"School of Tangs"

richards

Supporting
Reaction score
It took eight months to source aquaculture baby yellow (5) and purple tangs (5), with the concept that one could raise the baby fish together in peace. They live with a pair of random wild caught bristle tooth tangs, and a fox face, and wrasse. All introduced simultaneously. The tangs removed all trace of formerly pervasive hair and bubble algae in the first month after introduction this summer. Took almost eight months to locate the fish, lol! Unfortunately, one of the larger yellows was constantly badgered (never defended itself) and disappeared in September (ie., the 6th yellow)

Observations: they seem happy, little damage to fins, swim together at times in shoals. Two purples appear to have defective swim bladders, as their nose points up at 45 degrees, their pectoral fins paddle frantically, and they sink if the paddling stops. Several of the yellows were embarrassingly tiny and anorexic, paper thin at arrival of the shipment. Such was the result of online ordering a difficult to locate fish. And the buyer failed to recognize the problems.

Fish have grown dramatically this fall. Excluding fins, their bodies were dime to quarter size, and the few larger are now bigger than silver dollar in body. They eat fresh organic broccoli, dried sushi nori, two types of pellets, and graze the rock constantly. Occasional frozen food, mixed types.

Surprisingly, a couple of the larger yellows have developed mild lateral line disease, a 1st in my career. I can only guess it is a function of ozone entering the air intake to my skimmer, or a flaw from their aquaculture origin? Are there any recommendations on treatment?

The aquarium is described in a recent build thread under large tanks.

The fish have fun personalities, and always say hello to any visitor. Or maybe, just want to be fed, lol?

IMG_3952.jpegIMG_3957.jpegIMG_3963.jpeg

It took eight months to source aquaculture baby yellow (5) and purple tangs (5), with the concept that one could raise the baby fish together in peace. They live with a pair of random wild caught bristle tooth tangs, and a fox face, and wrasse. All introduced simultaneously. The tangs removed all trace of formerly pervasive hair and bubble algae in the first month after introduction this summer. Took almost eight months to locate the fish, lol! Unfortunately, one of the larger yellows was constantly badgered (never defended itself) and disappeared in September (ie., the 6th yellow)

Observations: they seem happy, little damage to fins, swim together at times in shoals. Two purples appear to have defective swim bladders, as their nose points up at 45 degrees, their pectoral fins paddle frantically, and they sink if the paddling stops. Several of the yellows were embarrassingly tiny and anorexic, paper thin at arrival of the shipment. Such was the result of online ordering a difficult to locate fish. And the buyer failed to recognize the problems.

Fish have grown dramatically this fall. Excluding fins, their bodies were dime to quarter size, and the few larger are now bigger than silver dollar in body. They eat fresh organic broccoli, dried sushi nori, two types of pellets, and graze the rock constantly. Occasional frozen food, mixed types.

Surprisingly, a couple of the larger yellows have developed mild lateral line disease, a 1st in my career. I can only guess it is a function of ozone entering the air intake to my skimmer, or a flaw from their aquaculture origin? Are there any recommendations on treatment?

The aquarium is described in a recent build thread under large tanks.

The fish have fun personalities, and always say hello to any visitor. Or maybe, just want to be fed, lol?

View attachment 82567View attachment 82568View attachment 82569
Are you running carbon?

Ozone wouldn't be the cause of hlle.

Surprised it took 8 months to source the fish, where did you finally pick them up from?

It was a fun retail experience locating aquaculture tangs last summer. World Wide Corals (five stars) provided the purple tangs. Biota provided the yellow tangs. My ambition has been that these ten baby tangs may grow up together without fighting. Working so far.....best wishes.

Very nice story and nice looking tank. We started a FOWLR 125 tank and my wife's goal was to have all kinds of fish in there. She really wanted to get a blue regal tang was her main goal and a yellow tang. But we lost some fish in that tank. Not from ich or velvet. Have no idea from what. So she has about given up because we have lost a lot of freshwater and saltwater fish money wise. So we doing corals now. Not in the 125 yet. But will soon. Just wanted to say thanks for the story and nice looking fish you have there.

Thank you kindly, and we all certainly learn from the school of hard knocks....best wishes. I started with a school of wrasse that have been slowly disappearing...from jumping and from age (and I believe the showy males do not have a long life span). For instance, after five months, my shoal of flasher wrasse are gone gone gone gone gone. Have started with species of coral and fish that have known success in the aquarium. During construction, I used to joke that if the SPS did not survive, I would have an amazing (and easy) soft coral tank.

Would you say it was worth it to get the tiny biota tangs?

I was shocked to learn Hawaii closed their waters to the collection of marine fish. I wanted a school of tang, and the aspiration has proven successful (so far) that the babies would grow up together without fighting (I lost one of six fish in the 2nd month after purchase). The babies were truly small, and several individuals have shown dramatic growth. Somehow it is all working out....I'm glad I drop shipped from Biota. At the time, the alternative would have been a huge price for a large tang recycled from an aquarium, or simply purchasing wild fish of many other tang species, and the variety of species is amazing. The neat thing about the Biota fish, these fish have been delighted from day one to be in an aquarium (having never been in the ocean).

Thanks for sharing. Those photos are just lovely!

IMG_0096.jpegSchool of tangs now has a young Red Sea Sohal. I’m told the Sohal will become the absolute Tang boss. No one messed with him upon entry into the tank.

I understand your concerns are real. The Sohal is small, and the last tang to be added. The Sohal is new to the existing club. I don’t think I’ll be able to add more tangs because this other tangs will be territorial of the space inside the tank.

I’m happy for this to be the experiment.

I do keep the fish well fed, with a lot of cover and hiding places.

Back