Copper-resistant Ich

Update:
*Another freshwater dip (no copper). He really doesn’t the freshwater.
*TTM to new tank, 1.014 SG, without copper as it seemingly wasn’t having any effect.
*Dosed new qt with metro, in addition to feeding metro and focus

There are still plenty of cysts. I will continue observation.

For the first time ever, he’s not doing well. Still breathing, but it doesn’t look good. Been feeding Metro and Focus for the past couple days.
D914F946-3E28-43E9-9420-BD4EFE61864E.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: bzb
This breaks my heart :( Are you feeding them as much as possible? That's how I kicked ich a few months ago.

This breaks my heart :( Are you feeding them as much as possible? That's how I kicked ich a few months ago.
Although, this looks like it could be more than one problem. How did the bowels look? I know it sounds silly but you can tell a lot. He could have internal parasites that are contributing to a weakened immune system on top of the flukes/ich/velvet or whatever else that is. I'd try some garlic soaked anti-parasite food and see how he does with that.

It took him about 2-3 weeks to start eating, but then he was eating like a champ. His bowels showed no signs of parasites... but I imagine that 5-6 weeks of copper that ranged from 1.5 to 6x therapeutic levels would have killed most of everything. But this darn external parasite, which seems like ich, never went away... even after a couple weeks of TTM every other day.

It took him about 2-3 weeks to start eating, but then he was eating like a champ. His bowels showed no signs of parasites... but I imagine that 5-6 weeks of copper that ranged from 1.5 to 6x therapeutic levels would have killed most of everything. But this darn external parasite, which seems like ich, never went away... even after a couple weeks of TTM every other day.
That's rough stuff. I hope you're not patient zero for some new aquarium plague :p In all seriousness tho, I wish you the best man. That's gotta be brutal.

Unfortunately, he passed away last night.

In retrospect, I wish I hadn't reduced the copper. But I don’t blame myself too much as copper was far above therapeutic levels for so long, and was at risk of killing the fish. It was a very unusual scenario in regards to copper and TTM not working. While it’s possible that it was an unusual strain; it is more likely that it is my fault. (Perhaps, for example, when I sanitized the tank and equipment between transfers, I should have used bleach instead of vinegar.)

All day yesterday was terrible for me and the wife as we were worried for him. I put a towel over half of his tank to help reduce his stress by giving him a dark hiding place. Still, I’m thankful that he is no longer suffering.

Rest In Peace little buddy

Man, I'm sorry to hear that.

Have you tried to do a closer inspection the parasites and look in it's gills?
I'm thinking about getting a microscope for just this purpose.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that.

Have you tried to do a closer inspection the parasites and look in it's gills?
I'm thinking about getting a microscope for just this purpose.

Thank you all. I thought about it, but I have a flight shortly. In the future, I will definitely have a microscope on hand as well.

It really looked like ich; and he was healthy and eating well with the exception of the cysts. I think with the hundreds of cases I’ve seen, I can ID many pests visually, even at the first onset of symptoms. But i agree, it would have been nice to confirm with a microscope.

Thank you all. I thought about it, but I have a flight shortly. In the future, I will definitely have a microscope on hand as well.

It really looked like ich; and he was healthy and eating well with the exception of the cysts. I think with the hundreds of cases I’ve seen, I can ID many pests visually, even at the first onset of symptoms. But i agree, it would have been nice to confirm with a microscope.

Hope you have a good flight and enjoy the holidays. You going back to Chitown?

Hope you have a good flight and enjoy the holidays. You going back to Chitown?

Actually, my parents have 2 houses in the Colorado mountains (Mt. Created Butte). So we usually go there for Christmas and New Years; it’s an amazing small town and resort. Thanks. We will!

Back