Carbon Reactor

skyking

Market
Reaction score
Hello all,

The last year or so I have noticed that my yellow tangs were losing their fins. Other than that, they were healthy and eating with gusto. Couldn't figure out what the issue was. After some research, I found a small article saying that carbon dosing could affect the fins. Sure enough, I stopped the carbon side of my dual rector and the tangs fins are growing back nicely. Not only that, my clowns have started reproducing again. Just fyi.

Have a great day!

Carbon dosing and the carbon you would use in a reactor are two different things. Granular carbon definitely can cause HLLE and fin erosion in tangs. The rox carbon is generally accepted as a safe alternative to the more dusty stuff.

Carbon dosing and the carbon you would use in a reactor are two different things. Granular carbon definitely can cause HLLE and fin erosion in tangs. The rox carbon is generally accepted as a safe alternative to the more dusty stuff.
+1

Dosing vinegar, vodka or NO3PO4X is completely different to activated carbon filtration.

Hello all,

The last year or so I have noticed that my yellow tangs were losing their fins. Other than that, they were healthy and eating with gusto. Couldn't figure out what the issue was. After some research, I found a small article saying that carbon dosing could affect the fins. Sure enough, I stopped the carbon side of my dual rector and the tangs fins are growing back nicely. Not only that, my clowns have started reproducing again. Just fyi.

Have a great day!

I was having this problem. Thanks for sharing. I really really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Hello all,

Have a great day!

Do you rinse your carbon?

I agree, I noticed immediately when I changed my carbon the other day, almost within 24 hours I noticed some tissue damage with my blue tang

Yes I did. But I noticed it get significantly worse right after I changed the carbon.

Which carbon?

I been using BlackDiamond consistently for a year now with 4 tangs and no issues at all. I use to have 5 tangs but got rid of the blue regal since he was being bullied by my bellus angel.

I put 3/4 a cup every 2-3 weeks in a reactor and I flush with ro/di water until the water is free from debris and clear against a white bucket.

So, this is interesting to hear. I heard of HLLE with carbon but I understood that was attributed to the dust.

I did too but I don't want my sail fin tang that is about 4-5" long to get HLLE. Maybe the type of Carbon is what contributes to it. I was using BRS carbon.

You can absolutely safely use carbon 24/7 in your aquarium. I've designed millions of gallons of aquariums that are using carbon on a daily basis without issue whatsoever.

You want to avoid low end carbon; stick to the major brands and you'll be okay. I bought some off-brand carbon from an lfs once and it was disastrous. The store owner vouched for it, but it was complete garbage. You couldn't rinse it clean and I was lazy enough to go ahead and use it..my entire tank went black!

You have to rinse the carbon well to get rid of the dust and fines; this is where most people slack off and rush the process. And, you have to set the flow correctly in your reactor. Other than that, it's completely safe to use.

Do you guys remember back in the day the thing going around about drinking mellow yellow will shrink your nads? Well, the conditions required for that to happen are close to impossible. Pretty much the same with carbon and HLLE. It's possible, just not probable.

If someone can relate the OP article it would be nice. Not an expert here, I haven’t had issues with fish nor water quality and I’ve been running every of my tanks with an AC reactor all the time. AC quality matters a lot too, the one I’ve been using might not be the greatest, BRS Carbon, and Marineland, but haven’t had issues yet.

Back