DIY stand and canopy

grouper therapy

Supporting
Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread.I don't profess to be a woodworking guru but I do have a few years experience. What I will do is offer my knowledge of woodworking and my shop for any who want to build their own stand or canopy or both or even modify their present one. You would need to supply your own materials . I have all the tools needed to build and finish. If we have enough interested people I can probably get a volume discount on the materials. Anyone interested can post here and I will add you to a list. Then we can all decide on a date or dates to meet here.

I would be interested in building a canopy. It would have to be on a weekend I don't work.

I'd bring pics of the stand to make the woodwork match and basic requirements like vent in the top fans to mount in the back.

I'm in if it's on a Sunday. I am proficient enough at woodworking to build either piece, but I'm completely green at trying to match a finish. I need to build a canopy and get the stain to match my AGA stand.

au01st;348906 wrote: I would be interested in building a canopy. It would have to be on a weekend I don't work.

I'd bring pics of the stand to make the woodwork match and basic requirements like vent in the top fans to mount in the back.
No problem

cr500_af;348922 wrote: I'm in if it's on a Sunday. I am proficient enough at woodworking to build either piece, but I'm completely green at trying to match a finish. I need to build a canopy and get the stain to match my AGA stand.
what type or color is the aga stand.

The best way to describe it is pine construction with an oak finish. I've seen plenty just like it in LFS's. They're either black or "oak".

Good. I know I can build a canopy, but I'm still gonna avoid doing it ahead of time just because I know there are things that would make it nicer to live with day to day that I wouldn't think of all by myself. I want it to have the room to house MH's in case I come to that one day, but right now all it has to do is house T5s and moonlights, as well as giving me convenient access for feeding and maintenance. If there are any tools that you'd like to have duplicates of at the "workshop", such as drills, router, table saw, belt/disc sander I can bring mine. That way more people can work rather than "waiting in line". Just let me know.

Is that enough bait to make it a Sunday? :) I have to work every Saturday.

cr500_af;348967 wrote: Good. I know I can build a canopy, but I'm still gonna avoid doing it ahead of time just because I know there are things that would make it nicer to live with day to day that I wouldn't think of all by myself. I want it to have the room to house MH's in case I come to that one day, but right now all it has to do is house T5s and moonlights, as well as giving me convenient access for feeding and maintenance. If there are any tools that you'd like to have duplicates of at the "workshop", such as drills, router, table saw, belt/disc sander I can bring mine. That way more people can work rather than "waiting in line". Just let me know.

Is that enough bait to make it a Sunday? :) I have to work every Saturday.
We can sure try to make it a Sunday.

BigC07 said he'd be in to ride up there as well. Anyone have knowledge on making a canopy for a corner tank?

au01st;349129 wrote: BigC07 said he'd be in to ride up there as well. Anyone have knowledge on making a canopy for a corner tank?

OP, Grouper Therapy, does. I saw a stand/canopy he made for a half round that was outstanding.

I have not forgot about the ones interested. I have to finish a mahogany job and deliver it to Kentucky next week .When I get back we will set up a time and get going on this. I am looking forward to meeting you guys in person!

grouper therapy;351303 wrote: I am looking forward to meeting you guys in person!

Me too... it's a shame to have a fellow reefer in a town this size and never to have met.

grouper, when you do the corner/bow tanks, do you use vertical wood or curve the wood to match the tank? I ask because I built a stand for my 12G nano tank and all the wood work was curved (by me) to match the curve of the tank. The stand/canopy was lost when I split with my ex but I want to build a new one.

One Dumm Hikk;351342 wrote: grouper, when you do the corner/bow tanks, do you use vertical wood or curve the wood to match the tank? I ask because I built a stand for my 12G nano tank and all the wood work was curved (by me) to match the curve of the tank. The stand/canopy was lost when I split with my ex but I want to build a new one.
I think the pics above will answer your question .I am glad you asked it made me remember that stand. The guy that bought it has spent enormous amounts of money on it and it is supposedly awsome .I will try to get some pics.

grouper therapy;351350 wrote: this is the halfround i did yes the peices are laminated This one was african mahogany

WOW, that looks great!

Back