DIY Phosphate or Carbon Reactor

ok...three posts in a row.....now i'm just being a thread hog...but I just thought of something else.....

ideally, you could connect three (or four or however much media you have) of these gadgets together and with a strong enough powerhead/pump you could push the water through them.......

the more I think about this the more I want to try it....it sounds so much asier to change the media in something like this than to change media in a filter bag....and less bulk in the sump because you can keep the housing outside the sump......

I'd have one with carbon, one with phosguard, and one with????? well, you get the idea....

I'm also thinking you can pull this little project of with PVC tubing, some screw on end caps, and some vinyl tubing....only drawback is that you wouldn't be able to see your media......

You could even use some Union connectors for easier access but they are a bit more exspensive then just the screw on endcaps.

Yep :thumbs: Perfect... keep it coming. I thought of the PVC as well. It would work great but like you already said you wont be able to see inside. I had this laying around extra not being used and it already had the little plastic discs of the correct size in there so it made it super easy to do. Multiple units in a row would work well. :)

Ok... I stopped by Lowes on the way home from work on Thursday and I found the fittings in about 2 minutes. It took an additional 2 minutes to wrap the teflon tape around the fittings and screw them into the ends.
What you are looking for are "Nylon Hose Barb to MIP Elbow" the size that I bought: 3/8" x 1/4" This will allow me to connect the DIY Reactor to standard hose to a small powerhead.
I will try and post some pictures and order a powerhead soon. :)

Here is my pitch on the idea. Spend $10-$20 and use an old canister filter. It has media baskets that you can load up, is completely sealed and is setup to run water throught the containter without clogging up. I just remove the impellor and don't plug it in. Plus when you are ready to change out the media you just shut the plumbing off, remove the lid and replace the media. Come back, put the lid on and start it back up again. No fuss and no mess.

Back