Considering a salt switch

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
I am considering a switch from Tropic Marin Pro to Reef Crystals for the sole purpose of saving money.

Has anyone else done so. I'm not sure what to expect if I do so. I imagine an algae bloom might be in order.

Nonetheless, both have good reviews and reef crystals are much more affordable.

I also grab a box of reef cristals today at Pure reef. I am making a change from instant ocean and like to see the result. I have some instant ocean salt left so I am planning on mixing them together for last two water changes coming. My mag is kinda on the lower end so I hope this will help.

If you want higher Mg...switch to Kent. I think it's the highest on the market. As for Reef Crystals....I didn't see any noticeable difference between it and Instant Ocean (didn't really surprise me either). I did see a bit of a difference when I brought in Red Sea Pro. So if you're really after savings...drop all the way to Instant Ocean. You may have to dose a bit to maintain a couple of the elements but if you're doing weekly water changes, it would probably be just fine.

I switched from Red Sea pro to plain Jane IO and my tank has done great. Should have started saving that money along time ago. I took that advice from some old time reefers on here and could not be happier.

I used Tropic Marin in the beginning and eventually switched to TM Pro hoping that I would be able to quit dosing. That worked out fine. The savings to Reef Crystals would be big for me, but I will look into regular IO as well.

rk4435;989764 wrote: I used Tropic Marin in the beginning and eventually switched to TM Pro hoping that I would be able to quit dosing. That worked out fine. The savings to Reef Crystals would be big for me, but I will look into regular IO as well.

I do dose but you can use a lot of 2 part with that savings

I'm debating dropping down to IO from RC or moving up to Salinity. May also make a somewhat lateral move to one of Seachem's lower end salts. Like to support local'ish companies as much as possible and especially sponsors.

I been using IO for few years with great results. I think it's great salt. I used salinity before that for about year and half but couldn't justify the price although I can tell it's much better salt than IO. ANd Red sea Pro for about an year. I figure the diffrence of $7.00 from IO to RC must have some benefits coming from same company.

I'm still am dosing 3 part least once a week even with calcium reactor. I am planning on dosing it with RC as well.

One thing to keep in mind about savings is how much of your salt mix you will have to use to reach the salinity you prefer for your tank. If I remember correctly IO suggests a half cup per gallon for a salinity of 1.022 so you need more than that for 1.025 or 1.026. I believe it is similar with RC. With the Red Sea Pro I am using, a half cup gets me 1.025 or so (probably due to the smaller grain size). But I haven't done the math to see how much it eats into the savings by going with the I/O or RC. I just seem to remember that my 200 gallon IO salt mix always got me about 175-180g. The Red Sea comes in a 175g size and I get about 175g. The IO is still cheaper just not as cheaper as I initially thought. There is a reason so many people use IO and RC especially in large tanks.

I've been an IO user for 10 years...love it. I ran salinty for a bit and liked it, but ended going back to the basic stuff. fwiw....I'll never buy Kent...I've known too many people who have had bad batches of salt from them.

I think il is 1/2 cup to gallon for 1.025. I use io and I mix to 1/2 per and it comes out dead on????

I may be the one spouting off wrong info as I am going by my notes I still have from my first tank when I was using IO. I havent used IO in nearly 8 years and things may have changed with the mix or something? I always got 1.022-1.023 when I was using it and so did many others I know including the lfs. A level half cup and 2 tablespoons always got me to 1.025 which was the highest salinity recommended to me back then. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not bashing the salt or the savings. I used it for several years then RC.

rk4435;989739 wrote: I imagine an algae bloom might be in order.

Curious. Why?

Reef Crystals aren't as affordable as everyone thinks their directions on the box only get you a salinity of 1.021. Really, you get 180 gallons out of a 200 gallon box to make water a natural seawater density. If you price that out per gallon, it comes to only a few cents more per gallon to get Salinity.

Now, that being said, I also use RC. Salinity seemed to give me batches where the entire brute can I mixed up turned cloudy white. I suppose something was precipitating out.

I buy mine from drsfostersmith.com.
prod_display.cfm

I did want to mention that they use reef crystals at the Atlanta Aquarium in their entire system.

I have been using reef crystals for a couple years now. RSCP prior. I am not very happy with reef crystals. I have tested the last 3 batches from 3 different boxes, 3 different bags. All times the KH was 5.3-7 (hanna and red sea pro kit). Calcium was avg 420 and magnesium was avg 1380. All at 1.026 with newly calibrated refractometer using the same light source. :confused2:

Argument: Just increase the kh with 2 part alk. Great. That fixes alk, but what about the trace minerals, etc that I don't test for that companies promise.

I want a salt that I don't have to dose anything during a water change to keep balance for my sps dominate tank. I will likely be returning to RSCP. I prefer a higher kh (9-11) and IME RSCP provided great results.

Ive tried Tropic marine, TM Pro, sea chem reef salt, salinity, RC and IO.

I see zero difference between RC and IO, salinity is a bit better but too much of a hassle to get the big drums for a good price. TM was not worth it at all.

I use IO and have for the past 4 years now. I upped my water changes from 1 to 5 gallons a day and just increased my 3 part dosing rates to keep up.

I calculated how much I was spending on dosing along with the salt and it still comes out about the same and buying salinity in the barrel which I still had to dose some.

Find it amazing that no one else uses the four part ESV mix. Full control over parameters and a 10 minute mix. Ready to go, no residue, no rolling buckets around to mix up components. Consistency in mix is amazing, you could do 100% water changes.

I want a product that works, with zero hype. There are tons of products that often come out, promising the world, but are often let downs.

If the solution is continue using a salt and dosing a little bit, great. I just don't want to keep using the same brand that mixes inconsistently.

Tony, that salt on marine depot is almost triple what I am using now. What I am doing works, but aggravating. For the price, I can handle aggravation.

Back