DC-12000 Installation Questiom

elfloyd

Supporting
Reaction score
I am installing a DC-12000 externally. It seems the threaded nipples may have a bit of a tapper to them. Hand tight only catches 2, maybe 3 threads. I also get a small drip of a leak without the pump running, so it would probably be worse under pressure.

Teflon tape dosen't help and I'm concerned about forcing the fitting any further. I haven't tried petroleum jelly yet.

Anyone else experience this?

Talk to BCavalli....his is running just fine installed externally using 1 1/2" threaded PVC and teflon tape. I've heard the threads are metric but he didn't have an issue.

Actually Jeff sorry Im running internally. But, you can pickup metric fittings online there is a bunch if sources and maybe some local. Maybe someone else might have a source.

You might want to read all the specs. On this pump, I'm pretty sure it's an internally run pump only!

MYREEFCLUB0070;983901 wrote: You might want to read all the specs. On this pump, I'm pretty sure it's an internally run pump only!

It is not. Jebao specifically has told me that it is internal or external. I asked Reef Breeders the same question and they replied the same. They prefer that you run it internally and they prefer that if you run it external that you use hoses with their hose bibs.

porpoiseaquatics;983904 wrote: It is not. Jebao specifically has told me that it is internal or external. I asked Reef Breeders the same question and they replied the same. They prefer that you run it internally and they prefer that if you run it external that you use hoses with their hose bibs.

Must just be me, I like to eliminate every possible scenario of any issues.
Sooner or later every thing leaks, If it leaks in the water, no harm.
Use the stock tube adapters, flex tube and hand tighten to the pump.

The manual that came with the pump said two things that surprised me.
1. Internal pump only
2. Freshwater use only

Thanks for everyone's response. Still trying to determine if anyone else has had a problem getting a fitting on the male nipple. Doesn't matter if it's internal or external... anyone except those using the barbed connections would need to use a fitting.

Using the barb connection is not a option for me due to space limitations. (And the barbed connection fits very loosely in the 1 1/2" tubing.)

And believe me... I've fully researched the internal/external argument... a lot of people are using the pump externally.

My real question is how big of a hammer do I use to get the results I want!

Seth The Wine Guy;983913 wrote: The manual that came with the pump said two things that surprised me.
1. Internal pump only
2. Freshwater use only

I know and I questioned them about that almost a year ago. Their response was that it limited their liability.

elFloyd;983915 wrote: Thanks for everyone's response. Still trying to determine if anyone else has had a problem getting a fitting on the male nipple. Doesn't matter if it's internal or external... anyone except those using the barbed connections would need to use a fitting.

Using the barb connection is not a option for me due to space limitations. (And the barbed connection fits very loosely in the 1 1/2" tubing.)

And believe me... I've fully researched the internal/external argument... a lot of people are using the pump externally.

My real question is how big of a hammer do I use to get the results I want!

It fits loosely even with the largest graduation? I've not tried it but it looked like it would fit almost any size tube up to probably 1 1/4".

I'll check to make sure but, I think plumbing fitting with nptf thread specs. Will work.
Just a different thread pitch on the fitting.

porpoiseaquatics;983920 wrote: It fits loosely even with the largest graduation? I've not tried it but it looked like it would fit <span style="color: DarkRed">almost any size tube up to probably 1 1/4"</span>.

I would need to use 1 1/2" tubing.

MYREEFCLUB0070;983925 wrote: I'll check to make sure but, I think plumbing fitting with nptf thread specs. Will work.
Just a different thread pitch on the fitting.

Are you sure about the "NPTF" part? I can't find anything related to that. NPT is a standard that we use here in the US.

I believe what we may have are BSP threads. BSP is FAR more common in the world than our NPT. The difference between the two is 5 degrees in the taper of the thread. This would explain why it's harder to thread. I've asked Reef Breeders for a confirmation.

Even though I'm using it internally I attached mine to a threaded 1.5" on the one end and a slip on 1.5" on the other end that goes to a 1"reducer then 1" pipe the rest of the way. I used plumbers tape on the threads. I don't have any leaks or drips. I'll put up a picture.

Brett...all of your connections appear to be under water so how do you know you don't have any leaks at the inlet and outlet of the DC pump?

Bcavalli;983977 wrote: Even though I'm using it internally I attached mine to a threaded 1.5" on the one end and a slip on 1.5" on the other end that goes to a 1"reducer then 1" pipe the rest of the way. I used plumbers tape on the threads. I don't have any leaks or drips. I'll put up a picture.

I am using a 1.5 threaded fitting on the input. I can only get the fitting onto the first 2 or 3 threads without using force more than "hand tight". Were you able to get the fitting on further without fear of breaking the plastic inlet?

porpoiseaquatics;983979 wrote: Brett...all of your connections appear to be under water so how do you know you don't have any leaks at the inlet and outlet of the DC pump?

The way its setup, its an air tight connection with the 90 and another 90 turned down to the bottom of the sump on the pump input and I have my drain line tied in via valves. When Im doing a water change I drain all but an inch out of the dump. When I do that the connections are drip free. I've checked many times, but not that a leak would even matter in my situation. So I cant say for certainty that an external connection would be 100% leak free with the way I have it setup.

elFloyd;983981 wrote: I am using a 1.5 threaded fitting on the input. I can only get the fitting onto the first 2 or 3 threads without using force more than "hand tight". Were you able to get the fitting on further without fear of breaking the plastic inlet?

For some reason mine hand tightened right up. I purchased the 1.25 threaded / slip at Lowe's. Maybe there is a slight tolerance difference between manufacturers. Of course, I'm speculating but who knows. I am definitely not a plumber.

Back