Clownfish help

maveri9720

Market
Reaction score
Hi again. We have decided to get a pair of Ocellaris clownfish for our first tank inhabitants.

I have been trying to read all I can on what I need to feed then, medicate them, acclimate them, etc so I don't kill them or impose any unneccessary stress on them.

I could use some advice from fellow reefers who have gone through this and any tips to make things easier.

Here's what I have so far:

- Drip acclimate the fish in a bucket

- Differing opinions on whether a formalin or fresh water dip are neccessary

- Some people say doing a Hyposalinity will be suffice

- Foods: Cyclop-eeze, PE Mysis Shrimp, <span style="font-family: Arial;">Ocean Nutrition Frozen Formula 1 and 2 and Selcon</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">- Some people also suggest doing Pipzine during quarantine and possibly Rid-Ich</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">So, as you can see, I have a varied amount of different treatments and food sources. </span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">Any help and clarification would be greatly appreciated.</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">Thanks.</span>

If the fish are not ill, don't treat them. If they are ill, don't buy them. Just quarantine them.

IF you have a quarantine tank set up (recommended by most), place them in there for a while. I agree...Don't medicate. There's no need unless you see a problem.

Yea, they will be going into a QT that has been set-up.

I was probably going to do a hypo on them, b/c that seems to be the most common and least stressful to them.

yes i also agree with everyone else dont treat it will just add even more stress on the lil bugers. anyways i have had a pair of maroon clown for about two years and i feed em mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, and formula one. My friend also has two pairs of maroons and one pair he has had for 13 years and she is about 8 inches long!!!!! so formula one is good i guess thats y i use it

I feed mine Theraplus A granules, followed by a mix of brine and mysis shrimp. I have recently concocted a mix of seafood (shrimp, mussels, squid, octopus), brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, and Formula 2 flakes, but I'm experiencing a HUGE algae explosion, so I'm thinking it must either be the new food or a result of the pump issue and underpowered new skimmer pump that I have.

Clowns are pigs, they can be trained to eat almost anything, even flake and pelet foods.

Are they captive raised? If so, preventative medication and treatments are not nessesary IMO. Just Q-tank them for a month...

Maroons15 wrote: i'd say its the food, cut back a lil bit and see what happens with the algae

That's the strange thing. I only feed one cube of it every four days or so. Before, I'd feed more food more often and I didn't have any problems. I fed them a few pellets and a cube of brine shrimp today. I'm going to lay off the homemade mix for a while and see if it helps.

For the record, It's a 125 with 9 fish in it, and my clean-up crew despearately needs to be replenished, as I only have a few crabs and snails left. Besudes changing the food, my next goal is to replace the cleaning crew.

Sorry, btw, I didn't mean to hi-jack this thread. Good luck with your clowns. They are really cool fish with great personalities.

yes i would get some more cleaners. There is a website called Reeftopia where i got mine for my 75 they have great deals. I got 100 blue leg hermits, 100 turbo snails, 100 Nassarious snails, 48 cerith snails, 2 emerald crabs and a free gift of 2 red mushrooms all for about $140.00 hope this helps

no problem they also are pretty good about getting it to you and actually sending what they show...

Back