DIY Chiller?

way to take a joke man....yeesh lighten up its just the internet

oh for the love of...its like talking to an emo wall.

would a mod please delete this and the last 4 posts before he pops a blood vessel.

Don't worry.. Incase they don't happen to see it I reported it so they will be able to get to it quicker..

Mod or not.. Calling people on things to try and defuse a situation before it arises is a job for ALL of us.. Not just mods.. They have there hands full and can't keep a check on all threads all he time.. The main way to keep things on track if you have a dispute with someone is to take it to PM and not argue in public.. It makes people that look from the outside in think we bicker and act like children..

oh i was just poking fun at him even if he cant see it, but thanks for the help.

and wait...we do bicker and act like children...where have you been?

hmm, mods maybe dont delete this...how about splitting it into a new thread? because this is funny!

OK everyone. Personal attacks in any way, shape or form will not be tolerated and are against Forum Rules. Those posts not pertinent to the topic at hand have been deleted or edited. Play nice please. Further profanity or personal attacks will be dealt with via a temporary ban and closing of this thread.

I am opening this up now to civil discussion.
Dave

swfk44;428640 wrote: i was trying to inject abit of humor

Don't worry about it. Since I deleted all the adversarial remarks, your post wasn't relevant any more.

EnderG60;428567 wrote: Im not saying there are not compressors that will work, just not off your typical small refridgerator.

Errr, yes they will.. end of story. What proof are you offering other than "they just wont work"? The duty cycle of a chiller is not going to differ that greatly from a refrigerator. Chillers don't run 24/7 if you didn't notice. The particular chiller I built using approx 1/8th HP compressor, I estimate could handle 150w/200w worth of heat. Show me a retail unit that size that can match the performance. Not going to happen...

EnderG60;428567 wrote: The system capacity is not high enough, and the end cost is not low enough for your average person to make it worth while.

Phase change system capacity is not calculated on compressor size alone, if your condensor is capable of dissipating the heat efficiently, this amplifies the cooling capabilities immensely.

EnderG60;428567 wrote:
P.S. if your computer is worth more then your fish tank your doing it wrong.
If you didn't notice my tank is a nano, which cost me about $200 all up. So mabye you are doing something wrong?

To give you some size perspective, here it is next to my filing cabinet. As you can see, it's slightly wider than a video player & probably a little bit longer. I think that this unit could handle up to 75Gallon without to much trouble.
zix0t5.jpg
alt="" />
2r41pwx.jpg
alt="" />

To the OP: Yes it can be done with a little knowledge & some DIY handywork :thumbs: If you need some tips/help just pm me :D

C-BuZz

WOW,when I asked about this topic,I didn't realize it would be such a big deal,ehhh thanks for the input !?!?!?
Acroholic;428607 wrote: OK everyone. Personal attacks in any way, shape or form will not be tolerated and are against Forum Rules. Those posts not pertinent to the topic at hand have been deleted or edited. Play nice please. Further profanity or personal attacks will be dealt with via a temporary ban and closing of this thread.

I am opening this up now to civil discussion.
Dave

I think that the OP was mainly asking about using a dorm frig intack and running the tubing thru the frig like has been tried several times without alot of success. C-Buzz's method seems to work very well for him.!!!
Also remember that if you can control the humidity in the room or area ,evaporation cooling is one of the most efficient methods for cooling. Every gallon of water evaporated equates to approximately 8,000 BTU. And a chiller in the room is going to place the heat it removes from the tank and place it back in the room.

C-BuZz;428712 wrote: Errr, yes they will.. end of story. What proof are you offering other than "they just wont work"? The duty cycle of a chiller is not going to differ that greatly from a refrigerator. Chillers don't run 24/7 if you didn't notice. The particular chiller I built using approx 1/8th HP compressor, I estimate could handle 150w/200w worth of heat. Show me a retail unit that size that can match the performance. Not going to happen...

Phase change system capacity is not calculated on compressor size alone, if your condensor is capable of dissipating the heat efficiently, this amplifies the cooling capabilities immensely.

If you didn't notice my tank is a nano, which cost me about $200 all up. So mabye you are doing something wrong?

To give you some size perspective, here it is next to my filing cabinet. As you can see, it's slightly wider than a video player & probably a little bit longer. I think that this unit could handle up to 75Gallon without to much trouble.
zix0t5.jpg
alt="" />
2r41pwx.jpg
alt="" />

To the OP: Yes it can be done with a little knowledge & some DIY handywork :thumbs: If you need some tips/help just pm me :D

C-BuZz

I can't see the most important part of this design, but based on your comments here I'm going to assume you did not use a titanium coil. In which case you probably dunked your evaporater in the insulated vessel in the back? Being that it uses copper as the metal of choice, your design would kill a reef tank in a matter of days.

If you used a titanium coil, then you'd know that it is much cheaper to buy a commercially available unit.

By the way, to weld on the titanium coil, you use a tig welder.

grouper therapy;428760 wrote: ..Also remember that if you can control the humidity in the room or area ,evaporation cooling is one of the most efficient methods for cooling. Every gallon of water evaporated equates to approximately 8,000 BTU. And a chiller in the room is going to place the heat it removes from the tank and place it back in the room.

Yep! A small fridge puts out what..maybe 200 BTU?

jason sartain;420985 wrote: OK but do I really need to worry about it with my temp at 79-80 all the time?

The answer would be no... I wouldnt sweat it. :up:

Skriz;428773 wrote: I can't see the most important part of this design, but based on your comments here I'm going to assume you did not use a titanium coil. In which case you probably dunked your evaporater in the insulated vessel in the back? Being that it uses copper as the metal of choice, your design would kill a reef tank in a matter of days.

If you used a titanium coil, then you'd know that it is much cheaper to buy a commercially available unit.

By the way, to weld on the titanium coil, you use a tig welder.

Why would I use titanium? Why not just run the plastic tubes coiled inside a tub of freezing water?

None of the water in the Resorvior which the evaporator is submerged in is pumped into the tank. It's just a tub of freezing water. Takes around 20min for the unit to freeze the entire tub into a big iceblock if the pump is not on.

C-BuZz

jason sartain;428781 wrote: FInally!!LOL Thanks James

hhhhheeeeeyyyyyyy wait a minute, not only did i warn you about what you post might turn into, i answered you ? back at post #17, i the words of a favorite of mine rodney Dangerfield "i don't get no respect" :yes:

swfk44;428905 wrote: hhhhheeeeeyyyyyyy wait a minute, not only did i warn you about what you post might turn into, i answered you ? back at post #17, i the words of a favorite of mine rodney Dangerfield "i don't get no respect" :yes:

You have to keep answers short and to the point with Electricians....we get confused easily:confused2:

James S.;428907 wrote: You have to keep answers short and to the point with Electricians....we get confused easily:confused2:

touch black and white same time bad bad

Sorry Rodney LOL I guess I forgot about your post after reading all the other stuff?
swfk44;428905 wrote: hhhhheeeeeyyyyyyy wait a minute, not only did i warn you about what you post might turn into, i answered you ? back at post #17, i the words of a favorite of mine rodney Dangerfield "i don't get no respect" :yes:

Back