Christians' 125 Gallon re-Build!!!

salt reefer;450932 wrote: great build . keep up the great work.

Thanks Salt reefer! It has been a lot of fun! OK here is a question...I am enjoying every aspect of this hobby from plumbing, to building the stand, to tear down and re-build, etc. I think I enjoy the mechanics of this just as much as watching the fish...AM I CRAZY???

CJ

good to see that skimmer running

let me know when you're ready for a few frags

dfitzz;450960 wrote: good to see that skimmer running

let me know when you're ready for a few frags

I am waiting on a new impeller from a online merchant...the pump sure is noisy right now, but the skimmer has skimmed more in 24 hours than my Coralife skimmed in a week... LOVING the MRC-1!

Thanks!

So it is looking like my temperature swings every day are most like from 77 F to 83 F. I may need to pick up another heater, and raise the lights a tad...maybe incorporate a fan or 2 (clip-ons) in the sumps. Got a hanging kit en-route from Jenn at Imagine...now I need to find some fans :)

C

yea i moved my 250 mh up an additional 4 inches and the temp swing stoped but i also added a little turbo fan. i just got my hanging kit so im going to try this weekend to hang the lights about 12 inches from the water.

I have noticed for the past few days, the sand is starting to brown up on top like it got a dusting of brown snow, and a couple of rocks are starting to get a green algae on them. It actually looks like someone took one of my pieces of rock and dipped it into a dark green wax, and let it dry. It is about a milimeter thick, and shiny. Any ideas on what these algaes are?

C

OK here are some pics...

This rock is almost covered...Hair algae that hasnt grown the hair yet?

IMG_2028.jpg
alt="" />

A bit of the green slime on the sand...

IMG_2029.jpg
alt="" />

A bit of the brown dusting on the sand... ALSO...I am interested in buying a sand sifting fish, what would be a good one, and how will I know my system is ready?

IMG_2030.jpg
alt="" />

Lastly a picture of my collection cup after 12 hours skim....not too bad for such a low bioload in a 125 gallon eh? (one small clown one cleaner shrimp)

IMG_2031.jpg
alt="" />

Thanks for looking and all the ID/advice!

C

First 2 pics are cyano, 3rd is diatoms..

SS starfish will destroy the life in the sand and starve to death in a short ammount of time..

Thanks Doc!

Would you suggest just water changes using Salt +RODI to eradicate, or something a bit more aggressive?

CJ

Oh and I was thinking more of a sand sifting fish...when do I know that my system can handle one? (goby?)

CJ

Back