DIY stand and canopy

grouper therapy;351365 wrote: I think the pics above will answer your question .I am glad you asked it made me remember that stand. The guy that bought it has spent enormous amounts of money on it and it is supposedly awsome .I will try to get some pics.

Yes, it did. Very nice looking. I still have the jigs I used when I made mine. Its nowhere near as large physically and it wasn't a half circle. Probably more like 1/36th of a circle. The front is a bow front is all. But, the entire thing is curved on the front with the raised panel doors and it even had a drawer in the front of it. I have pics of it even though I don't have the stand/canopy anymore. They are on my desktop and I am on my laptop. Will try to post pics of it tomorrow. When I made my rails, I didn't have a steamer so I cut oak strips 1/4" thick, planed them down to 3/16, used 4 to curve and glue back up to make the curved pieces. The panels on the doors were done so that they would only be 4" wide or so and the panels were flat panels that were planed down to 1/4". The grain cupped the wood perfectly to match the curve. It also had curved crown molding and curved galley rail on it.

I swore I would never build another one but there were some things I didn't like about that one and with it now gone, I will build another one. Just not any time soon. When I get ready to, I will get hold of you and I would like to talk to you about some other ways to make the curved pieces if I don't have a steamer. Making one piece a day took me 13 days to make the 13 curved pieces. Not very fast :(

Any way I could come down and have you help me build a canopy for this really cool stand I'm having built out of Padauk????? :D

Maybe I will be caught up with this job by the weekend and then we can get together on a time. Please don't give up on me.

I can do most DIY stuff and any type elctrical and most electronics but when it comes to furniture ????
Your stuff is just gorgeous. I guess part of it is to have the right tools, but the other bigger part is to know how to use them. I see you have that second part down pat.

Put me on the list for a canopy for my 125g 72".....I will be out of town of and on for the next few weeks...could do during late July or early August on a weekend...let me know. No hurry, I have gone this long without it.

Thanks for the offer...

grouper therapy;352955 wrote: Maybe I will be caught up with this job by the weekend and then we can get together on a time. Please don't give up on me.

Are you going to be available this weekend???

Thanks,

Shane

Nothing to build for me yet, but I wanna see your closed loop, haha

Dibs...still looking for the canopy top build..thanks for all you do for the group.

LilRobb;383602 wrote: Nothing to build for me yet, but I wanna see your closed loop, haha
that's fine you can be quality control and keep our levels up to the high German standards

au01st;383623 wrote: Already got a canopy!

Thanks though! Awesome of you to do this.
that's cool . Just so everyone knows ,even if you don't have a project for yourself you are still welcome to come hangout and participate.

I would love to come by and hang out and meet and help build and get some ideas for my 180 gal stand and canopy to be built over the next few months.

I researched so much for my 180 stand and canopy build. I'll pm ya some links. Good stuff. If you have a fax # I can send you a bunch too

Sure fax is 706-298-0562 send away. I will have to stop in and see you when I pass through later this year on my trip to Orlando since I will be passing right through.

Sure man. Even have a 180 reef at the restaurant for "the kids" to enjoy.
Let me know when. There is also a drag strip right up the road that Don Garlits hosts a nostalgia shootout at every year.

Yes the track has just been redone so the team I use to work for test there now but I retired from that job in 2000 got tired of the travel gone most of the year but got to see plenty of this country & Canada.

Smoothie;383630 wrote: Sweet offer. When are you making your way down here to hangout?

Pretty soon. I thought I was going scalloping at Steinhatchee but had some work come in. I have not forgot you on the set up for the info you got me . The project got delayed but seems to be back on track.

Back