Carbon dosing?

I think I’ve figured it out! Maybe, please give me feedback.
I was just looking over all my numbers for the past several months. My Magnesium is several hundred points below where it was when everything was thriving. I’m wondering if that could be the problem? It’s been running around 1200-1250 but a few months ago was 1550-1600.
Thoughts?
When Mag runs lower a few issues crop up- intake reduced by corals and potentially more algae formation.
So, you could be on to something and can slowly bring your Mag back up to former levels.

When Mag runs lower a few issues crop up- intake reduced by corals and potentially more algae formation.
So, you could be on to something and can slowly bring your Mag back up to former levels.
Have any suggestions on what product to use? ATI makes a magnesium supplement which would be compatible with my current regimen. I’m wondering how long this stuff stays stable/potent. We diluted it at the 4:1 ratio and at only 12ml/day per part it’ll be 2 years before we go through 4 liters. I’m thinking of switching over to all for reef but I need to look into it a bit more

Have any suggestions on what product to use? ATI makes a magnesium supplement which would be compatible with my current regimen. I’m wondering how long this stuff stays stable/potent. We diluted it at the 4:1 ratio and at only 12ml/day per part it’ll be 2 years before we go through 4 liters. I’m thinking of switching over to all for reef but I need to look into it a bit more
We use all for reef diy. But it comes with its own set of issues- there are a few on this forum who can quote you all the downsides of this regimen. For mag ati is good. We use Tropic Marin for mag.

Running 1500-1600 magnesium is very much on the high end to the point where it can start to interfere with stony coral growth.

It's discussed a little bit in this clip (set at the timestamp) so I'm not sure running at 1250 mag is hurting you compared to 1600 mag.

Running 1500-1600 magnesium is very much on the high end to the point where it can start to interfere with stony coral growth.

It's discussed a little bit in this clip (set at the timestamp) so I'm not sure running at 1250 mag is hurting you compared to 1600 mag.
I usually shoot for Mag of 1400-1450. I've only ever ran it high, like 1600+, when dealing with an algae outbreak.
Getting the Mag up to or over 1350 would be a good idea, it can be raised by 100ppm/day.

But I still feel like the Paly's dying off is adding toxins to the water. Running a good quality Activated carbon for a few days can not hurt things. 0.5 to 0.75 cup of Rox 0.8 in a reactor for three days will pull the toxins and help clear the water of pigments.

Back