Coquina clams

winchester101

Reaction score
So while on vacation at the beach this past week i discovered these tiny little clams in the surf. I was wondering if anyone here has ever heard of or tried to raise them in a home aquarium? I have done a little research and it appears the clams are more of a temperate invert than tropical but the water temp at the beach was 81 which is warmer than my aquarium. They are cool little creatures but of course they may not be fit for aquaria. Thoughts and suggestions welcomed.

Regards,

Lee

I haven't tried to raise them myself, but I don't see why they wouldn't make it- They eat ditritus and phytoplankton... Both of which I have in my tank :) I don't know if the waves or constant motion is necessary or just the way they catch most of their food.

When we were in Panama City, I debated bringing a few home and trying them out.. but I didn't since we weren't going to make it home for 6+ hours..

My general rule with bringing things home from the ocean is: don't. You don't know what kind of diseases and pollution you might carry home from the beach, they're actually really dirty places :p. Just my 2 cents.

tebriel;202258 wrote: My general rule with bringing things home from the ocean is: don't.
I echo this sentiment. Even quarantining them really does nothing since they probably either survived whatever pathogens they carry or are immune.

i agree that adding a unknown factor to a closed environment can upset the balance. Thanks for the the thoughts.

Regards,

Lee

Back