also, it's a pain in the back-side to service many canisters, so people get lazy and don't clean them out as often as they should, and that results in clogging, lesser flow, and more nitrate issues with junk rotting in the media.

Jenn

You guys are making me feel better thanks. Gotta check on the 2nd floor make sure nothing was damage I think it's ok though. Fingers crossed guys..

JennM;951810 wrote: The issue with canisters, and reef tanks, is that most canisters were designed for freshwater planted tanks. Low flow, they are closed systems, and do not provide for much gas exchange. Keeps the CO2 higher, and pH lower. That's the exact opposite of what you want to do in a reef tank.

Also, the biological media is frequently insufficient, and over time, if you aren't careful, nitrate will build up. Again, freshwater plants would take up some of that nitrate, so it's not a big deal with freshwater applications.

Canisters are "doable" in a pinch, with the right attention paid to extra flow (ie powerheads) and keeping a close eye on the nitrate and exporting it via water changes.

Doable but not ideal, in my opinion. Also, it's a pain in the back-side to service many canisters, so people get lazy and don't clean them out as often as they should, and that results in clogging, lesser flow, and more nitrate issues with junk rotting in the media.

Jenn

Truthfully I didn't no this but I feel like I do good husbandry due to the fact that I'm new and want to develop good habbits. I appreciate yall and this forums. Planning on becoming a member soon. Yall are great..

Truthfully I'm heading back from the fox theater and I'm hoping that the tank is full.

Water is in the tank guys.. wohoo. Carpet seems fairly dry again.. woohoo.. torch coral seems severely pissed. Everything else seems ok

Bgcoop8784;951870 wrote: From what I can observe: most filter media is great for aerobic area where denitrifying bacteria can colonize, but lacks the anaerobic area for bacteria to colonize that removes nitrate

Seachem claims otherwise.

Ringo®;951942 wrote: Seachem claims otherwise.

I've always been really suspicious of this claim. I have no personal experience to back it up though.

Bgcoop8784;951952 wrote: Sorry, I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but I also said most filter media and not all, seeing how I haven't had to buy canister media in a long time I haven't really kept up with it.

Wasn't calling you out about it. It's just what they claim. Could be total horse manure. Most people don't have the time or equipment to test manufacturers claims, so we just have to take them at their word until some hobbyists with lab coats prove them wrong.

Alright guys.. water did not damage anything on 2nd floor it only dripped a little bit thank goodness!

Don't ever check with the 2nd floor. If there is a problem they will check with you, hopefully the carpet will be dry by then and you can play politician, deny, deny, deny. OK, back to House of Cards now.

rk4435;952631 wrote: Don't ever check with the 2nd floor. If there is a problem they will check with you, hopefully the carpet will be dry by then and you can play politician, deny, deny, deny. OK, back to House of Cards now.

That's funny but they came up.to me when it happened and told.me I had a leak like I didn't no though. She said only reason she new cause it was dripping a little bit and they re did the stucko on her floor and little chips were peeling off but everything is dry and cleaned up as far as I no and tank is looking fair again considering my alage bloom.

Back