Disaster strikes!

miami dolfan

Market
Reaction score
I left to DC on a band trip on Wednesday and left my daughter in charge of the dogs and fish. She would check in with me every day to know all is well. On the day she has to be away for more than 8 hours due to her job, my pump shuts down and all fish are dead. I lost all my tangs, my 3 mandarins, my yellow bar jacks, a 6 line wrasse, my scooter blennies, 2 pajama cardinals, 2 bangaii cardinals, my African midas blenny and my filefish. I have no words to express how I feel right now. So, since I promised myself if this happened again I would sell my tank, I now have a 288 gal tank with built in cabinet and entire setup and accessories for sale. I can't start over anytime soon, just too miserable. I have over 12K invested into it so I would like to ask for half of that. Majorally bumming right now. I will list pics and details when I get back into town.

Break your promise to yourself, get back on the horse, and restart your reef.

I agree with Dave and Ralph. Give it a little time before you make that decision.

So sorry you are going through this.

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

I'm sorry to hear that, it was a fear of mine for a while as well. When Ifirst got laid off and got the panic under control I thought it will be good to spend time with the family.... and the tank, boy that didn't turn out anything like what I thought. I hate to say it but I'm with the other two ,it sucks but might be a opportunity to try different. There's got to be something that you wanted but couldn't get because of the stocking that you had.

oh... how is the daughter taking it, she's got to be bummed that it happened on her watch.

:( I'm sorry for your losses.

Discouraged would be an understatement.

Why is it that crap always happens the moment nobody is watching?

Jenn

It never fails....and the million questions. Why did the pump stop if now it's working fine? Why did it happen while I was away? Why did it have to happen on the day my daughter is away all day...and so on. It just sucks so bad because I had all the fish I ever wanted, especially the variety of tanks I had together, and now they're gone. Thanks all for the encouragement. I will think it through but I really don't know what to do right now.

We are sorry for your loss! Orlando don't make that decision now, give yourself some time, let your tank run with saltwater and rock for a few months. Holley & Hal

I do have a small tad of good news. The nems are still alive along with the urchins and the sole survivors of the fish were 1 snowflake clown, 1 pajama cardinal and my filefish. I am really really down because my tangs were awesome. I was happy with them and the fact that I had so many and was able to keep them together with no issues. This was difficult to do. To have to start all over again will suck. Tangs that I had for those who didn't know were a blonde naso, purple, red sea sailfin, tomini, yellow belly regal, clown, chevron, Achilles and powder blue. Miss watching them and it's only been a day. Knowing that they won't be there when I return is tough.

That REALLY sucks, I am sorry to hear about the loss of livestock. It is amazing how disaster has a tendency to strike when we are away.

I had a system crash while I was incapacitated last year and lost everything. My initial thought was to break down the tank and just get out.... I eventually decided to take a couple of months off and then decide what to do. After taking a break, I came to really miss the tank and decided to reboot the system and start over. Looking back, I am VERY happy that I did not quit the hobby.

Whatever you decided to do, I am sorry for the loss. Hang in there!

Sorry for your loss!

I had something similar happen in March 2013. I wasn't lucky enough to save anything. It happened overnight one night. I was actually between tanks and things had been doing well in holding. I was miserable...it's the closest I've ever come to getting completely out of the hobby. After a few days, what I found was that it made me more determined than ever to get it right and I went right back at it even harder than before. Better equipment, more engaged, etc. It takes time to heal....allow yourself the time to grieve and heal.

So very sorry to hear about your loss. I can't even imagine all those beautiful tangs. Everyone above is right, allow yourself to grieve. Make a decision in a few months when you aren't so emotional.
Again, sorry.

I am so sorry for your loss. Do you by chance have a controller on tank?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Im so sry man i don't have very many fish i actually only have four and I'd still be very upset but I'd gladly offer you my cardinal for free man hes a very good size and a great tank mate i love him but I can tell you'd be a great owner so if you want him just let me know man! And again im so sorry for all that happening to you thats not a way anyone should come home!

And I don't know if you lost any coral but i do know i could spare a few zoa frags like hornets and tubbs blues!

Why is everyone so sorry (although it does indeed suck)? But...would da vinci care if one of his paintins/drawings were ruined?...Hell no! He would make another one and improve on his idea..Look at it as another way to "reinvent" something..sometimes catastrophe can be the catalyst you need for a change. Not that you needed it..but...why not? Re-immerse yourself in it man!

Back