Coral Banded Shrimp Problem

cdub

Market
Reaction score
I recently added a pair of coral banded shrimp to my 95 gal tank. Today I noticed that my 2'' flasher wrasse has gone missing and I can only assume it was the CBS. I'm thinking about moving him to the sump, but i'm curious how much damage his claws will inflict on someones hand.

make sure your fish did not jump out. My CBS nipped me one time. It surprised me more than anything. Maybe he did not get a good hold. It will only hurt awhile. I have had him for a year and a half. Except with an incident with a blood shrimp, ( one morning he was dining on the BS dismembered body) he has never killed anything. I do realize there are some out there with a different disposition.

he definitely didn't jump out, i repositioned my rock today and found him underneath some. he was about half dead but definitely had a large indentation across his body that looked like a claw had made it.

In a 95 gallon with two coral banded shrimp, I'd normally doubt that that they got a hold of the wrasse, but the indentation you mention puts them at the head of the suspects list...

When I had *one*, it got pretty aggressive with the fish, mipping at them and such (I think he actually nabbed one or two) but with two, they were constantly fighting each other and didn't have the energy (or the limbs) to go after the fishes...

At the same time, I have heard that their personalities range from downright nasty to gentle and eating out of your hand.

i removed them to my sump just to be safe, if the mandarin disappeared like the wrasse then the gf would be highly upset!

Back