DC-12000 Installation Questiom

Bcavalli;984097 wrote: For some reason mine hand tightened right up. I purchased the 1.25 threaded / slip at Lowe's. Maybe there is a slight tolerance difference between manufacturers. Of course, I'm speculating but who knows. I am definitely not a plumber.

Ran into the same thing with the JBJ chiller. Wanted to hard plumb it. Turns out the 1.25" fits and it doesn't really grab thread until the end but it seems to be very tight at that point. Haven't hooked it up yet but I can't imagine it being an issue with Teflon tape.

tonymission;984104 wrote: Ran into the same thing with the JBJ chiller. Wanted to hard plumb it. Turns out the 1.25" fits and it doesn't really grab thread until the end but it seems to be very tight at that point. Haven't hooked it up yet but I can't imagine it being an issue with Teflon tape.

1.25"?? Are you sure?? I put 1.5" on it this afternoon and it threads for 3 or 4 turns. I can't imagine that 1.25 would thread at all. Guys, check those numbers just to be sure but I'm doubting them.

porpoiseaquatics;984130 wrote: Ah ok....I missed that part.

Why would some idiot be talking about a chiller in this thread though?! Can't blame you for missing it. Ha

porpoiseaquatics;984126 wrote: 1.25"?? Are you sure?? I put 1.5" on it this afternoon and it threads for 3 or 4 turns. I can't imagine that 1.25 would thread at all. Guys, check those numbers just to be sure but I'm doubting them.

Jeff your right its 1.5" not 1.25. Sorry about the mistake.

The fitting problem is resolved! Used Teflon tape and a little extra elbow grease to twist the fitting on.

When I first noticed the fittings leaking, I also noticed small drips coming from the volute. I though this was water from the output fittings so didn't pay much attention. Now that the fittings are tight and not leaking I still have drips coming through the volute.

There is a hairline crack on the outside of the volute where it fits against the pump, and a hairline crack on the interior of the volute. I can feel the interior crack with my finger nail. The cracks do not line up... but I think water has found a path between the cracks through a cavity in the volute.

I also get a drip where the volute and pump connect but this may also be from the cracks.

I am trying a temporary fix with a thin coat of silicon over the interior crack, and a thin coat of petroleum jelly on the o-ring.

Pump2_zps4e5ff547.jpg
alt="" /></a>

PumpOne_zps07e05a91.jpg
alt="" /></a>

I give you respect for having the marbles to feel comfortable running that pump externally. Hairline fractures are only going to get worse. And its a risk Im not willing to take personally. Im also curious what the long term viability of an internal pump used externally will be. An important factor with internals is the water body accepting the heat and cooling the pump.

Kudos for giant brass marbles, my friend.

Well... I am trying a temporary fix and will see if Reefbreeders will honor a warranty. Both Jebao and Reefbreeders confirmed the pump can be used externally.

elFloyd;984935 wrote: Well... I am trying a temporary fix and will see if Reefbreeders will honor a warranty. Both Jebao and Reefbreeders confirmed the pump can be used externally.

Yeah, I dont know anything about those pumps. I was just going off what was said in this thread. On a similar not, if your threading heavily (with force), its not uncommon for female pieces to split from that force. Especially if the threads are wrong or missing. It seems like your cracks are not on the volute where you're threading, and it's just manufacture defect, but if threading is that complicated and the volute is that sensitive, Id watch the female end of what you threaded too.

Larry...the problem you have with the volute is the same one another member had with their unit from a different buy. It's obviously a quality issue with the volutes.

Seth The Wine Guy;983913 wrote: The manual that came with the pump said two things that surprised me.
1. Internal pump only
2. Freshwater use only

The metal c-clip holding the impeller on worries me. Has anyone had any rust yet?

fierogtdude;984992 wrote: The metal c-clip holding the impeller on worries me. Has anyone had any rust yet?

That's interesting because when I took mine apart, there was no clip. The impeller was friction fit and held in place by the magnetic force, just like the old Aquaclear 802 powerheads were (no shaft)

fierogtdude;985006 wrote: IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/maz0pl.jpg[/IMG]

Yep...sure enough. I just looked at my new one. I don't believe the original release had these clips.

All I can say is that Reef Breeders states they've had no failures on these pumps. That's really all I can go by and they've not been out long enough with us for anyone to have had an issue.

porpoiseaquatics;984965 wrote: Absolutely! Just let Logan at Reefbreeders know. He may want the pictures you posted here. Everybody's purchases were made in your real name.

Talked to Reefbreeders.... said to put a dab of abs glue on each of the cracks. If that doesn't fix the leak he'll send a new part.

Back