Cooking Rocks - When Are They Done?

Good tips, thanks. I have plenty of shock and tabs, so I'll let it soak for a few more days.

Wish I could edit the original post to capture this as a best practice!

Good tips, thanks. I have plenty of shock and tabs, so I'll let it soak for a few more days.

Wish I could edit the original post to capture this as a best practice!
Don't know about Shock & Tabs. Read the label to make sure there's nothing else in there you don't want, like cyanuric acid stabilizer. The liquid pool shock/chlorine is just 10% sodium hypochlorite and water.

Don't know about Shock & Tabs. Read the label to make sure there's nothing else in there you don't want, like cyanuric acid stabilizer. The liquid pool shock/chlorine is just 10% sodium hypochlorite and water.

Calcium hypochlorite CAS:777854 3 65% TO 76% NDA OSHA HCS 2012: Ox. Sol. 2; Skin Corr. 1B; Eye Dam. 1; Acute Tox. 4 (oral); STOT SE 3: Resp. Irrit.
Sodium chloride CAS:764714 5 10% TO 30% Ingestion/OralRat LD50 • 3000 mg/kg OSHA HCS 2012: Eye Irrit. 2
Calcium hydroxide CAS:130562 0 1% TO 3% Ingestion/OralRat LD50 • 7340 mg/kg OSHA HCS 2012: Skin Corr. 1; Eye Dam. 1
Calcium chlorate CAS:10137 743 0% TO 3% NDA OSHA HCS 2012: Not Classified
Calcium carbonate CAS:471341 1% TO 3% Ingestion/OralRat LD50 • 6450 mg/kg OSHA HCS 2012: Eye Irrit. 2
Calcium chloride CAS:10043 524 0.1% Ingestion/OralRat LD50 • 1 g/kg OSHA HCS 2012: Eye Irrit. 2; Acute Tox. 4 (oral)

Here's the SDS

Calcium hypochlorite CAS:777854 3 65% TO 76% NDA OSHA HCS 2012: Ox. Sol. 2; Skin Corr. 1B; Eye Dam. 1; Acute Tox. 4 (oral); STOT SE 3: Resp. Irrit.
Sodium chloride CAS:764714 5 10% TO 30% Ingestion/OralRat LD50 • 3000 mg/kg OSHA HCS 2012: Eye Irrit. 2
Calcium hydroxide CAS:130562 0 1% TO 3% Ingestion/OralRat LD50 • 7340 mg/kg OSHA HCS 2012: Skin Corr. 1; Eye Dam. 1
Calcium chlorate CAS:10137 743 0% TO 3% NDA OSHA HCS 2012: Not Classified
Calcium carbonate CAS:471341 1% TO 3% Ingestion/OralRat LD50 • 6450 mg/kg OSHA HCS 2012: Eye Irrit. 2
Calcium chloride CAS:10043 524 0.1% Ingestion/OralRat LD50 • 1 g/kg OSHA HCS 2012: Eye Irrit. 2; Acute Tox. 4 (oral)

Here's the SDS

On the surface I don't see anything bad but @ichthyoid would be better to give a final judgement.

If you want to use it, I would stick to this-
“The liquid pool shock/chlorine is just 10% sodium hypochlorite and water.”

Reason being, I know that sodium thiosulfate, a dechlorinator we all commonly use, will neutralize it.

Last week I took em out of the bleach, rinsed em, and did the citric bath for about an hour... so nasty. Did a RODI rinse and soaked overnight.

Next day, did a water change, and they've been a bucket circulating with the dirty water, with a small powerhead and a couple bits of rubble from my DT. Also dosed some bacteria.

I ghost fed with my regular frozen and never was able to measure an ammonia spike over the last 5 days, but already have a bit of nitrate. I assume this isn't cycled yet... but either way I'm nervous to drop these into my tank. I *need* to get these dang xenia out though... they're spreading even faster now that they have more light. Oof.

The rock looked nice and clean with everyone's tips, so thanks!

So super gross morning. Opened the bucket and it smelled like the worst rotten eggs ever. Not sure if the powerhead just wasn't moving the water enough or what, but wow what a stank.

I rinsed the rock with tap water - I don't have enough RODI to get rid of that stank. The rocks turned this weird dark gray bluish color (phone camera doesn't really show the blue). What in the world happened here?

Do I need to start over fresh and cook em again?

IMG_6763.jpeg

Not enough water movement - O2 level got too low.

When I ran a de-nitrator the same thing would happen if I had the flow too low.

I came home one day and about fell over when I walked in the door - the entire downstairs of the house smelled like the worst skimmate ever.

I would change out the water, up the flow and see what happens in a couple days.

FWIW - I believe if you can't measure ammonia or nitrite but you can measure nitrate - you're cycled.

I would still change out the water, up the flow & repeat your test once more before using.

Reactions: bzb
Exactly - worst skimmate ever is accurate. Very similar. Kids even came downstairs and said "What is that AWFUL smell?!"

Luckily wifey is at work, or some of yall would be coming to collect my things due to my untimely death.

No concern with the gray stuff all over the rocks? Might that be sulfate deposits? Or you think after circulating with stronger powerhead will eliminate that?

My guess - and that's what it is - is that is bacteria and will go away once the environment is O2 rich for a day or 2.

Does it rinse off when sprayed with a little pressure?

My room started to smell as well so i did a water change on the rock and added a bag of carbon. No more smell! ut I dont have the black all over my rock.

My guess - and that's what it is - is that is bacteria and will go away once the environment is O2 rich for a day or 2.

Sort of. Turned the rinse water gray, but wasn't noticeably different on the rock surface.

Rotten egg smell is Hydrogen Sulfide from anaerobic bacteria. Like Leo said, this is from lack of water movement and no oxygen. Cycling rock should not be in a container with a lid on it that seals it up. Hydrogen Sulfide is toxic. The rock doesn't need to be cooked again but it does need to be rinsed.

When you add a bottle of bacteria you're basically instant cycling but the rock doesn't have enough of the colonies on it yet, that takes time and is best done in the aquarium. You can do it in other containers but without livestock there may not be enough ammonia to keep the bacteria going so you have to add it daily once you see Zero ammonia and nitrite. The amount to add can be found on Dr Tim's site but you want enough to get 2ppm.

Thanks yall.

I just checked and feel like the water is moving enough, but it's probably because I sealed the lid too tight. Gonna try aiming it at the surface and just laying the lid on top instead of sealing it.

I'm ghost feeding with the same frozen that goes into the tank, so I figured that's what turned foul... but it's likely anaerobic due to the seal.

Thanks yall.

I just checked and feel like the water is moving enough, but it's probably because I sealed the lid too tight. Gonna try aiming it at the surface and just laying the lid on top instead of sealing it.

I'm ghost feeding with the same frozen that goes into the tank, so I figured that's what turned foul... but it's likely anaerobic due to the seal.
You don't need or want to ghost feed daily. Once or twice a week is fine.

You win the cookie of the day. Filled with fresh saltwater instead of using water change and threw in a bigger powerhead to agitate the surface. The rocks are white again this morning. Crazy.

Back